Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Man

Astonishing Member

Tigra has a lot more going on than her visual (which is pretty cool -- the tail is unnecessary as it was added about a decade after she reviewed and adds nothing to the character). Aside from enhanced strength, speed and agility (basically Spider-Man class), she has enhanced senses and durable claws. She also has an empathy power which allows her to pick up on injuries or weaknesses in a opponent. I don't think that ability has ever been fully explored.

Perhaps her most unique trait is that in comics, she had a short-career as more traditional masked heroine (the Cat), before her career was cut short by a potentially fatal does of radiation that necessitated her being transformed into Tigra.

I think using makeup would be cheesy as far as adding stripes -- unless they totally revamp her look.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Tigra has a lot more going on than her visual (which is pretty cool -- the tail is unnecessary as it was added about a decade after she reviewed and adds nothing to the character). Aside from enhanced strength, speed and agility (basically Spider-Man class), she has enhanced senses and durable claws. She also has an empathy power which allows her to pick up on injuries or weaknesses in a opponent. I don't think that ability has ever been fully explored.

Perhaps her most unique trait is that in comics, she had a short-career as more traditional masked heroine (the Cat), before her career was cut short by a potentially fatal does of radiation that necessitated her being transformed into Tigra.
    Cool, but none of that tells me anything about her as a person and why she might be a compelling character. Nothing against her, I've read a bunch of books where she appeared, but I don't recall seeing anyone try to develop her. Other than history, is there a reason she might pop up in a "Wonder Man" show that makes sense for the character?

Astonishing Member

James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy) tweeted in a response for a fan's desire to see Simon in the safari jacket -- that he'd prefer something closer to his original costume. Amen brother!

The safari jacket came about when Simon was full of doubts of being a superhero. If they use it at all -- it shouldn't be the first thing he wears. It could be used if they transition from the early, confident powerhouse -- to the period after he was resurrected and afraid of dying again. But it should only be used sparingly before he would move onto a more traditional uniform.

James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy) tweeted in a response for a fan's desire to see Simon in the safari jacket -- that he'd prefer something closer to his original costume. Amen brother!

The safari jacket came about when Simon was full of doubts of being a superhero. If they use it at all -- it shouldn't be the first thing he wears. It could be used if they transition from the early, confident powerhouse -- to the period after he was resurrected and afraid of dying again. But it should only be used sparingly before he would move onto a more traditional uniform.
    OMG! That's Awesome!! Glad we have an ally when it comes to the OG costume (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-01-2022 at 06:42 AM.

Marvel already prefers for their heroes to not wear masks or headsocks and Simon's had several popular looks in the comics without one, so... I doubt we'll ever see the original outfit as anything other than a joke or easter egg. But ... y'never know...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Yes, me too!

I LOVE this costume!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Cool, but none of that tells me anything about her as a person and why she might be a compelling character. Nothing against her, I've read a bunch of books where she appeared, but I don't recall seeing anyone try to develop her. Other than history, is there a reason she might pop up in a "Wonder Man" show that makes sense for the character?
    She was depicted/developed pretty well in the original West Coast Avengers run. Where the team was, decidedly, not treated like a joke.

Astonishing Member

She does have a biology background and worked along side the scientist her developed her Cat powers. So there is a potential for her as Greer (pre-Cat/pre-Tigra) to be in a lab that is developing the process to give Wonder Man his abilities. That said -- I don't necessarily think a Wonder Man series is the best place to introduce her. Moon Knight may be better since as Tigra -- her origins are mystical. As a person, she was very similar to Spider-Man (the Cat was basically a female version of Spider-Man), but even though she retained that flippant attitude when fighting, she also had to resist a dark/feral side.

I think there is a lot of potential to develop the character as the comic book universe hasn't done anything great with her since the 70s -- though she had a decent mini-series at the turn of the century.

Astonishing Member

Marvel already prefers for their heroes to not wear masks or headsocks and Simon's had several popular looks in the comics without one, so... I doubt we'll ever see the original outfit as anything other than a joke or easter egg. But ... y'never know...
    One of the most annoying scenes in Avengers: Engame is when all of the heroes came back -- and showed up without their masks. That is just silly, but it is what it is. I don't think Simon necessarily needs a head sock (thought I would prefer him with one -- and the shades), but the first outfit needs to be bright and over-the-top.

Still flying

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

There's Alan Tudyk (Beast) and Nathan Fillion (Wonder Man) right there!!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    How about Jon hamm?
    I agree that Hamm may be too old. But the role really could use an actor like Hamm or Anson Mount, aside from their almost throw-back cinema-star looks, they both aged really well, and both manage to do weighty or silly with equal ease.

She does have a biology background and worked along side the scientist her developed her Cat powers. So there is a potential for her as Greer (pre-Cat/pre-Tigra) to be in a lab that is developing the process to give Wonder Man his abilities. That said -- I don't necessarily think a Wonder Man series is the best place to introduce her. Moon Knight may be better since as Tigra -- her origins are mystical. As a person, she was very similar to Spider-Man (the Cat was basically a female version of Spider-Man), but even though she retained that flippant attitude when fighting, she also had to resist a dark/feral side.

I think there is a lot of potential to develop the character as the comic book universe hasn't done anything great with her since the 70s -- though she had a decent mini-series at the turn of the century.
    She's also a former cop.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I know I’m going to be in the minority on this, but I don’t love Nathan Fillion for this. He’s too old.
    A) He is a bit long in the tooth, but I'm okay with that. Middle-aged dudes can superhero, I don't mind.
    B) I do not know if he's willing to do a Chris Evans/Chris Pratt style makeover to massively bulk up, and I *do not* want a 'fake muscle suit' (or less than jacked) Wonder Man.
    C) He was reportedly kinda nasty during Castle, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am throwing money at projects starring him, no matter how much I loved him in Firefly and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

But that last point is moot, 'cause I'm already going to have a Disney+ subscription for many other reasons, so it's not like I'm giving *him* money specifically, just like how my tax dollars go to support all sorts of stuff I don't personally love.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Still waiting for tigra in the mcu. Would she be make up on a actress or cg like she-hulk?
    Never going to happen. Remember "Cats"? Hollywood remembers.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Never going to happen. Remember "Cats"? Hollywood remembers.
    Or Cheetah...