Default Paper Quality of Modern Comics

I wasnt sure where else to post this about comics overall.
    I know the pandemic has had a major effect on paper supply, shortages, and paper quality/materials overall.

But as someone who has been in the hobby since the 80s - the paper quality thats being used in many modern Marvel, DC, or Image books is just crazy.
    You can feel the difference from certain books to books.

Please go out and try to buy (or just pick up) some of the 2022 editions of the Image First books. This paper is so thin it feels like its going to rip just turning the page. Ive never felt such thin paper on anything in all my life - on newspapers or otherwise. It feels like its just going to crumble in your hands. The ink smells different on these pages - and seems like it will bleed onto your fingers.
    I had someone hold the book who is not a comic fan and they couldn't believe it either.

Im hearing even newer omnis and collections are of a reduced quality - if anyone could chime in there.

This post is not really necessarily a complaint - more of an observation of a shifting comics landscape - but I hope things revert back eventually but who knows.
    Last edited by Destro777; 06-19-2022 at 08:44 AM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    I wasnt sure where else to post this about comics overall.
    I know the pandemic has had a major effect on paper supply, shortages, and paper quality/materials overall.

But as someone who has been in the hobby since the 80s - the paper quality thats being used in many modern Marvel, DC, or Image books is just crazy.
    You can feel the difference from certain books to books.

Please go out and try to buy (or just pick up) some of the 2022 editions of the Image First books. This paper is so thin it feels like its going to rip just turning the page. Ive never felt such thin paper on anything in all my life - on newspapers or otherwise. It feels like its just going to crumble in your hands. The ink smells different on these pages - and seems like it will bleed onto your fingers.
    I had someone hold the book who is not a comic fan and they couldn't believe it either.

Im hearing even newer omnis and collections are of a reduced quality - if anyone could chime in there.

This post is not really necessarily a complaint - more of an observation of a shifting comics landscape - but I hope things revert back eventually but who knows.

The image first books are like a dollar right? That is probably why they use such cheap paper so they do not lose a ton of money on these cheap books to try to suck people in.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    The image first books are like a dollar right? That is probably why they use such cheap paper so they do not lose a ton of money on these cheap books to try to suck people in.
    Well its more than just that. Dark Crisis DCs big event is on crappy paper. As are various lower key marvel books. Also some new omni reprints in comparison to the originals. Its not just the Image First books - but none are quite as bad as those. Image Firsts used to be on better paper just a few months back too.
    Last edited by Destro777; 06-22-2022 at 09:30 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I really like the current matte paper DC has been using on their books for awhile. Some complained it was too thick, or it made bagging & boarding too tight, etc, but I'll take it any day over the absolute Kleenex Marvel has been printing their monthlies on the past couple years. They can't even be bothered to use a slightly heavier stock for the covers. It's disgraceful.

The same penny-pinching BS crept into collections a long time ago. Compare any collection on the shelf with its previous printings (where applicable) and you'd have to be blind not to see how much thinner current printings are.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

Marvel Epic Collections are a lot better now, after a couple of years or really poor quality and thin books printed by Fry, Quad and LSC.