Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Never was a fan of the change into Goliath, but understandable due to the high-stakes involved.

However, I still liked Hank's pep-talk to Clint before he shed the bow & arrows (T_T)
    Poor Hank has always been odd man out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Let's agree to disagree. I LOVE Operation Galactic Storm (even the name, IMHO, is awsome). Ever since Stern left (was fired) the Avengers were lacking direction. Writers came and went too briefly, whatever they were setting up, soon abandoned by who came after. I mean, I was actually excited to see where Simonson would have gone with his "New Avengers", but Reed, Sue and Gilgamesh were soon discarded by Byrne, who seemed to employ his best story ideas and writing over at WCA. Fabian Nicieza was one of my favorite writers at the time, but he was just filling in, and didn't leave any real mark on the team (even though the Crossing Line is great). Larry Hama had a more political take on the Avengers, and also left quite a few threads lieing around that no other writer picked up, departing after a mere eight issues. So, when Harras came along, and gave the team some stability, bringing back a couple of favorites and foccussing on them, it was, IMHO, a breath of frsh air (even if he was clearly trying to make the Avengers more like the X-Men, who he was editing at the time). At first, I didn't like much Epting, who I knew just from a couple of Dreadstar issues, but he soon showed his future superstar potential, winning me over. OGS was clearly a plot driven event. It was supposed to shake up many of the books involved. Out with the old, in with the new, in the Avengers, with Cap, Thor and "boyscout" Quasar leaving in favor of an edgier team. Quasar left Earth, becoming more galactic in his job as Protector of the Universe. Thor had already been replaced by the Erick Masterson Thor, and both, he and Cap, who was taking care of his own story plots in his own book, seemed to be much more involved with Avengers business in their own books than in the Avengers mag. It also set up Wonder Man for a change of tone in his own series (a change which I desliked, mind you, prefering the lighter and more humorous tone of the earlier issues). Iron Man also used the OGS issues to worsen his own health issues, clearing the way for the War Machine storyline and also shaking a bit the status quo of the WCA. Like most of Marvel's books at the time. Harras and Epting's Avengers suffered with the excesses of 90's Marvel,such as the guns, leather jackets, bared teeth and belt pouches, in it's drive to become edgier and more in tune with the "Extreme" Image years. However, I think OGS was solid, well-paced, story-telling, with all-around great art, and it had lasting consequences for all the books involved (some more than others).
    The duo continued on to give us the Gatherers Saga, which is still one of my all-time favorite Avengers sagas. After it concluded, and Epting left, I do admit that Harras seemed to lose quite a bit his beat, and never quite recovered it, eventually giving the reins of the book to Kavanaugh, which was terrible. It was trhe Excess 90's without the good stuff, IMHO. After that, it would be a couple of years before Busiek and Perez came in to save us, and the book.
    Still, longwinded way of saying that OGS is still one of the top best Avengers stories in my book.

Peace
    100% agree.

I reread this a few years ago for the first time since the original issues came out.

I was impressed by:

1. How smoothly the story flowed issue to issue
    2. How the story had impact on each title instead of being quickly forgotten
    3. How the solo hero titles were not overwhelmed by the story. Usually for these types of crossovers, each issue would basically be extra issues of Avengers. But each issue of Iron Man was about Iron Man and progressed his ongoing story. Same with Thor, Captain America, Quasar, Wonder Man, and even Avengers West Coast. The Epics collected the entire story in Avengers. But the Epics for the other titles just contain their issues without the rest of the rest of the story. And the Epics work both ways when reading.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Never was a fan of the change into Goliath, but understandable due to the high-stakes involved.

However, I still liked Hank's pep-talk to Clint before he shed the bow & arrows (T_T)
    I don't know why, but, at first, I remember thinking that Hank was supposed to be a Skrull. I found it a bit odd and out of charcater for Hank to "go against" Cap like this. I thought there would be a big reveal waiting in the wings, however, unlike what I thought was going on, there was nothing more to this scene than face value.

Peace

Why do you hate Nebula?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Why do you hate Nebula?
    #avengexandar

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    In their defense, I think they are trying to appeal to younger audiences with all of this 'woke' nonsense. But I agree -- neither company is producing anything I want to read.
    There is definitely a feel of writing to a different audience imo and I don't blame a company for wanting to do that

Imo the problem rises with their tactics not the intent, much of the time I feel that the overt tactic is either

Make a new character look great by saying how much better they are than an older character

Change the established flavour of a character

Even worse, do either of the above and pretend that it's not happening

I'm not commenting on 'wokeness' here, in all honesty I have no real issue with writers perception of current socio political issues being in their work, I think any injustice issue will and to an extent should be evidenced in super heroic work, a good hero wants all types of justice, what I think is more common now is that the books read as though the writer is telling me what they think and what I should think rather then telling me what the characters think

It's all a bit preachey in feel imo

Which to me too often betrays a lack of skill not of virtue

I should stress, this isn't a comment on the virtue of that intent, which I feel is often well intentioned, rather that the delivery feels a bit blunt trauma and soap boxish

In my opinion

Btw I loved galactic storm, the sersi black Knight era is one of my favourite periods
    Last edited by kilderkin; 07-16-2022 at 08:23 AM.

I bought every part of this story in real time. I loved this story. It was favorite Avengers story in between John Byrne's run and Kurt Busiek's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    #avengexandar
    Wow, that's old. How many times has Xandar been rebuilt and destroyed again since then?

Peace