Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Star Trek transporters question

I was watching Star Trek Discovery, and Michael was running from the bridge to engineering cause Tilly was in trouble.

But it did spark a question. Is there a rule against using transporters within the ship to get from point A to point B? If you need to get there fast, like a medical emergency. I don't recall ever seeing that, but I decided to ask, cause I'm sure other people know more.

I know in ST:TNG, there was the convict who was escaping who did inner ship transport.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I was watching Star Trek Discovery, and Michael was running from the bridge to engineering cause Tilly was in trouble.

But it did spark a question. Is there a rule against using transporters within the ship to get from point A to point B? If you need to get there fast, like a medical emergency. I don't recall ever seeing that, but I decided to ask, cause I'm sure other people know more.

I know in ST:TNG, there was the convict who was escaping who did inner ship transport.
    Haven't watched DISCO since Season 2 but if a ship is at Warp Transporters are only to be used in extreme cases due to the affect Warp Fields has on transporting.

You can't dampen the Heisenberg Effect within a ship. I just made that up since it is all made up as many thing on Star Trek defy physics.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

I haven't saw a within the ship transport in a very long span of movies and series.
    I think that we did saw this in DISCO S4 but I am not putting my hand in the fire because my memory is a little vague these days.

Canonically, it was dangerous to beam within a ship (risk of beaming someone into a wall) during the 23rd century. However, given DSC's disregard of the era's worldbuilding, my guess is that writers forgot about the tech rather than remembering that rule.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

In the VOY, I do recall the Doctor performing emergency medical transporters. There is a transporter on the Enterprise in SNW too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You can't dampen the Heisenberg Effect within a ship. I just made that up since it is all made up as many thing on Star Trek defy physics.
    Pretty much this. If you try to make too much sense out of Star Trek science, you're going to boil your brain. Just roll with the plot devices and concentrate on the story.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Pretty much this. If you try to make too much sense out of Star Trek science, you're going to boil your brain. Just roll with the plot devices and concentrate on the story.
    Pretty much this, as the actual answer is that they don't because it kills the dramatic tension of the stories they are telling. It's like wondering why the Fellowship didn't ride the eagles to Mount Doom.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I have this vague memory of them doing it once in TOS and talking about how dangerous it was.

My problem with transporters in any of the prequel shows is that they tend to work better than they did in TOS. For instance, in the first episode of "Enterprise", they did a "running transport" where Archer was running through the corridors of a ship and they managed to lock onto him and beam him while he was moving, something they could not do 150 years later in the Cage and TOS.

I just think it would be better, dramatically, to play on what they can't do and make them find other solutions than to fall back on tech they shouldn't yet have at such an advanced level.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 06-23-2022 at 11:26 AM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I have this vague memory of them doing it once in TOS and talking about how dangerous it was.

My problem with transporters in any of the prequel shows is that they tend to work better than they did in TOS. For instance, in the first episode of "Enterprise", they did a "running transport" where Archer was running through the corridors of a ship and they managed to lock onto him and beam him while he was moving, something they could not do 150 years later in the Cage and TOS.

I just think it would be better, dramatically, to play on what they can't do and make them find other solutions than to fall back on tech they shouldn't yet have at such an advanced level.
    I tend to agree. IMO, show runners get carried away by what they can visually display, or how they can curveball a plot twist into the story without thinking on what it implies for future stories. In the early bibles, Roddenberry had wanted Captain April to be able to trigger the Enterprise's transporter with his communicator, but realized that would handicap writers trying to build suspense. He revised it to not only eliminate that ability but to pose that transporters ate a lot of the ship's power, although the series never did anything with that angle.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I tend to agree. IMO, show runners get carried away by what they can visually display, or how they can curveball a plot twist into the story without thinking on what it implies for future stories. In the early bibles, Roddenberry had wanted Captain April to be able to trigger the Enterprise's transporter with his communicator, but realized that would handicap writers trying to build suspense. He revised it to not only eliminate that ability but to pose that transporters ate a lot of the ship's power, although the series never did anything with that angle.
    There's a phenomenon called "power creep" which sounds like a sleazy super villain but means that, as time goes on, writers and the Powers that Be want to sneak the power level of a show higher and higher. In Star Trek, that generally means the technological capabilities. Of course, that's problematic when it's supposed to be a prequel.

You can already see it in all the tech like the Spore Drive and the things they can do with the tech they do have in the prequels, tech they shouldn't have at all or at a far more primitive level. Then there's the need or perceived need to wow the audience. So, now, if you accept the prequels as canon (which I don't; they are fun but not canon as far as the TOS universe is concerned), Kirk's Enterprise no longer were the first to prove time travel was possible, or discover the Mirror Universe, or know of the existence of the Gorn, etc., etc. Heck, the Gorn apparently are not even slow moving anymore, the one factor that helped Kirk win against one, I guess because speed is more exciting on-screen I suppose it's debatable now if the Hundred Years War with the Romulans even happened in whatever the Enterprise/ Discovery/ SNW timeline is called. But, a lot of it comes down to the need to keep one-upping what has gone before, even when its supposed to happen after.

The Romulan War was waged from 2156 to 2160, and ended with the Romulans' loss and the creation of the Neutral Zone. It was another hundred years before the Romulans returned with their cloaking device and plasma torpedoes in 2266.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

There's a phenomenon called "power creep" which sounds like a sleazy super villain but means that, as time goes on, writers and the Powers that Be want to sneak the power level of a show higher and higher. In Star Trek, that generally means the technological capabilities.
    In the Star Trek series, they *constantly* run into alien races with more advanced technology than they do, but they *never* feel the need to try to steal/integrate the advanced technology with their own tech.

Really Starfleet's technological advances basically are slower that the current human races, they should be super quick cool stuff showing up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    In the Star Trek series, they *constantly* run into alien races with more advanced technology than they do, but they *never* feel the need to try to steal/integrate the advanced technology with their own tech.

Really Starfleet's technological advances basically are slower that the current human races, they should be super quick cool stuff showing up all the time.
    I agree 100%. The only thing that makes it a problem is when it's supposed to be a prequel. I think we have to acknowledge that these prequals are not exactly prequels to the Star Trek that appeared on television sets in the 1960s but to some tweaked alternate version that happens in the future of the prequels, a version that is a early 21st century fantasy of what the 23rd century will be rather than a 1960s fantasy of the future. It's really no different than saying that Marvel history is still intact but it all happened in the last seven years or so. So, stuff that really was published in 1961 now happened in 2015? Obviously, it could not have happened in exactly the same way. What matters is that the essence of the story what the writer was trying to say, is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

I think it's kind of been implied in the reboot universe that encountering the Narada is the reason Starfleet seems more advanced than in TOS, especially the different look of the Enterprise; even though Narada and it's crew were captured by the Klingons according to a deleted scene/Uhura's dialogue. Might also be why Klingon tech looks different and they've already messed up Praxis.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth