Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

This means Rossmo is finished on Harley Quinn. In fact he is not scheduled for any of the 5 Harley Quinn books scheduled for August, nor even any of the countless covers (5 books with variants).

The HQ Annual solicit says

Tune in for the final installment of Harley Quinn’s Task Force XX Space Extravaganza, plus the start of a new status quo for Harley Quinn!

It's like they decided to burn off the entire final Stephanie Phillips story in August. So maybe showing no real confidence, rather than what looked like a lot of confidence, in this run of the character.

I would hope for a completely new creative team. Replacing Rossmo is start, and I would also like to see someone else have a chance to write in place of Stephanie Phillips.

Wondering what Harley Quinn fans think, but I didn't spot a general Appreciation thread for her.

That said, Rossmo does seem like an unusual choice for a book about Tim Drake. But you could say that about anything Rossmo works on. He's polarizing. His fans like him, but no one seems to be entirely neutral about his style.

There will be a lot of people who will dislike the Tim Drake book entirely because of the art.

Mighty Member

Riley Rossmo's art is fine it gives a book a unique personality but books like Robin and Batgirls are meant to appeal to a broad audience who tend to like conventional art so, I feel artists like Riley Rossmo and Jorge Corona whose artwork is fun and exciting don't work well on these types of books.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Riley Rossmo's art is fine it gives a book a unique personality but books like Robin and Batgirls are meant to appeal to a broad audience who tend to like conventional art so, I feel artists like Riley Rossmo and Jorge Corona whose artwork is fun and exciting don't work well on these types of books.
    I just don't think Rossmo when I think Tim Drake. Especially compared to the artists who've been handling his recent stories.

Ya I thought many here would be upset at the writer and artist but we cant have it all. I am still going to give it a shot.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    This means Rossmo is finished on Harley Quinn. In fact he is not scheduled for any of the 5 Harley Quinn books scheduled for August, nor even any of the countless covers (5 books with variants).

The HQ Annual solicit says

Tune in for the final installment of Harley Quinn’s Task Force XX Space Extravaganza, plus the start of a new status quo for Harley Quinn!

It's like they decided to burn off the entire final Stephanie Phillips story in August. So maybe showing no real confidence, rather than what looked like a lot of confidence, in this run of the character.

I would hope for a completely new creative team. Replacing Rossmo is start, and I would also like to see someone else have a chance to write in place of Stephanie Phillips.

Wondering what Harley Quinn fans think, but I didn't spot a general Appreciation thread for her.

That said, Rossmo does seem like an unusual choice for a book about Tim Drake. But you could say that about anything Rossmo works on. He's polarizing. His fans like him, but no one seems to be entirely neutral about his style.

There will be a lot of people who will dislike the Tim Drake book entirely because of the art.
    Riley confirmed a couple weeks ago on Twitter that #17 is his last issue, but Stephanie Philips said she was sticking on the book with plenty more story to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    but Stephanie Philips said she was sticking on the book with plenty more story to tell.
    (double facepalm)
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Rossmo is an incredibly weird pick considering they've been emphasizing Tim to be young and pretty, with pouty lips and delicate features. Rossmo is definitely not drawing Tim and Bernard like that.

Its not consistent with the art-style image they've been giving Tim.

Sweet, after more than a decade, finally another solo for Tim.

Not really into the artists work, but the variants are nice, I'm looking forward to seeing some more 'old school' Tim Robin stories again.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Rossmo is an incredibly weird pick considering they've been emphasizing Tim to be young and pretty, with pouty lips and delicate features. Rossmo is definitely not drawing Tim and Bernard like that.

Its not consistent with the art-style image they've been giving Tim.
    Agreed, I wonder if this book will have more of a quirky urban supernatural element to it that works Rossmo art-style and Fitzmartin writing after all he is going to be living on a 'murder boat'

I think it good sign DC is looking to develop Tim beyond his sexuality by moving from the 'pretty-boy' art style

Agreed, I wonder if this book will have more of a quirky urban supernatural element to it that works Rossmo art-style and Fitzmartin writing after all he is going to be living on a 'murder boat'

I think it good sign DC is looking to develop Tim beyond his sexuality by moving from the 'pretty-boy' art style
    My sentiments exactly. I'm not a Tim fan by any means but with all the complaints and fear that Tim's gonna be pigeon holed as bi-Robin, it's got to be a positive that DC seemingly is leaning away from focusing heavily on the pretty twinks in love vibe.

It's almost like we 'comic fans' are never satisfied.

All those complaining about bernard not being developed, well this their chance to develop the character and show more about why Tim feel for him.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Let's just not branch into Batwoman territory and be Supernatural. We don't need that sort of thing going on. I'm glad they're trying a new artist out, and Murder boat seems a bit interesting. But why though? And if he's doing his own thing, I guess, I was assuming we would see him playing more of a role in a different set up. What threw me was the "Bernard and everyone he cares about." I don't remember them ever doing that with any of his other girlfriends. Just...odd for the marketing team to specify this. I haven't been impressed with her writing on this, doesn't mean she's a terrible writer, just these felt very wordy and out of character for most of the characters. Honestly I hope that there's a balance here, more in line with how Marvel does Kamala, or Miles, or even previously with Dixion and Fabian's work on Tim's other Robin Series, action and room to grow the characters. If...and this is a big IF...Bernard manages in the first arc to become an interesting person I'll take a wait and see role on where their relationship goes and hope that it's more in line with how Billy and Teddy have been shown, or MJ and Peter, where they can interact but they are separate and interesting people. If it's more in line with how some manga writers just have the female love interest only there to make out with the lead (see a lot of "Traveled to a fantasy world and I got a harem" stories that were plaguing the Japanese light novel market for a while), then I'm out and I'll wait till the writer switches.

I'd rather have a well written story with the romance that's developed in a way that shows how the characters grow as a couple, than a fast throw them together we're perfect for one another, type deal. Because regardless of sexuality, I'm pretty sure most agree that a badly written romance story, sucks over one that's at least competent and good, even if you don't like the pairing all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I'm not a Tim fan by any means but with all the complaints and fear that Tim's gonna be pigeon holed as bi-Robin, it's got to be a positive that DC seemingly is leaning away from focusing heavily on the pretty twinks in love vibe.

All those complaining about bernard not being developed, well this their chance to develop the character and show more about why Tim feel for him.
    Yeah I'm glad to see it. I mean, Tim being bi is fine, no problems with it, I'll welcome the exploration, but it's got to not be his only trait. And yes as you put it, nice to see good looking guys (this coming from a cis hetro woman) but after a while if that's all there is is fluff, then it's not really worth the read to me, because it becomes dull after a while. Same thing happens if it's two pretty girls, or a pretty guy and a pretty girl, if there's nothing there but the art and cute stuff, then it's dull and your story goes no where!

I don't think comic fans can't be satisfied, I think because we're used to the aspect of serialization, we want strong writers to balance out both an interesting hero story (mystery, adventure, what have you), but also one where the character's civilian life can interest us between the amazing feats as it were. And I think part of the issue with a LOT of new writers that they are getting, not just at DC, but Marvel and other places, is that they're all coming from tv and film and the like, not from literary places, or have backgrounds in writing books (Rucka, for example) or have had a wider writing career before they came into writing comics (JMS for example, Peter David, G. willow Wilson, etc.) or even came up the comic pipe line into this world. And I think that's a part of it for some, not all, of the newer writers.

I hope that is true, and I hope that She allows some additional aspects of their relationship to happen, like an actual fight or something. (Actually what would be some what interesting is if Tim found out where Steph's baby was and for whatever reason Bernard thought that Tim was the dad, could make for an interesting conflict if he thought Tim was a father and all that ramifications. Or if because of some other former love interest of Tim's they had a fight, or the reverse. Something! Because with Steph we had those all the damn time.) We need to know more about THIS version of him. Does he still think Tim's mom is hot? Is he still into the conspiracy scene? What's up with him knowing how to fight in the first place?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That Tim died with the assassination that New 52 did to him.
    THIS RIGHT HERE......

At least they are trying to expand something with him and to piggyback on what others have said-books with the male lead dating a male are not always about sex.

This was the same mess with Kevin Keller at Archie-not one story had him screwing anyone not even his husband.

Meanwhile Midnighter did have that of sorts-to zero complaints.

Meanwhile Vixen seems to be having it done to her in a non-canon Harley book-so where are the grips about that?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    THIS RIGHT HERE......

At least they are trying to expand something with him and to piggyback on what others have said-books with the male lead dating a male are not always about sex.

This was the same mess with Kevin Keller at Archie-not one story had him screwing anyone not even his husband.

Meanwhile Midnighter did have that of sorts-to zero complaints.

Meanwhile Vixen seems to be having it done to her in a non-canon Harley book-so where are the grips about that?
    Wait what did they do to Vixien?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

To be honest I half-expect Fitzmartin to still write the book like that.

Also I'm just not convinced Fitzmartin is going to be able to genuinely handle developing the relationship properly seeing how she handled Steph in the Pride special and the general execution so far.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That Tim died with the assassination that New 52 did to him.
    Red Robin for the win, that solo title was perfect man I wished they would have continued that but instead...