Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default If You Were Put In Charge Of Bringing Back Legends, How Would You Do It?

I feel there are plenty of stories left to tell in the old Expanded Universe. If you look at the complete timeline of Legends stories at the link below, it's filled with missing years between stories. In fact, I made a partial list of years where no stories take place:

46-136 ABY

42 ABY

37-39 ABY

30-34 ABY

20-21 ABY

15 ABY

9-4 BBY

14-11 BBY

16 BBY

26 BBY

31 BBY

37-34 BBY

42 BBY

52-45 BBY

66-54 BBY

999-68 BBY

To me, these blank spots in the timeline are like an empty canvis of storytelling potential.

https://i.redd.it/y9b3g0jr8nh81.jpg
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 06-15-2022 at 06:43 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Is there like a Silmarillion for Star Wars or something that comes close?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Is there like a Silmarillion for Star Wars or something that comes close?
    The Essential Star Wars Chronology might be the closest thing.

Some of the inter-trilogy stuff is actually still kind of canon, just modified to fit. Lando references his novels in SOLO although with L3 instead of Vuffi Raa. Thrawn's origin story is more or less the same with the exception of the Outbound project.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Some of the inter-trilogy stuff is actually still kind of canon, just modified to fit. Lando references his novels in SOLO although with L3 instead of Vuffi Raa. Thrawn's origin story is more or less the same with the exception of the Outbound project.
    It doesn't really matter to me if some of the Legends books are worked back into Canon. I'd rather have the new Canon be a completely clean slate instead of cherry picking certain stories from the old EU.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The Essential Star Wars Chronology might be the closest thing.
    Uuhhh... Mark Chiarello and Tommy Lee Edwards. What a great recommendation Thanx

I would say to the writers, "You were nearing an end point. We had a Sith vs Sith war coming. How many books do you need to reach that end point? Good, let's go with that."
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I would say to the writers, "You were nearing an end point. We had a Sith vs Sith war coming. How many books do you need to reach that end point? Good, let's go with that."
    I think there's a unlimited amount of stories that have left to be told in Lengends. There is a 92 year gap between Crucible and the start of the Legacy comics. For comparison, within the last 92 years before Crucible you had the Clone Wars, the Galactic Civil War, the Yuuzhan Vong War, and the second Galactic Civil War within that time frame.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Darth Bane. Darth Plagueis. Kyle Katarn. Mara Jade. Anyone else seems optional to me (outside stuff already confirmed like Thrawn and KOTOR).

Extraordinary Member

My only feelings on Legends are this:

- *If* new material were developed, it should have the capacity to be developed and deployed across all media platforms. No point in publishing stuff in a universe with an objectively better situation for the Skywalker Family (the biggest single contradiction between the two timelines that can’t be reconfigured for the Disney Era) if you aren’t just as likely to put it on Disney+ as stuff that features them doomed. It’s also the biggest reason it’s unlikely to actually get resurrected as a publishing timeline; there’s no chance LFL wants to offer a better alternative to their own stories.

BUT!…

- …Disney LFL might enjoy the benefits of a “soft Legends” kind of publishing line and “brainstorming farm”, akin to how Marvel Comics act for the MCU, and how some do the Legends stuff acts for The Mandalorian and other stuff right now. I’d recommend making a new designation - Like “Star Wars Tales” as opposed to the “Star War Stories” that have made up our two stand alone movies thus far - where the events in the book/comic/game are ambiguously canon, able to be ignored, adapted with some pragmatic editing, or straight up adapted if the Disney LFL thinks it’s a good idea.

Like, I’d label something like the Knights of the Old Republic games and comics “Tales” instead of “Legends”, in case someone realize that Zayne Carrick would make an awesome main character for a Disney+ show, and he already has a great story around him…
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I'm pretty sure there's sort of a non-canon or ambiguously canon thing already-The Lego Shows/specials/video games and the Visions shorts for example.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's sort of a non-canon or ambiguously canon thing already-The Lego Shows/specials/video games and the Visions shorts for example.
    Yeah, I’m just thinking it might be handy to scale that ambiguously canon side up a bit and unleash your creators to basically do brainstorming before a director comes in wanting to do something “different”. Visions is a good step in the right direction, but I’d prefer it if the partnership with Marvel was used for more than mostly just scrapping the bottom of the OT barrel some more.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    My only feelings on Legends are this:

- *If* new material were developed, it should have the capacity to be developed and deployed across all media platforms. No point in publishing stuff in a universe with an objectively better situation for the Skywalker Family (the biggest single contradiction between the two timelines that can’t be reconfigured for the Disney Era) if you aren’t just as likely to put it on Disney+ as stuff that features them doomed. It’s also the biggest reason it’s unlikely to actually get resurrected as a publishing timeline; there’s no chance LFL wants to offer a better alternative to their own stories.

BUT!…

- …Disney LFL might enjoy the benefits of a “soft Legends” kind of publishing line and “brainstorming farm”, akin to how Marvel Comics act for the MCU, and how some do the Legends stuff acts for The Mandalorian and other stuff right now. I’d recommend making a new designation - Like “Star Wars Tales” as opposed to the “Star War Stories” that have made up our two stand alone movies thus far - where the events in the book/comic/game are ambiguously canon, able to be ignored, adapted with some pragmatic editing, or straight up adapted if the Disney LFL thinks it’s a good idea.

Like, I’d label something like the Knights of the Old Republic games and comics “Tales” instead of “Legends”, in case someone realize that Zayne Carrick would make an awesome main character for a Disney+ show, and he already has a great story around him…
    That would be neat, but not necessarily what I had in mind. Publishing one or two Legends books a year wouldn't cause brand confusion anymore than the Star Wars Visions series or the out of continuity "Tales" line you are proposing. A small line of novels is hardly offering "a better alternative" to the canon that's appearing in movies, shows, and video games.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 07-06-2022 at 10:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    That would be neat, but not necessarily what I had in mind. Publishing one or two Legends books a year wouldn't cause brand confusion anymore than the Star Wars Visions series or the out of continuity "Tales" line you are proposing. A small line of novels is hardly offering "a better alternative" to the canon that's appearing in movies, shows, and video games.
    I don’t think audiences would get confused… but I also think that no one at current LFL wants to be behind anything that says “Grandpa Luke must train his son Ben and grandson Cade for an upcoming conflict while Empress Jaina Solo must navigate the treacheries of Imperial Court politics”… and then see that book sell when they can’t even figure out how to produce stuff based off Ben “The Gary Stu” Solo without pissing off half of the fans who watched TFA.

...Yes I still want Galen Marek. Yes, as Vader's secret apprentice. No, not as an Inquisitor. Inquisitors are ultimately loyal to Sidius. Marek would be raised to be loyal to only Vader.

...Okay, I mainly want him and Ahsoka to meet. Too much potential in that to just toss it aside.