Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I was watching Star Trek Discovery, and Michael was running from the bridge to engineering cause Tilly was in trouble.

But it did spark a question. Is there a rule against using transporters within the ship to get from point A to point B? If you need to get there fast, like a medical emergency. I don't recall ever seeing that, but I decided to ask, cause I'm sure other people know more.

I know in ST:TNG, there was the convict who was escaping who did inner ship transport.
    There were some transporter usage within the ST- Disco if i recall but it wasn't regular.

Think in the future Trek world seen in s3 and s4 of Discovery the miniaturized transporters from Nemesis are standard equipment and I think are used a few times for going around the ship.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    In the Star Trek series, they *constantly* run into alien races with more advanced technology than they do, but they *never* feel the need to try to steal/integrate the advanced technology with their own tech.

Really Starfleet's technological advances basically are slower that the current human races, they should be super quick cool stuff showing up all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think it's kind of been implied in the reboot universe that encountering the Narada is the reason Starfleet seems more advanced than in TOS, especially the different look of the Enterprise; even though Narada and it's crew were captured by the Klingons according to a deleted scene/Uhura's dialogue. Might also be why Klingon tech looks different and they've already messed up Praxis.
    Others have said this better than me: you have to take each of these series on their own terms. You can maybe go with TNG, DS9 and VOY being in continuity, but beyond that, trying to make sense of them as a singular literary history is pointless.

Any long-running series will inevitably run into this kind of thing. Even TNG ran into some continuity hiccups early on-In early episodes Klingons are implied to be part of the Federation; Heart of Glory shows a Klingon ship with the UFP symbol (as for the Klingons on the Enterprise in the episode they're implied to be just renegades) and I think Wesley also refers to them as such even in season 2. Yet it's clear later on that although they are allies, they are definitely not part of the Federation.

Also early on in TNG "Angel One" implies the Romulans are a threat but aren't exactly a big deal; by the end of the season everyone's dead serious about it (apparently it was originally supposed to be the Ferengi).

Any long-running series will inevitably run into this kind of thing. Even TNG ran into some continuity hiccups early on-In early episodes Klingons are implied to be part of the Federation; Heart of Glory shows a Klingon ship with the UFP symbol (as for the Klingons on the Enterprise in the episode they're implied to be just renegades) and I think Wesley also refers to them as such even in season 2. Yet it's clear later on that although they are allies, they are definitely not part of the Federation.

Also early on in TNG "Angel One" implies the Romulans are a threat but aren't exactly a big deal; by the end of the season everyone's dead serious about it (apparently it was originally supposed to be the Ferengi).
    There is a S2 episode of TNG where the Federation is clearly engaging in genetic engineering which is verboten broadly in Star Trek canon. Not to mention the exact political borders of the Star Trek universe are whack too, as its implied the Federation, Klingons, Romulans and Cardassians all share a border. This is why I don't really get to attached to Star Trek "lore" as there is so much stuff that doesn't match.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 06-28-2022 at 04:26 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Even in TOS, there were some whoppers.

Trelane was viewing events of the 17th century, which were said to be 900 years ago, putting TOS in the 26th century. Several episodes stated or implied that the 20th century was 200 years ago, putting TOS in the 22nd century. It wasn't until the title at the beginning of Wrath of Khan, "In the 23rd century..." that it was truly, officially the 23rd century.

Maximum Warp speed was all over the place.

When you think about it, stuff about Spock was getting made up all the time. As to character stuff, Kirk was best friends with Spock and never knew he was married? Kind of like not knowing about Sybok. "Amok Time" was supposed to be Spock's Wedding. Sarek didn't show? Even Amanda didn't show? Yes, because they were made up later. The same reason Kirk didn't know that one of Vulcan's leading ambassadors was Spock's father.

The reason that stuff is accepted while Sybok and Burnham are not is because it was a year or two and then decades for that stuff to percolate and become part of canon, all background completed. Sybok is a revelation coming over twenty years later and Burnham 55 years later, time to ram full force into head canon even if it does not specifically contradict anything.

Oh, let's not forget "Selective Breeding" became "Genetic Engineering" and 1he time of Khan keeps pushed forward.

There really are contradictions but there always were, even within TOS. And most people, when we complain, know that. People are just separating contradictions they are okay with from ones they don't like.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 06-28-2022 at 02:42 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Even in TOS, there were some whoppers.

Trelane was viewing events of the 17th century, which were said to be 900 years ago, putting TOS in the 26th century. Several episodes stated or implied that the 20th century was 200 years ago, putting TOS in the 22nd century. It wasn't until the title at the beginning of Wrath of Khan, "In the 23rd century..." that it was truly, officially the 23rd century.

Maximum Warp speed was all over the place.

When you think about it, stuff about Spock was getting made up all the time. As to character stuff, Kirk was best friends with Spock and never knew he was married? Kind of like not knowing about Sybok. "Amok Time" was supposed to be Spock's Wedding. Sarek didn't show? Even Amanda didn't show? Yes, because they were made up later. The same reason Kirk didn't know that one of Vulcan's leading ambassadors was Spock's father.

The reason that stuff is accepted while Sybok and Burnham are not is because it was a year or two and then decades for that stuff to percolate and become part of canon, all background completed. Sybok is a revelation coming over twenty years later and Burnham 55 years later, time to ram full force into head canon even if it does not specifically contradict anything.

Oh, let's not forget "Selective Breeding" became "Genetic Engineering" and 1he time of Khan keeps pushed forward.

There really are contradictions but there always were, even within TOS. And most people, when we complain, know that. People are just separating contradictions they are okay with from ones they don't like.
    Is this what is happening? I know the Eugenics Wars originally took place in the 1990's and I felt they've been screwy with the numbers but I wasn't sure.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

No, Khan's always remained a '90s historical figure. Even Into Darkness kept that intact.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    No, Khan's always remained a '90s historical figure. Even Into Darkness kept that intact.
    It doesn't make sense though, we've already lived through the 90's and there was no Eugenics War so thus it must be further in the timeline. I've seen people try to handwave it as a "shadow war" we weren't even aware was happening but that just seems dumb to me, it seems far easier to just admit it was an incorrect prediction about the future and just bump it forward. We'll eventually have to do the same for WWIII as I'm thinking that if the invasion of Ukraine wasn't enough to ignite a new world war we aren't likely to have one start in 2026.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 06-28-2022 at 04:54 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

DS9 also has a few issues. It kind of retcons the trill-The host seemed to imply the slug-like organism is pretty much the 'brain' whereas in Deep Space Nine it's made as more of a symbiosis (and of course there's the cosmetic changes, although they actually did test Terry Farrell with the Host style forehead prosthetic). Also early episodes strongly imply that Sisko's father is dead, but he turns up alive and well in season 4.

No. The Voyager crew was in, I think, 1998, and it was clearly still our world, no mention at all of any Eugenics Wars equivalent to WWIII.

The 2024 incarnation of Dr. Soong was just brushing off an old paper file from 1996 called Project Khan. So they kept 1996 in there but clearly show Khan hasn't happened yet in order to keep the idea that the Star Trek future is our future.

Maybe Khan was put on ice in 1996 and then rethawed sometime after 2024 but before Botany Bay where he got refrozen?

Maybe Khan was put on ice in 1996 and then rethawed sometime after 2024 but before Botany Bay where he got refrozen?
    LOL. Yes, there's an explanation for everything.

Having come out of a very fundamentalist religious background, I've encountered that sort of argument for real.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It doesn't make sense though, we've already lived through the 90's and there was no Eugenics War so thus it must be further in the timeline. I've seen people try to handwave it as a "shadow war" we weren't even aware was happening but that just seems dumb to me, it seems far easier to just admit it was an incorrect prediction about the future and just bump it forward. We'll eventually have to do the same for WWIII as I'm thinking that if the invasion of Ukraine wasn't enough to ignite a new world war we aren't likely to have one start in 2026.
    Why does the show need to change its own history just because real life went differently?

No. The Voyager crew was in, I think, 1998, and it was clearly still our world, no mention at all of any Eugenics Wars equivalent to WWIII.
    The episode took place in 1996, the year the war ended. They did avoid mentioning the war, but there wasn't anything in the episode that would contradict the war, either. Heck, in the episode itself, one of the props is a photo of a DY-100 ship blasting off, creating a direct tie to the Eugenics Wars story.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The 2024 incarnation of Dr. Soong was just brushing off an old paper file from 1996 called Project Khan. So they kept 1996 in there but clearly show Khan hasn't happened yet in order to keep the idea that the Star Trek future is our future.
    Haven't had a chance to see PIC yet, so had to look that up. I've been trying to train myself to understand that current Star Trek ignores canon and continuity, but I'm really starting to get sick of all the revisionism. The logic behind it doesn't even make sense (the time manipulation in ENT created the timeline TOS took place in) and the Eugenics Wars being a '90s event is too established to uproot at this point. Also, it's really rich that they want to break canon with the Eugenics Wars because "it didn't happen in real life," while basing their show on the sanctuary districts, which are just as fictional and have already been shown to have not happened in real life.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Why does the show need to change its own history just because real life went differently?

The episode took place in 1996, the year the war ended. They did avoid mentioning the war, but there wasn't anything in the episode that would contradict the war, either. Heck, in the episode itself, one of the props is a photo of a DY-100 ship blasting off, creating a direct tie to the Eugenics Wars story.

Haven't had a chance to see PIC yet, so had to look that up. I've been trying to train myself to understand that current Star Trek ignores canon and continuity, but I'm really starting to get sick of all the revisionism. The logic behind it doesn't even make sense (the time manipulation in ENT created the timeline TOS took place in) and the Eugenics Wars being a '90s event is too established to uproot at this point. Also, it's really rich that they want to break canon with the Eugenics Wars because "it didn't happen in real life," while basing their show on the sanctuary districts, which are just as fictional and have already been shown to have not happened in real life.
    True. Also, unless we get an absolutely mind-boggling advancement in science and tech in the next two years, the tech of "Picard" in 2024 is going to be magnitudes beyond real life.