Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Marvel didn't start the trend but they're the ones most popular and successful for it.

Back in the 00's, DC introduced Blue Beetle and Ryan Choi. In the 90's, they had Connor Hawk as Green Arrow, Steel got an ongoing, Birds of Prey launched, characters like Robin, Catwoman, Batgirl (Cass Cain) got ongoings for the first time, there was the Milestone initiative, Sandman and the Vertigo stuff which introduced more diverse character, Linda Park and Pied Piper were regulars in Flash, if all these initiatives were happening today, there would be outrage videos on YT and social media posts with folks bemoaning all this 'SJW' stuff. But because some of concepts have become so normalized, we don't even notice it. If DC keeps up their current pace, in a few years nobody is going to bat an eye at Jon Kent having a boyfriend, Nubia getting solo stories or Jo Mullein being a GL.

Going even further back, you had Infinity Inc where Obsidian who was gay, Yolanda Montez as Wildcat's successor and in All Star Squadron they introduced Amazing Man whose origin was tied to being attacked by KKK mob.

Point is, DC has always done this. The difference between then and now is how convoluted continuity has become. Though that's not a problem with diverse characters but because of a reboot that never should have happened, DC bottlenecking itself for almost a decade trying to erase the NTT generation then suddenly introducing a whole new slate of legacy characters. It's an all round mismanagement of both established characters and legacy characters. Now they're stuck having to fix every generation of heroes.

For now.

I think they're in a slow re building phase. The overall shared universe is dead but there are good standalone titles. I think they're just taking their time slowly re establishing characters and building up new ones. John Stewart is getting his own ongoing spinning off his appearance in the main GL title and there is going to be a YJ title coming out of Dark Crisis. Lets see where it goes. I think they will slowly widen their horizons over time.
    I've been reading since 1988 and I honestly think there was much more diversity in comics than it's popular to believe now. Pied Piper, Linda, Chunk, John Stewart, Ron Troupe, Maggie Sawyer, Jose Delgado, Lucius Fox, Tom Kamalku, John Henry Irons,...and that's just off the top of my head. DC and Marvel have only begun to "add" diversity (really just tokenism) in recent years to get virtue-signaling points and bumps in interest from the related news stories. They put stunt over character development and narrative logic. Marvel began this particular trend back in 2013 with Marvel NOW! If Marvel and DC would stick to character-driven approaches with true representation (Ultimate Miles Morales, Earth-23 Superman) they likely wouldn't be accused of "SJW stuff" since they're just creating new characters and telling good stories.

As for rebuilding, I hope you're right. I've been burned so many times, though, that it's hard to have any hope. I'm only reading World's Finest right now and skimming through/reading about other books when visiting my LCS. I haven't had stacks of "must-read" books since Rebirth ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I read more and the youngest Clark Superboy have been was apparently 8 years old, and that's the night after he's been photographed by the press and became worldwide famous. Though only Smallville people have seen him live thus far.

Current possible timeline based on Superman's life in multiple continuities:
    Edit: Adding Bruce (same age) and Dick

Clark age 1 - Super Strength activated

Bruce age 3 - Death of Thomas Wayne Jr.
    Clark age 4 - Super Jump activated
    Bruce age 5 - Alfred's arrival
    Bruce age 6 - Headmaster Whisper
    Bruce age 7 - Best friend Tommy Elliot

Clark 8 Jay 21 - Superboy + The Flash
    Bruce age 9 - Therapy alongside Harvey Dent
    Clark age 10 - Super Hearing activated
    Bruce age 11 - Childhood with Uncle Phillip Wayne
    Clark 12 Jay 25 - JSA?
    Bruce age 13 - Left the home of Phillip Wayne

Clark age 15 - Heat and X-Ray Vision activated
    Clark age 16 - How Luthor lost everything?
    Clark age 17 - Prom date with Lana
    Clark age 18 - The Navy?
    Bruce age 19 - How Batman learned to drive

Clark age 20 - Daily Star reporter
    Clark age 21 - The Anti Superman Army
    Bruce age 23 - Minkhoa Khan rivalry

Clark age 24 - Daily Planet internship
    Clark 25 Jay 38 - JSA honorary member?
    Clark age 26 - World's Finest
    Clark 27 Jay 40 - JLA formation
    Dick age 14 - Teen Titans Year One
    Love this! Keep the ideas coming.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Reading through all of this and looking at the current state of the DCU I can't help but feel that the best option for DC right now would be something similar to what Marvel did when they introduced their Ultimate line - except reversed. Give us an Ultimate/New 52 style reboot where we can build things from the ground up in a new, fresh, and interesting way that isn't inherently beholden to any previous continuity while also maintaining an imprint line that features stories being told in classic continuities.

The main universe would be "early days" for a lot of heroes - something similar to the 5 year timeline from the New 52 would work except we aren't going to be shoving in five different Robin's to go along with Batman being such a fresh hero. All of the primary books would be here - Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Justice League, Teen Titans, etc. This is where we get stories about Bruce Wayne as Batman and Clark Kent as Superman. The Teen Titans would probably be some variant of the classic New Teen Titans lineup with Dick Grayson as Robin, Donna Troy as Wonder Girl, and Wally West as Kid Flash. Racebend and make the characters different and interesting all that you'd like to, but there's one important edict here: there are no Crisis events, much like what everyone else is saying. Consistency is key! And I feel like it's important to mention that while the New 52 might be the inspiration for this, the vibes aren't the same. "Ultimate DC" would actually be planned and thought out well in advance, and it wouldn't just be grimdark for the sake of it.

And then there's the "Legacy" Imprint. This is where we would tell stories about a more classic DC Universe with an older Bruce Wayne, a Clark Kent that is the father of a teenage boy, etc. This imprint would have no more than 12 books at a time and would be filled with titles like Detective, Action, and Sensation that are telling rotating stories with rotating casts and creative teams that just help fill out the world. This is the DC that people are expecting with the heroes that they're expecting and their classic origins, and would also be the world where legacy heroes such as Jon Kent, Yara Flor, Jace Fox, and etc can take center stage in their own appropriately named solo titles alongside other legacy heroes that have proven to struggle under the shadows of their mentors.

And lastly I feel like characters like Constantine, Shazam, etc also deserve to have their own titles in their owl realities again because they thrived the most there so I'd probably carve out a place for that too.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

(Scroll down to my conclusion)

The Beginning of Time - The Light emerges from The Great Darkness
    The Light (The Presence) created Omniverse, The Hands to create Multiverses, and The Chronicler to record everything
    The Light created the ranks of archangels

20 billion years ago - Perpetua created Multiverse-1 and her sons
    Perpetua, Apex Predators and The Totality were sealed in The Source Wall
    The World Forger created Barbatos The Great Serpent to devour failed creations
    Barbatos created The Dark Multiverse

19 billion years ago - Manifestation of The Presence: The Source created the Universe / New Earth / Prime Earth / Earth-0

18 billion years ago - The First World - Godworld - Urgrund - Asgard

15 billion years ago - The Second World - Humanoid of Urgrund becomes Old Gods

5 billion years ago - Old Gods War - Ragnarok

4.8 billion years ago - Remnants of Urgrund created Apokolips and Galactica (New Genesis)

40000 years ago - Godwave - The explosion of Urgrund passed Earth

35000 years ago - The Third World - Gods of Earth are born

30000 years ago - The Fourth World - New Gods

Ancient Krypton - Progenitor of the House of El

Stone Age - New God Metron granted Anthro The Caveman knowledge

11000 years ago - Paleolithic Era - Darkseid's Omega Sanction sent Bruce Wayne to the past and together with Anthro's grandson fought Vandal Savage

Puritan Era - Bruce became Witch Hunter in Village of Gotham

17th century - Darkseid's Hyper Adapter appears before devil worshipper Thomas Wayne and grant him immortality as the incarnation of Darkseid

18th century - Bruce vs Blackbeard

The 1880s - Jonah Hex arrived in Gotham and work with Alan Wayne and Amadeus Arkham

1881 - The Gates brothers were commissioned by the forefathers of Gotham Alan Wayne, Edward Elliot, and Theodore Cobblepot

1901 - William Cobb was born

1918s - After the fourth Gotham forefather Burton Crowne refused William Cobb to marry his daughter, he was recruited by Haly's Circus and introduced to The Court of Owls.
    William Cobb stole his baby from the Crowne's household, renamed him Gray Son and handed him to be raised by Haly's Circus for The Court of Owls

1926 - William Cobb murdered Alan Wayne under order from The Court of Owls

1930s - Death of Thomas and Martha Wayne as it happened in Golden Age and Morrison era

1940s - World War II - JSA

Conclusion:

So this is where I need a second Earth. Everyone is dated like above, tying them to a certain era.
    The other Earth uses a sliding timeline. How many years ago is counted instead of tying them to a certain era.

The sliding timeline Earth will always be current and modern. Let's say Bruce is 45 years old today, the death of The Waynes will occur in 1985 instead of 1930s and that's when Time-Displaced Bruce will be sent.

Or I can just use one Earth with sliding timeline, but I haven't decided on whether I like JSA being tied with WWII or not. So for now, two Earths it is
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-29-2022 at 08:27 AM.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

I would focus more on different time periods than different earths. Each era would be a different "line" of titles.

Gold line start of DCU to 25 years ago
    JSA
    Infinity Inc
    Freedom Fighters

Silver line 20 years ago to 5 years ago
    JLA
    Teen Titans

Bronze line present day to 10 years in future
    Titans

Platinum Line
    20 years into the future and onward
    Batman Beyond
    Legion of Superheroes

Stories would be set within these time periods. A Titans book where they have replaced a semi retired League with Nightwing leading, that's bronze line era. A JLA book with the original 7 are still young and inexperienced, that's silver line. Annual team ups would happen through time travel. A few JSA founding members would be thrown into present day and stuck there unable to leave after World War 2 leaving their kids to grow up without them and form Infinity inc. Young Clark Kent stories would bounce from golden line in the past to Platinum line Legion stories in the future.
    Last edited by comicstar100; 06-29-2022 at 09:09 AM.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

1) Cut down the Batman books down to two (Detective & Batman)
    2)Bring back Wildstorm, Earth two, Tangent and Milestone universes
    3)A Totality series with Elijah Snow joining the team
    4)Agents of SHADE book featuring Frankenstein and Wetworks
    5) Grayson and Harper book a sequel to Grayson
    6) Powergirl & Huntress book where they are traveling the Omniverse
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    I would focus more on different time periods than different earths. Each era would be a different "line" of titles.

Gold line start of DCU to 25 years ago
    JSA
    Infinity Inc
    Freedom Fighters

Silver line 20 years ago to 5 years ago
    JLA
    Teen Titans

Bronze line present day to 10 years in future
    Titans

Platinum Line
    20 years into the future and onward
    Batman Beyond
    Legion of Superheroes

Stories would be set within these time periods. A Titans book where they have replaced a semi retired League with Nightwing leading, that's bronze line era. A JLA book with the original 7 are still young and inexperienced, that's silver line. Annual team ups would happen through time travel. A few JSA founding members would be thrown into present day and stuck there unable to leave after World War 2 leaving their kids to grow up without them and form Infinity inc. Young Clark Kent stories would bounce from golden line in the past to Platinum line Legion stories in the future.
    That’s a cool idea, but it would be an absolute mess to coordinate. DC can’t keep things straight when all books are set in the same timeframe.
    Plus knowing everything that happens in the future would take away the stakes of the earlier periods. These kinds of things work for concepts like the Legion, when they are so removed from the present day that there’s A LOT of wiggle room for writers to work with.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    1) Cut down the Batman books down to two (Detective & Batman)
    2)Bring back Wildstorm, Earth two, Tangent and Milestone universes
    3)A Totality series with Elijah Snow joining the team
    4)Agents of SHADE book featuring Frankenstein and Wetworks
    5) Grayson and Harper book a sequel to Grayson
    6) Powergirl & Huntress book where they are traveling the Omniverse
    1)Maybe 4 books
    2) Yes would be great
    3)This has the potential to be DC's answer to Marvel's Illumanti
    4)Interesting
    5)like it
    6)I would like Donna Troy & Mary Marvel better
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    That’s a cool idea, but it would be an absolute mess to coordinate. DC can’t keep things straight when all books are set in the same timeframe.
    Plus knowing everything that happens in the future would take away the stakes of the earlier periods. These kinds of things work for concepts like the Legion, when they are so removed from the present day that there’s A LOT of wiggle room for writers to work with.
    Could very easily say the timeline is in flux and they are possible futures. Could even have a crisis type event rewriting time and resetting the future. But even if you didn't do that, knowing certain characters survive to the future really shouldn't take away stakes for superheroes. At the end of the day we know they will come back, even if they are killed. I mean does anyone here really think the Justice League will stay dead in the current comics? Seems to be a plot device to have younger characters take over for a bit. With these different time periods you don't need to do some phoney deaths to make that happen. They could exist and be the main characters in their time period. And honestly it would make more sense than it does now with several Robin's running around and Batman never aging.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    I've been reading since 1988 and I honestly think there was much more diversity in comics than it's popular to believe now. Pied Piper, Linda, Chunk, John Stewart, Ron Troupe, Maggie Sawyer, Jose Delgado, Lucius Fox, Tom Kamalku, John Henry Irons,...and that's just off the top of my head. DC and Marvel have only begun to "add" diversity (really just tokenism) in recent years to get virtue-signaling points and bumps in interest from the related news stories. They put stunt over character development and narrative logic. Marvel began this particular trend back in 2013 with Marvel NOW! If Marvel and DC would stick to character-driven approaches with true representation (Ultimate Miles Morales, Earth-23 Superman) they likely wouldn't be accused of "SJW stuff" since they're just creating new characters and telling good stories.
    Translation "I never read the books".

Read Batman Seduction of the Gun. THAT was virtual signaling while insulting black people and making Tim Drake look bad.
    Read the first 15 issues of Steel-gun and gang violence.
    Read Action Comics 701 that feature Ron Troupe and WHITE Bloodsport killing black people for fun.
    Read in Superman about Keith Roberts White-the BLACK son of Perry White.
    Read Aquaman 13 (volume 4)
    Read All Star Squadron 38-40
    Read DC Showcase 93 9-10 Huntress dealing with a kid whose father beats and KILLS him
    Read Huntress's first solo run
    Read Batman 424-425
    Read Teen Titans vol 1 26-27
    Read Teen Titans vol 2 26-27
    Read Men of War run-A BLACK MAN trying to prove to the army that he can do more than dig graves
    Read Supergirl #10 volume 5

The stuff MANY accuse DC of is the EXACT same stuff they were doing in the 1970-2000s.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Earth-0 Timeline

Back Story

The Beginning of Time - The Light emerges from The Great Darkness
    The Light (The Presence) created Omniverse, The Hands to create Multiverses, and The Chronicler to record everything
    The Light created the ranks of archangels

20 billion years ago - Perpetua created Multiverse-1 and her sons
    Perpetua, Apex Predators and The Totality were sealed in The Source Wall
    The World Forger created Barbatos The Great Serpent to devour failed creations
    Barbatos created The Dark Multiverse

19 billion years ago - Manifestation of The Presence: The Source created the Universe / New Earth / Prime Earth / Earth-0

18 billion years ago - The First World - Godworld - Urgrund - Asgard

15 billion years ago - The Second World - Humanoid of Urgrund becomes Old Gods

5 billion years ago - Old Gods War - Ragnarok

4.8 billion years ago - Remnants of Urgrund created Apokolips and Galactica (New Genesis)

40000 years ago - Godwave - The explosion of Urgrund passed Earth

35000 years ago - The Third World - Gods of Earth are born

30000 years ago - The Fourth World - New Gods

Ancient Krypton - Progenitor of the House of El

Dated Back Story

Stone Age - New God Metron granted Anthro The Caveman knowledge

11000 years ago - Paleolithic Era - Darkseid's Omega Sanction sent Bruce Wayne to the past and together with Anthro's grandson fought Vandal Savage

Before Babylonia - The First Murder - Cain became The First Vampire

Ancient Egypt - Hawkman and Hawkwoman landed - Rise of the first vampires

Ancient Greek - Amazons vs Herakles - Themyscira

Arthurian Era - Merlin - Morgaine Le Fay - Xanadu - Sir Gawain (Wayne ancestor)

The Crusades - Birth of The Demon

Middle Ages - Demon Knights

Tudor Period - Cain sired Andrew Bennett sired Mary Queen of Blood

Puritan Era - Bruce became Witch Hunter in Village of Gotham

17th century - Darkseid's Hyper Adapter appears before devil worshipper Thomas Wayne and grant him immortality as the incarnation of Darkseid

18th century - Bruce vs Blackbeard

The 1880s - Jonah Hex arrived in Gotham and work with Alan Wayne and Amadeus Arkham

1881 - The Gates brothers were commissioned by the forefathers of Gotham Alan Wayne, Edward Elliot, and Theodore Cobblepot

1901 - William Cobb was born

1918s - After the fourth Gotham forefather Burton Crowne refused William Cobb to marry his daughter, he was recruited by Haly's Circus and introduced to The Court of Owls.
    William Cobb stole his baby from the Crowne's household, renamed him Gray Son and handed him to be raised by Haly's Circus for The Court of Owls

1926 - William Cobb murdered Alan Wayne under order from The Court of Owls

1940s - World War II + Blackhawk?

1948 - Diana Trevor crash landed in Paradise Island

Cold War Era - Watchmen

Sliding Timeline Back Story

Clark age 1 - Super Strength activated

Bruce age 3 - Death of Thomas Wayne Jr.
    Clark age 4 - Super Jump activated
    Bruce age 5 - Alfred's arrival
    Bruce age 6 - Headmaster Whisper
    Bruce age 7 - Best friend Tommy Elliot

Clark 8 Jay 21 - Superboy + The Flash
    Bruce age 9 - Therapy alongside Harvey Dent
    Clark age 10 - Super Hearing activated
    Bruce age 11 - Childhood with Uncle Phillip Wayne
    Clark 12 Jay 25 - JSA?
    Bruce age 13 - Left the home of Phillip Wayne

Clark age 15 - Heat and X-Ray Vision activated
    Clark age 16 - How Luthor lost everything?
    Clark age 17 - Prom date with Lana
    Arthur Curry age 18 - Discovering Atlantis
    Oliver Queen age 19 - Stranded in the island

Clark age 20 - Daily Star reporter
    Clark age 21 - The Anti Superman Army
    Bruce age 23 - Minkhoa Khan rivalry

Clark age 24 - Daily Planet internship
    Clark Ollie 25 Jay 38 - JSA honorary member + Seven Soldiers of Victory
    Diana age 18 - Wonder Woman Year One
    Clark 27 Jay 40 - JLA formation
    Dick age 14 - Teen Titans Year One[/QUOTE]

Bette Kane age 15 - Batgirl Year One
    Barbara and Kara age 16 - Supergirl and Batgirl
    Harleen age 25 - Harley Quinn + Suicide Squad
    Billy Batson age 8 - Shazam! + Swamp Thing
    Duke Thomas age 10 - Zero Year
    Kara age 20 - Power Girl
    Barbara age 21 - The Killing Joke

Jason age 15 - A Death in The Family
    Conner age 16 - Young Justice
    Tim age 15 - No Man's Land
    Jason age 18 - Under The Red Hood

Kate Kane age 27 - Batwoman Year One
    Damian age 11 - Throne of Atlantis
    Damian age 12 - Gotham Academy
    Jon Kent age 6 - Super Sons
    Damian age 14 - Shadow War

Damian age 30+ - Batman Beyond
    30th century - Legion of Super-Heroes
    1 million years in the future - DC One Million
    The End - Kamandi

My problem now Jon Kent is too young for Super Sons so maybe Super Sons refer to him and Chris Kent instead?

Multiverse-0
    Earth-0 Sliding Timeline
    Earth-2 JSA World War II
    Earth-5G Adult Jon Kent

Launch Publication Set in The Present Day
    Action Comics - Steel, Lana
    Apollo and Midnighter - Apollo, Midnighter, Jenny
    All-Star Comics - Jay, Alan, Carter, Nelson, Johnny, Ted
    All-Star Western - Jonah Hex, Tallulah, Amadeus Arkham, Alan Wayne, Simon Hurt
    Aquamen - Arthur, Jackson, Manta, Mera, Garth, Tula
    Batgirls - Babs, Steph, Cass, Bette
    Batman and Robin - Jace and Tiffany
    Batman Inc - Jiro, Beryl, El Gaucho, Hood, Calvin Rose
    Beyond - Terry, Matt
    Birds of Prey - Dinah, Bluebird, Lady Blackhawk
    Cyborg and The Metal Men
    Deathstroke Inc - Slade, Prometheus, Respawn, Toyman, Raptor
    Demon Knights - Etrigan, Xanadu, Shining Knight, Vandal Savage
    Doom Patrol
    Detective Comics - Jean-Paul, Luke, Gordon, Montoya,
    Earth-52 - Superman/Wonder Woman
    GLC - Jessica, Baz
    Gotham City Sirens - Selina, Harley, Ivy, Onyx
    Green Arrow - Ollie
    Green Lantern - Hal and Carol
    Hawkworld - Katar and Shayera
    House of Mysteries - Phantom Stranger, Deadman, The Question
    JLA - John Stewart, Kendra, J'onn, Barry, Kate
    JLC - Kenan, Monkey Prince, Avery, Bai Xing
    JLD - Zatanna, Frankenstein, Swamp Thing, Deadman, Andrew Bennett
    JLI - Guy, Booster, Kord, Fire, Ice
    JLU - Animal Man, Adam Strange, Miyahbin, Choi, Plastic Man
    JLQ - Dreamer, Extrano, The Ray, etc
    JSA - Obsidian, Jade, Palmer, Courtney, Jakeem, Yolanda, Khalid
    Legion of Superheroes
    Outlaws - Jason, Roy, Artemis, Bizarro
    Sensation Comics - Nubia, Hippolyta
    Shazam! - Marvel Family
    Suicide Squad - Deadshot, Croc, Cheshire, William Cobb, Nocturna, Boomerang, Diablo, Peacemaker, Bloodsport, Waller
    Static - Static Shock
    Supergirl - Cir-El
    Shazam! - Marvel Family
    Showcase - Ambush Bug, Grifter, Gen13
    Swamp Thing - Alec Holland, Abby Arcane, Anton Arcane
    Teen Titans - Damian, Wallace, Emiko, Collin Wilkes
    The Brave and The Bold - Connor Hawke and Kyle Rayner
    The Flash - Wally and family
    The Hellblazer - John Constantine
    The Outsiders - Duke, Cass, Katana, Black Lightning, Metamorpho
    Tiny Titans - Jon and Chris Kent, Andy Curry, Jay Nakamura
    Titans - Dick, Donna, Kori, Gar, Raven, Cyborg, Joey
    Trinity - Clark, Bruce, Diana
    WildC.A.T.S - Grifter, etc
    Wonder Girl - Yara
    World's Finest - Bertinelli, Kara (Karen)
    YJ - Tim, Cassie, Conner, Bart, M'Gann, Rose, Miguel, Tanya

51 books so far
    54 if you wanna add Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman
    I didn't because I don't want 1 character to star in multiple books and if I did write double I wrote them wrong

Okay so that's too many... I already put Showcase and The Brave and The Bold there so anyone that can't sustain a book will be placed there

Oh yeah in my timeline Kara became Power Girl (Karen) and never became Supergirl again. The next Supergirls are Matrix, Linda and Cir-El in order of publication. I haven't thought of what happened when Tanya Spears become Power Girl. Power Woman maybe.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-01-2022 at 06:33 AM.