Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Man

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Arrogant man learns humility and attempts to use their powers to atone for past misdeed is a staple of Marvel stories.

Simon is straightforward enough; failed businessman and actor gets a career boost thanks to experiments that grant him super powers but he later learns that it's killing him and he has to do the bad guys bidding if he wants to survive.

If they want an actor besides Nathan Fillion for the role they could re cast the latter as Eric William/Grim Reaper or go meta and claim that Simon was his overlooked stunt double or go with the claim that they both share the same name (ala Michael Douglas and Michael 'Keaton' Douglas) and that's another reason why his career never took off.

For heroes they could have She Hulk cameo in this. Or even White Vision or Wong (since this is apparently Phase Wong). Or use this as a vehicle to introduce Beast, Heracles or Dazzler. Herc and Amadeus Cho meeting in this could be fun. Maybe Spider-Man swings by and makes a crack at the filming of an in-universe Spider-Man documentary. A Daredevil or Luke Cage appearance could be fun (although I'm not sure if they've ever interacted with WM).

What would be absolutely hilarious though is if Simon meets Nick Fury in this (or Talos disguised as Fury) and later he sees SLJ as SLJ somewhere and calls him Fury prompting 'I'm not Nick Fury. Who is that anyway? Do I look like Fury to you?'.
    Simon and Eric's dynamic in the comics is pretty messed up. I know MCU can do some messed up stuff (MK) so I hope we see some of that here, especially with how much of a psycho Grim Reaper is.

I will guess that they'll compress his story where he starts as an arrogant actor, blah blah blah, dies and is brought back with powers by his evil brother, whom he has to stop and thus becomes a hero while saving his Hollywoo career.

I wonder how many of his comic looks they'll fit in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Which of these elements are essential to a Wonder Man adaptation?
    • Failed industrialist who breaks the law
    • Complicated relationship with his brother
    • Starts out blaming Tony Stark
    • The Masters of Evil or Zemo giving him powers
    • Simon as a being of ionic energy (as opposed to some other powers a la Ms Marvel)
    • Dying then coming back to life
    • Involvement with the Avengers
    • Relationship with Wanda and/or Vision
    • Pacifist
    • Actor/stuntman
    You missed the most important element -- turning on his benefactors.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope it is not some new hideousness instead of one of Simon's beloved looks.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I hope it is not some new hideousness instead of one of Simon's beloved looks.
    I hope its not one of Simon's old hideous looks...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

With the movie star element I think it would be fun if they did them all. In much the same way that Halloween allowed us to see comic accurate costumes for Wanda and Vision the idea that "it's a tv show" would allow us to see the whackier Wonderman costumes here.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I can imagine a montage where Simon tries out different costumes and some of them are his worst looks from the comics.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Boisterously Confused

Which of these elements are essential to a Wonder Man adaptation?
    • Failed industrialist who breaks the law see below
    • Complicated relationship with his brother
    • Starts out blaming Tony Stark
    • The Masters of Evil or Zemo giving him powers
    • Simon as a being of ionic energy (as opposed to some other powers a la Ms Marvel)
    • Turning on his benefactors
    • Dying then coming back to life
    • Involvement with the Avengers
    • Relationship with Wanda and/or Vision
    • Pacifist
    • Actor/stuntman
    I don't know that we necessarily need Simon to be an industrialist. They could include his actor/stuntman history by having him be a failed media mogul that breaks the law.
    Any evil genius will do for juicing him up. For that matter, what's Justin Hammer up to these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    You missed the most important element -- turning on his benefactors.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I don't know that we necessarily need Simon to be an industrialist. They could include his actor/stuntman history by having him be a failed media mogul that breaks the law.
    Any evil genius will do for juicing him up. For that matter, what's Justin Hammer up to these days?
    Completely agree.
    I see Hammer as a tech guy.(and not a very good one at that) What if they finally decide to bring in The Leader? That could be fun.

I'm guessing Hammer is likely going to be in Armor Wars.

Boisterously Confused

I see Hammer as a tech guy.(and not a very good one at that) What if they finally decide to bring in The Leader? That could be fun.
    Oh, MCU Hammer's not the guy to do it, but he's absolutely the guy to hire somebody to do it, and then have it spin completely out of control.

I'm guessing Hammer is likely going to be in Armor Wars.
    Man, I really really hope so. Rockwell is so good in the role and I hope he gets to do more with it.

It would be a good opportunity to bring in his father as Hammer Sr who has to come out retirement to rebuild his company after his son drove it into the ground.

Seeing Sam Rockwell's Hammer interacting with an old cranky comic accurate Hammer Sr would be so much fun. Get someone like Malcolm McDowell to play him. Maybe Hammer Industries is now financing movies and giving Simon super powers is part of their plan to raise their profile and also cut costs on special effects.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly