Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I find it strange that almost none are talking about their hopes for this new series.
    Sounds like some people are hoping they change artists soon . . .

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I find it strange that almost none are talking about their hopes for this new series.

I hope Tim gets a new name that does not include 'Robin'. Tim also needs his own niche in the Batfamily.

Or is everyone just tired of talking about that because it is goes nowhere?
    Kay. I want his murder boat shack to be an actual murder boat shack. Like it doesn't look high tech from the outside, but you get a crime lab there.

Also since it's in Gotham I want the location to be at Dixon Docks. I forget specifically where it was in Gotham, but if it's in the west harbor of middle island like I remember, that's close to where The Triad used to operate, if they're still around.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Robin by Rossmo...dear sweet mercy. As hopeful as I was when this series was announced, i now could not care less.

FVxN8XIWAAAnNv5.jpg

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Robin by Rossmo...dear sweet mercy. As hopeful as I was when this series was announced, i now could not care less.

FVxN8XIWAAAnNv5.jpg
    Now I think Steph is lucky. She wouldn't want to be seen in public with this creepy, disturbing looking guy.

DC wants to throw money away for some reason on books that have no chance of succeeding. This is HIDEOUS!

I guess they can afford to pay the page rates to produce this and ship a few copies to a few shops that order it. It's like the plot of The Producers - the intention is to lose money. Maybe it's a useful tax write-off for them.

(I realize Rossmo does have fans, though I can't think of a single other artist so widely disliked. And I know some people will go into this with an open mind, or are strong enough fans of the character to want to see what happens, or support any book starring Tim. But this doesn't look likely to appeal to a broad audience.)

Mighty Member

FVxN8XIWAAAnNv5.jpg
    I like Rossmo's art but I was also hoping that for a book like Robin he would have gone for a less stylized character designs which he is capable of doing.

This is going to be Batgirls all over again. This is not just about the mlm shippers who like 'pretty characters' but the audience who characters like Batgirls, Robin, Nightwing...etc are aimed at tend to like more conventional art style.

I usually don't mind his art. He is not my favorite artist but I can appreciate the energy behind his work.
    That said, that chin is a big no no.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I feel like I'm looking at some weird early 2000s how to draw comics art panel. Like, not something I would pick but we will see.

Echoing what was said above, boat should be at the Dixon Docks, and should have a crime lab inside. Also we need to have a name on this that becomes a running gag, like Young Just Us, becomes Young Justice.

I think she'll do fine with Murder Mystery stories as Fitzmartin is a former writer at Supernatural and yhe two episodes she did were fairly well crafted, and strong so on that front she will do well. I just don't want Tim to be Dean and Bernard to be Castiel in this case
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 06-23-2022 at 10:09 AM.

Incredible Member

Adding to what I wrote above, I do think that Rossmo draws very expressive faces and excellent body language/acting. His main and background characters are always doing something - even if they are just standing around, their postures are always interesting and suit the scene. You can guess what they are thinking and how they are reacting to the situation. They are the opposite of just standing around stiffly, which one sees in too many comics.

But, his panels are usually very cluttered, and his page composition is often all over the place, totally unconventional and rule breaking, sometimes running right to left. On some pages, he has drawn arrows to indicate the panel sequence, and while that could just be a stylish flourish, it might be the editor who insisted it was needed.

So I can appreciate his considerable skill. But that doesn't mean I enjoy looking at it. I can look and go "How expressive these characters are! How great the body language is." But also: "How garish, how ugly, how oppressive, and what a big headache this is giving me." It can be brilliant and awful at the same time.

I saw an interview with him where he said people basically read comic text and don't really look at the art, but just take it in subliminally. I doubt too many people here would agree with that. But if he believes that, his style almost makes sense. Like he is exaggerating to try to get through to the readers he thinks aren't really looking.

FVxN8XIWAAAnNv5.jpg
    I'm not entirely against Rossmo's art but this is a big warning sign he's not a good fit for the book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Sounds like some people are hoping they change artists soon . . .
    I'm beginning to see why...

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I usually don't mind his art. He is not my favorite artist but I can appreciate the energy behind his work.
    That said, that chin is a big no no.
    Yeah, it's Desperate Dan sized! Not what you'd expect to see on a teenager.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

At least it's not the chin of that Harley supporting character...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least it's not the chin of that Harley supporting character...
    Maybe he borrowed Jay Leno's chin?

Are comic fans this shallow or are you guys just hating on this artist because Tim isn't good
    looking so you can't project?

He's not hot so I won't support it.
    This has been Tim's problem for a while now. When this series fails, Tim fans will once again complain about how DC ignores him and how DC favours Damian. Forgetting that they are the ones who failed to support this for reasons.

Just like with Bendis YJ
    Red Robin
    Tim as Batman Beyond

This ridiculous. Tim has a book. Buy it and let this back and forth just end.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Are comic fans this shallow or are you guys just hating on this artist because Tim isn't good looking so you can't project?

He's not hot so I won't support it.
    This has been Tim's problem for a while now. When this series fails, Tim fans will once again complain about how DC ignores him and how DC favours Damian. Forgetting that they are the ones who failed to support this for reasons . . .
    But if people like a character, should they support his book no matter how terrible it is?

Wouldn't that just be telling DC that it doesn't matter how much effort DC puts into it, just put out any piece of crap with Tim and DC will make money off of it?