All-New Member

Default Beyond Superman: Otherworldly Recommendations

Anyone got any recommendations for non-DC/non-Marvel comics that remind them of Superman comics, whether it's a character or storyline or just some theme or concept, in some way? (Especially in really weird ways). They can be recent or older series. Cheers.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

I would go with Alan Moore's Supreme if you can happen to get your hands on it. One of the best "Superman" Stories you'll ever enjoy.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Miracleman count? Marvel owns him now but originally he was his own thing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Miracleman count? Marvel owns him now but originally he was his own thing.
    I'd count it. I'd also like to add Tom Strong to the list.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Definitely, my choice would be...

Samaritan

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    I would go with Alan Moore's Supreme if you can happen to get your hands on it. One of the best "Superman" Stories you'll ever enjoy.
    Heeeyyyyyyyy!! I just received all of Moore's Supreme and Glory stuff in the mail!

Irredeemable by Mark Waid.

(You're welcome!)

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

the embodiement of siegel and shuster's man of action in modern era(for me)..the laugh tale of One piece..Monkey D luffy
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-18-2022 at 07:38 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

The Squadron Supreme, the original Mark Gruenwald series and the more recent stuff. Invincible is a surprising reimagining of superheroes and Superman/Superboy. The Maximortal by Rick Veitch is a disturbing take on Superman and the creators of comics. Adam Warlock, by Jim Starlin, that’s a Superman story really.

It's not a direct Superman proxy like what people are dropping here, but Atomic Robo. Great retro vibe, sorta like Golden Age comics meet Indiana Jones, and the stories always reminded me of Clark's early adventures on a spiritual level.

Invincible. There were years when that comic was the only thing that kept me going to the LCS. Incredible title, if you can get past the "this is what violence actually looks like with super powers" gore. It's got more heart and soul than anything you'll ever find at DC or Marvel, consequences actually matter, the stakes actually matter.....Invincible is what superhero comics should be.

If you're into novels, Gladiator by Phillip Wylde (spelling?) was one of the direct influences on the creation of Superman. Really good book, I've read it many times.

Actually, speaking of novels.....this will push a little farther out from the superhero genre than you may be looking for but I never miss an opportunity to plug it.....have you read Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive novels? One of the main characters, Kaladin, is basically a "what if Clark Kent lived in a fantasy world and suffered from bipolar depression?" Damned good books and the parallels between Kaladin and Kal-El are pretty obvious, though Kaladin is far more than just a "sword and sorcery Superman." If you're a fan of big epics like Dune, Wheel of Time, or Lord of the Rings, check out Stormlight.

Have you ever read the original Authority from WildStorm? That's a League proxy without the black-and-white morality that rules the DCU.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    I'd count it. I'd also like to add Tom Strong to the list.
    Tom Strong was more based on Doc Savage than Superman, but Supes was inspired by Doc... So, I guess it works.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

The original Storm-watch has a Superman mini-saga with a character called The High. He’s basically Golden Age Superman in the modern world trying to fix humanity.

Mighty Member

Fearless Fly, who needs his glasses!