Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    So, there is no reason to keep the synergy with the vampire powers and shades either.
    The main reason is that Blade would be washed fighting just Dracula one on one. You add multiple vampires to that and he has zero chance, and there's no movie!

I don't know much about Blade but, does he actually gain anything from not being a vampire anymore? Was he interesting in any way as just a human?

While changes for the sake of synergy can be really stupid, changing it back for the sake of nostalgia can be just as stupid, how many people would seriously ask for Alfred to be the fat butler who didn't raise Batman?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    The more I read classic Blade the more I am finding myself gravitating to him more. I still feel that there's room for both. I think a synergize would be nice as movie Blade doesn't seem to translate well in comics- or perhaps it's Marvel's lack of urgency to utilize the character. Still waiting for a writer to be the next Frank Miller on Blade. To me it seems writers seem unable to capture Snipes' silent charisma he brought to the character. I dunno...But I think the white daddy thing was silly. They're plenty of black Europeans. He doesn't need to be biracial.
    I don't think any Blade fans actually acknowledges the dad thing.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

I actually think Blade's character moved out of Snipes synergy fairly quickly, other than in his cameo appearances. If you look at most of his depictions in on-goings after the early 2000s, he's back to the trash talking, irritating, quick tempered, mystical expert that he was immediately before the movies. I think the powers are neccesary for him to have relevance in the 616 marvel universe. Given the fact that Marvel vampires are some of the weakest in fiction, it would be impossible for his stories to hold any weight unless he had the abilities to impact other threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I don't know much about Blade but, does he actually gain anything from not being a vampire anymore? Was he interesting in any way as just a human?

While changes for the sake of synergy can be really stupid, changing it back for the sake of nostalgia can be just as stupid, how many people would seriously ask for Alfred to be the fat butler who didn't raise Batman?
    That is one of the most wisest word ever spoken on these boards. 👏 👏
    Yes, changing just for marketing is wrong but so is doing that just for nostalgia, that is something more personal and less universal than we all think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    changing it back for the sake of nostalgia can be just as stupid, how many people would seriously ask for Alfred to be the fat butler who didn't raise Batman?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    so is doing that just for nostalgia
    I wouldn't call it nostalgia. Blade had already been synergized when I got into comics. And the Alfred companion doesn't work because he was thin and with a mustache in the serial, which likely came earlier and prompted the creation of the comic version, which guessed what he would be like and shortly thereafter changed what they got wrong. Comparing that to Blade would make more sense if you were talking about having Whistler jump into the comics, which I wouldn't be opposed to. So long as it didn't displace Jamal Afari in his mythos.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I wouldn't call it nostalgia. Blade had already been synergized when I got into comics. And the Alfred companion doesn't work because he was thin and with a mustache in the serial, which likely came earlier and prompted the creation of the comic version, which guessed what he would be like and shortly thereafter changed what they got wrong. Comparing that to Blade would make more sense if you were talking about having Whistler jump into the comics, which I wouldn't be opposed to. So long as it didn't displace Jamal Afari in his mythos.
    What would you call it then? I'm not seeing any justification for why the changes should be undone other than "that's how it originally was", which is often a pretty poor reason to change things back. Whistler isn't even in the comics, so Afari has nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Yeah I'm sorry the post movie version just blows the original out of the water. There was nothing cool about Blade pre movie. I mean just look at him

^^^Seventies era Blade worked, though!

Who's the black vampire slayer that's a sex machine and all around player?
    (Blade)
    You're damn right

Who is the man that would risk his neck for his brother man?
    (Blade)
    Can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's Nosferatu all about?
    (Blade)
    Right on

They say this cat Blade is a bad mother
    (Shut your mouth)
    But I'm talkin' 'bout Blade
    (Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man
    And no one understands him even Whistler…

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Seventies era Blade worked, though!

Who's the black vampire slayer that's a sex machine and all around player?
    (Blade)
    You're damn right

Who is the man that would risk his neck for his brother man?
    (Blade)
    Can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's Nosferatu all about?
    (Blade)
    Right on

They say this cat Blade is a bad mother
    (Shut your mouth)
    But I'm talkin' 'bout Blade
    (Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man
    And no one understands him even WhistlerÂ…
    Huh, wonder how things would have gone if Richard Roundtree played Blade in the 70s.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I prefer Blade with daggers, not swords. There's something about the close quarters nature of combat against superior foes that appeals to me.

As for his powers, I prefer that Blade didn't have any, but made use of wards, talismans, etc., that helped make him highly resistant, but not impervious, to vampires and other supernatural creatures.

The problem with Blade is that Marvel has a notorious habit of featuring nonpowered humans with a gimmick in the same venue as godlike, world-breaking villains. They made Blade at least a part-time Avenger, so obviously it benefits him to have superhuman abilities, as opposed to merely survivability devices and a sharp, pointy, jabby, slashy weapon. As long as Marvel writers keep doing that, Blade can't really go back to the days of being "normal" entirely.

Ultimate Member

Why?

I don't see what would be gained. All moving him backwards would do is give him more hair.

And given that virtually nothing in comics is realistic, taking his powers away wouldn't matter

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I rather what we have now instead of black Simon Belmont.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    ...When you put it like this I have to side with Kurt.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I prefer Blade with daggers, not swords. There's something about the close quarters nature of combat against superior foes that appeals to me.

As for his powers, I prefer that Blade didn't have any, but made use of wards, talismans, etc., that helped make him highly resistant, but not impervious, to vampires and other supernatural creatures.

The problem with Blade is that Marvel has a notorious habit of featuring nonpowered humans with a gimmick in the same venue as godlike, world-breaking villains. They made Blade at least a part-time Avenger, so obviously it benefits him to have superhuman abilities, as opposed to merely survivability devices and a sharp, pointy, jabby, slashy weapon. As long as Marvel writers keep doing that, Blade can't really go back to the days of being "normal" entirely.
    People ha dot be FAIR the 70s blade was gone long before Snipes movie, rember the time he become a darkhold infused pseudo demogorgon and gone in a rampage to kill ALL magic being(one of those mass murdering moment that Marvel use to make some clean up) ?
    Before that he could as well have superabilities for what he did.
    <this is actually true for most "regular athletic" humans, including a certain caped crusader. They may as well be superhuman considering that they, on panels, they punch, leap, jump, run and kick as well as spiderman or Daredevil, and can handle kinetic or energy attacks that make me think they are much more sturdier than one expect. Consider that in Marvel faserip rpg Dracul is nearly as strong as Ben Grimm! - take it as it was- and according to modern Canon can fight Apocalypse....>

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    You wish was black Simon Belmont, truth is was more like ineffective big black angry man version fo the punisher with extremely unpleasant personality, as the actual Punisher is was a frat boy by comparison. He was terrible, useless and boring. There was a reason why before the movie he never really clicked in the heart of many readers