Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Man

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That version definitely reads as purple but I feel like most of the depictions of the energy version were definitely blue and the action figures based on that era are totally blue too.
    It was supposed to be purple. A very dark purple, nearly black. But I never could get the color separators to do that.

Probably didn't help that I kept requesting it of the editor, and it had to filter through multiple levels of other people before it got to anyone actually doing the color seps.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope they treat Grim Reaper better than She-Hulk treated it's villains.

Wonder Man's more purple energy than blue energy.
    FWIW, I always thought of it him purple as well. Pretty sure most depictions were more purple than blue. (or a purplish blue at most) Who knows what the show will do though as purple energy seems to have a certain connotation in the MCU. Personally, I'd be fine if they went with him only having red eyes rather than the energy form he had after his resurrection.

If they do use Grim Reaper, I would think he'd be handled better than She-Hulk villains since GR is Simon's brother. I would think the writers would want to delve into that as it's the main reason to include him.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-05-2022 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    It's a Safari jacket dyed red. Safari jackets should have been left in the 70s with Smoking jackets and ascots. Dying it bright red just makes it more garish.
    Still don't think it looks that bad. Anyway I want the Hollywood version of WM to be in this.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    It was supposed to be purple. A very dark purple, nearly black. But I never could get the color separators to do that.

Probably didn't help that I kept requesting it of the editor, and it had to filter through multiple levels of other people before it got to anyone actually doing the color seps.

kdb
    Never knew that, I've spent a good chunk of my life thinking he was royal blue. Funny to think that issues plaguing comic production haven't changed much since the Hulk went from gray to green.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    FWIW, I always thought of it him purple as well. Pretty sure most depictions were more purple than blue. (or a purplish blue at most) Who knows what the show will do though as purple energy seems to have a certain connotation in the MCU. Personally, I'd be fine if they went with him only having red eyes rather than the energy form he had after his resurrection.

If they do use Grim Reaper, I would think he'd be handled better than She-Hulk villains since GR is Simon's brother. I would think the writers would want to delve into that as it's the main reason to include him.
    I wouldn't be surprised if at some point his powers go out of control and he goes full energy Maybe not in the show but like in an Avengers movie.

Astonishing Member

Courtney Cox is in discussions for joining the cast. I wonder if she'll just be a civilian -- or something more (hoping the latter).

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Courtney Cox is in discussions for joining the cast. I wonder if she'll just be a civilian -- or something more (hoping the latter).
    I'm going to guess she'll play an agent. (like in a Hollywood way, not a SHIELD way)

She knows Hollywood...

She will be a tv reporter that gets drawn into the shenanigans.

I saw someone say the actor should have been cast as the new T'Challa instead and I agree. Wasted opportunity.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I saw someone say the actor should have been cast as the new T'Challa instead and I agree. Wasted opportunity.
    Or maybe it would have been a waste to hire such a good actor to try taking over someone else's role where he might not have been accepted. Maybe it's a better opportunity to give said aforementioned good actor a chance to originate a role he can call his own?

Or maybe another black hero. Blue Marvel still hasn't shown up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Or maybe it would have been a waste to hire such a good actor to try taking over someone else's role where he might not have been accepted. Maybe it's a better opportunity to give said aforementioned good actor a chance to originate a role he can call his own?
    No. Casting him as a character he can never physically resemble is bad casting a waste.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    No. Casting him as a character he can never physically resemble is bad casting a waste.
    I don't know, he looks like an attractive male action movie star to me.

If they had cast some scrawny guy like say Matt Smith as Wonder Man you'd have a point about not physically representing the role... but Abdul-Mateen though? The guy looks ripped and even though I'm straight the sex appeal is obvious, so yeah he could convincingly play a character who uses his powers to be a movie star and that's seriously the best aspect of the character. The whole industrialist angle was tired as hell to start with, and tieing him to the Vision has always felt too small world and convenient.

There's literally nothing about his skin color that is important to the character in any way, shape or form.

There are characters where their race is important:
    Black Panther is an African monarch so yeah, he has to be black.
    Powerman's whole origin is a play on the racial inequity of the justice system, so yeah he has to be black.
    Shang-Chi...yeah just look at his name, he needs to be of Asian decent.
    Captain America was the poster boy for WWII GI's and while there were many men and women of color who fought in the war the culture of the time definitely favored white Americans so it's inconceivable that the US government of the time would have picked some one of color to represent the US in propaganda...so yeah Steve Rogers has to be white.

There are probably some other heroes out there that race is important to them that I'm forgetting but the truth of the matter is that Simon just isn't one of them.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 11-14-2022 at 06:28 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't know, he looks like an attractive male action movie star to me.

If they had cast some scrawny guy like say Matt Smith as Wonder Man you'd have a point about not physically representing the role... but Abdul-Mateen though? The guy looks ripped and even though I'm straight the sex appeal is obvious, so yeah he could convincingly play a character who uses his powers to be a movie star and that's seriously the best aspect of the character. The whole industrialist angle was tired as hell to start with, and tieing him to the Vision has always felt too small world and convenient.

There's literally nothing about his skin color that is important to the character in any way, shape or form.

There are characters where their race is important:
    Black Panther is an African monarch so yeah, he has to be black.
    Powerman's whole origin is a play on the racial inequity of the justice system, so yeah he has to be black.
    Shang-Chi...yeah just look at his name, he needs to be of Asian decent.
    Captain America was the poster boy for WWII GI's and while there were many men and women of color who fought in the war the culture of the time definitely favored white Americans so it's inconceivable that the US government of the time would have picked some one of color to represent the US in propaganda...so yeah Steve Rogers has to be white.

There are probably some other heroes out there that race is important to them that I'm forgetting but the truth of the matter is that Simon just isn't one of them.
    Exactly. Storm (African Goddess motif, child thief etc)
    A lot of the other X-men specifically have racial or ethnic backgrounds dictating their casting. Not a lot of minorities you would expect from Russia so Illyana, Collossus.

Characters that will be mostly covered in CGI or makeup etc. I don't think it matters honestly unless ethnicity and specific geographic backgrounds relevant to the character come into play.