Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Anyone read this issue yet?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Anyone read this issue yet?
    I did, nothing much but Spidey with help by Kareem and beating up Rose gangsters, some interesting development from Tombstone and the Robertsons, you don't see MJ beyond what been shown in the preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I did, nothing much but Spidey with help by Kareem and beating up Rose gangsters, some interesting development from Tombstone and the Robertsons, you don't see MJ beyond what been shown in the preview.
    Anything with Felecia or was that it too?

BANNED

Not quite sure if Rich is leading us on or anything, but here he's leaning in on the theory Paul is a control freak and even alludes to a 'biblical' connection between him and Peter

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/fina...-spider-man-4/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Not quite sure if Rich is leading us on or anything, but here he's leaning in on the theory Paul is a control freak and even alludes to a 'biblical' connection between him and Peter

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/fina...-spider-man-4/
    The bibilical connection is their names. Peter and Paul are credited with founding the Christian church. Peter was “the rock” as one of Jesus’s original twelve disciples. Paul was a convert to Christianity who was a prolific letter writer and his writings make up most of the New Testament. However, Peter and Paul appeared to have clashed on at least one occasion (Peter was susceptible to peer pressure and could be hypocritical- he’s the disciple who rejected Jesus three times under pressure - and Paul calls him out for another instance of switching of his position in Galatians 2. But then Paul was a hard nose and rather authoritarian). But there’s not enough evidence to say they were bitter rivals or locked in a power struggle, at least as far as I’ve been taught.

Don’t really think there is anything to be gained by looking at the Bible for clues - although the Biblical Paul was also a control freak - nor does Wells strike me as someone who uses a lot of literary/religious motifs in his work - he writes in pretty broad stokes that aren’t exactly subtle and falls more firmly into the frat boy snark and/or violence for violence’s sake camps - but who know where this going other than a way to manufacture cheap suspense by keeping the reader in the dark when the characters all fully know what is happening?

I will say that turning Mary Jane Watson - who came from an abusive home with a controlling father, who ran away from her family because she swore never to be put in that position again, who took years to accept a loving committed relationship with Peter was a place where she could thrive - into someone cowering in the closet to take a phone call and cutting herself off from others and lying to friends while apparently saying “I love you” to someone she met no longer than six months ago - and now that person is speculated to be emotionally abusive and controlling - is a really, really, REALLY a fundamental misunderstanding of the character and her history. I hope Wells has an explanation for his character assassination but I’m not holding my breath.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 06-22-2022 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Anything with Felecia or was that it too?
    Yeah that was it for Felicia.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    The bibilical connection is their names. Peter and Paul are credited with founding the Christian church. Peter was “the rock” as one of Jesus’s original twelve disciples. Paul was a convert to Christianity who was a prolific letter writer and his writings make up most of the New Testament. However, Peter and Paul appeared to have clashed on at least one occasion (Peter was susceptible to peer pressure and could by hypocritical- he’s the disciple who rejected Jesus three times under pressure.
    If you wanna go deep, you could say agreeing to a deal with Mephisto under pressure was him rejecting Jesus....

BANNED

ROFL, Tombstone played Spidey hardcore...
    spoilers:
    Peter wins the whole gang war for him by disabling the Rose's operation and Robbie and Tombstone celebrate Randy and Janice's engagement
    end of spoilers

Sounds like this is all wrapped up, issue 5's probably gonna be a less intense wrap-up that follows up on developments with the cast.

Well that was...interesting
    So does that mean Robbie, Randy and his new wife are done with ASM and moving on as they are no longer needed?
    Last edited by Mercwmouth12; 06-22-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

spoilers:
    Peter wins the whole gang war for him by disabling the Rose's operation and Robbie and Tombstone celebrate Randy and Janice's engagement
    end of spoilers
    People are going to hate that twist, but I personally really liked it.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    People are going to hate that twist, but I personally really liked it.
    i agree i liked the twist, it was a clever way to handle it

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Sounds like this is all wrapped up, issue 5's probably gonna be a less intense wrap-up that follows up on developments with the cast.
    The saga of "The Amazing Tombstone" continues.