Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Anyone agree that Blade should go back to how he was prior to Snipes synergy?

I understand that this might not be a popular sentiment. As most of the people on the forums (myself included) grew up with the already synergized version appearing in new comics. But I think that the character is more interesting the way he used to be with no powers and not looking like Snipes’ version. As just a badass vampire hunter with a personal story. I get that people like Snipes’ version, but they made a lot of changes. And I don't think it’s fair to the character that Blade was to upend it to match the changes. I never really like it when a comic changes to match movies and TV, unless it’s from the ground up like a new character. And I think that we already know that the MCU version isn’t going to look at any of the old comics, as the director has stated that Blade has no comics canon. I really doubt he’ll have a UK accent either. Because most people don’t know that Blade is from there.

Thoughts?

blade.jpg
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I understand that this might not be a popular sentiment. As most of the people on the forums (myself included) grew up with the already synergized version appearing in new comics. But I think that the character is more interesting the way he used to be with no powers and not looking like Snipes’ version. As just a badass vampire hunter with a personal story. I get that people like Snipes’ version, but they made a lot of changes. And I don't think it’s fair to the character that Blade was to upend it to match the changes. I never really like it when a comic changes to match movies and TV, unless it’s from the ground up like a new character. And I think that we already know that the MCU version isn’t going to look at any of the old comics, as the director has stated that Blade has no comics canon. I really doubt he’ll have a UK accent either. Because most people don’t know that Blade is from there.

Thoughts?

blade.jpg
    Could work only if the entire power level of MU goes back to the early bronze age(overall all heroes and villains were much contained In their powers, and vampires strength and speed while greater than human was much less that it is now) at this point would be not worthy. Either he get "Charles atlased" to near God Batman level so will be the same as now without the vampire link, or endup looking poor man's version of punisher, only less effective.
    Also add that og blade was not that great of character, as" yeah nice and all but I am here to read about Dracula."

Now old Drac himself, I would like to return to his old look, not powerset per se, but damn I miss the one tha trooped like you know Dracula, instead of a legacy of kain reject....worst re-design ever. As bad as that horrifically dr fate of the nineties!

What would be the point? They can keep him being British (which seems to be the case these days), but other than that I don't see any value in changing it back. And there isn't much of a different to begin with. He more or less acts the same before the Snipes movies and all that has really changed is him being part vampire and wearing different clothes.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-17-2022 at 04:50 AM.

Mighty Member

I read the pre-synergy Blade. Most of his solo-stuff is meh. I read post-synergy Blade. Most of his solo stuff is meh. Conclusion: synergy or lack-there-of isn't going to benefit Blade one way or the other.

I can see them updating his look to match the actor playing him in the MCU. But it's not going to affect his powers, personality, etc.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I am fine with how Blade is post Snipes.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I read the pre-synergy Blade. Most of his solo-stuff is meh. I read post-synergy Blade. Most of his solo stuff is meh. Conclusion: synergy or lack-there-of isn't going to benefit Blade one way or the other.
    So, there is no reason to keep the synergy with the vampire powers and shades either.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Yeah I'm sorry the post movie version just blows the original out of the water. There was nothing cool about Blade pre movie. I mean just look at him

Even beyond that, the Black Leather, Sword Wielding, More Aggressive version of Blade Appeared in 1992. The first Blade movie was released in 1998. If anything, the film version was more accurate to the character at that time. At this point, going back to Brown Leather, Wooden Stakes Blade would be as much of a regression as going back to 60's Era "Biff! Pow!" Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackroom View Post
    Even beyond that, the Black Leather, Sword Wielding, More Aggressive version of Blade Appeared in 1992. The first Blade movie was released in 1998. If anything, the film version was more accurate to the character at that time. At this point, going back to Brown Leather, Wooden Stakes Blade would be as much of a regression as going back to 60's Era "Biff! Pow!" Batman.
    I'm not saying lose the black leather and swords. I'm saying lose the shades, tattoos, and vampire powers and teeth. The pic I posted is how I think he should look in the comics.

I also think it's weird that it was retconned that his father was a white vampire. Which I understand was of course not synergy. But it was part of making his heritage more vampire than what happened with his mother.

The more I read classic Blade the more I am finding myself gravitating to him more. I still feel that there's room for both. I think a synergize would be nice as movie Blade doesn't seem to translate well in comics- or perhaps it's Marvel's lack of urgency to utilize the character. Still waiting for a writer to be the next Frank Miller on Blade. To me it seems writers seem unable to capture Snipes' silent charisma he brought to the character. I dunno...But I think the white daddy thing was silly. They're plenty of black Europeans. He doesn't need to be biracial.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 06-17-2022 at 01:06 PM.

Ultimate Member

Thoughts?

blade.jpg
    Nope.

10char.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Thoughts?

blade.jpg
    Hell no Kurt. Get Outta here with that nonsense. Every OTHER blade fan other than yourself if you are one is sure thats ridiculous
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Always better for him to have powers imo.