Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    That art doesn't look that bad to me. I've seen worse. Comics are a visual medium but how many times have we seen that disproven> Many times. A good story trumps bad/ average.

I don't buy a lot of the excuses. This guy just came off a Harley book and he has done a lot of other titles yet I've never seen complaints like this. Maybe Tim fans should be more like Harley fans and look beyond the art
    I guess it comes down to a matter of taste but I just don't see how this is a good fit for Tim or a good art choice for his new ongoing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone not caring for the art. Comics are a visual medium after all.
    This I can understand. Let me guess, your daughter loves Harley?
    She put up with art that she wasn't fond of because she cares about the character. That is what I was expecting. I wasn't expecting fans who have been complaining for so long about the lack of a Tim solo to confidently declare it a miss when DC finally caves and gives in to their demands.

To pass on something that's long been wished for simply because the art isn't generically pretty seems a bit drastic to me.
    Granted Fitzmartin + the art could be enough of a reason to not 100% support the book.

Spectacular Member

To pass on something that's long been wished for simply because the art isn't generically pretty seems a bit drastic to me.
    I want to understand your point of view. Are you saying the customer owes it to a corporation to pay $3.99-$5.99 for a corporate product? As opposed to the corporation providing a quality product that meets the needs of the market?

That art doesn't look that bad to me. I've seen worse. Comics are a visual medium but how many times have we seen that disproven> Many times. A good story trumps bad/ average.
    The book will have a uphill battle then, cause the writer doesn't inspire trust either.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Rossmo's art makes sense for certain types of books.

Someone zany like Harley could get away with that art style but that doesn't scream Tim in any sense of the word.

It's just not the right fit, art should reflect the character especially if you're going for something like this. It's just off-putting to look at in a Tim Drake book, its not going to make me personally want to read it.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Ultimate Member

She put up with art that she wasn't fond of because she cares about the character. That is what I was expecting. I wasn't expecting fans who have been complaining for so long about the lack of a Tim solo to confidently declare it a miss when DC finally caves and gives in to their demands.

I think it's more of a battle of WHO is being drawn that is the issue.

We saw it with Greg Land.

Put him on X-Men-folks make it rain with money and ignore his flaws and what he traces. Because that is Jean, Emma, Storm, Rogue and so on.
    Put him on Mighty Avengers-his flaws make the book unbuyable. Despite Jessica, Monica, White Tiger, Dr Occ Spider-Man and Luke Cage.

I want to understand your point of view. Are you saying the customer owes it to a corporation to pay $3.99-$5.99 for a corporate product? As opposed to the corporation providing a quality product that meets the needs of the market?
    Okay if NOBODY had an issue with the artist to the point of NOT buying the book because of him. How does a company know to NOT put him on another book? Or hire him?

We have seen too many put character over art.

I have google this man and what is the issue? Aside from that one image of Jay Leno Robin-what is the problem?

For me, I'll be buying it, but I think a lot of people here will agree with me, they'll buy it, but they have no confidence that Rossmo will pull in the non-Tim fanatic enough to help the book sell.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I know it's petty AF but that " The world's greatest Robin returns" line on the cover really cheeses me off. I think the solicit said something along the lines of "everyone's favourite Robin". The way they're pushing this book is annoying me. Why does DC always do this with Tim? Let me come to like the character organically, put in the work. Pitching him as better than the other Robins is nothing but off-putting for me.

I'm mildly intrigued about the houseboat but I don't like the way the writer has handled the Tim/Bernard stuff. I'm fine that he's bisexual but Bernard is such a bland character and I don't like how she treated Stephanie as a prop. So a bit on the fence.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think it's more of a battle of WHO is being drawn that is the issue.

We saw it with Greg Land.

Put him on X-Men-folks make it rain with money and ignore his flaws and what he traces. Because that is Jean, Emma, Storm, Rogue and so on.
    Put him on Mighty Avengers-his flaws make the book unbuyable. Despite Jessica, Monica, White Tiger, Dr Occ Spider-Man and Luke Cage.

Okay if NOBODY had an issue with the artist to the point of NOT buying the book because of him. How does a company know to NOT put him on another book? Or hire him?

We have seen too many put character over art.

I have google this man and what is the issue? Aside from that one image of Jay Leno Robin-what is the problem?
    If you look at his Batgirls art the issue comes down to the angles, inking and the feel of the book. I think in this case it's the issue of how he has worked with other books, and that the art style works well for action, but not if you're having a standing still talking moment. Or a dramatic pose. It's like...Oh trying to think here, that one artist that used to use heavy inks and his lines were really angled for one of the x men books in the 2000s. People got turned off due to how the art wasn't appealing to the eye, and the same for this guy. He can draw well, but a lot of the time the art doesn't work when it comes to certain things.

Because he previously worked with Batgirls so they want to keep him in the bat office for some reason. again he's not a bad artist, but to me his art has not been appealing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    If you look at his Batgirls art the issue comes down to the angles, inking and the feel of the book. I think in this case it's the issue of how he has worked with other books, and that the art style works well for action, but not if you're having a standing still talking moment. Or a dramatic pose. It's like...Oh trying to think here, that one artist that used to use heavy inks and his lines were really angled for one of the x men books in the 2000s. People got turned off due to how the art wasn't appealing to the eye, and the same for this guy. He can draw well, but a lot of the time the art doesn't work when it comes to certain things.

Because he previously worked with Batgirls so they want to keep him in the bat office for some reason. again he's not a bad artist, but to me his art has not been appealing.
    Has Rossmo drawn Batgirls? Or are you thinking of Jorge Corona?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    If you look at his Batgirls art the issue comes down to the angles, inking and the feel of the book. I think in this case it's the issue of how he has worked with other books, and that the art style works well for action, but not if you're having a standing still talking moment.
    If you talk about Jorge Corona, iirc in some of the issues even the action was kind of messy and hard to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I know it's petty AF but that " The world's greatest Robin returns" line on the cover really cheeses me off. I think the solicit said something along the lines of "everyone's favourite Robin". The way they're pushing this book is annoying me. Why does DC always do this with Tim? Let me come to like the character organically, put in the work. Pitching him as better than the other Robins is nothing but off-putting for me.

I'm mildly intrigued about the houseboat but I don't like the way the writer has handled the Tim/Bernard stuff. I'm fine that he's bisexual but Bernard is such a bland character and I don't like how she treated Stephanie as a prop. So a bit on the fence.
    Feels pretty on-brand for a Fitzmartin book from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post

And that’s why I’m not going to support this book. It’s the writer. I’d give the artist a chance, but I’m not going to give the writer a chance.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Logo revealed.

Though shouldn't the R be in the corner box instead of the (yellow circle) bat emblem? That's not even the one used on Bruce's comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Where did his chin go?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Where did his chin go?
    Cover says it's by Dan Mora (along the bar code bottom right.)

Cover by RICARDO LÓPEZ ORTIZ
    One Year Later Era variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
    Harley 30th variant cover by DAVID BALDEON
    Debut Era 1:25 variant cover by SWEENEY BOO
    Young Justice Era 1:50 variant cover by DAN MORA
    Teen Titans Era 1:100 variant cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL

Chins will be inside! .