View Poll Results: What Should WB Do With Flash Movie?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Release The Movie In Theaters As Is With Limited Press

24 38.10%
  • Recast Miller and reshoot the movie or ending

13 20.63%
  • Dump It On HBO Max

14 22.22%
  • Shelve It Entirely

10 15.87%
  • Other

2 3.17%

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    WW84 was released on during the Christmas season of 2020. Seven weeks after Covid vaccines became available world wide. Looking at films released in December 2020; WW had a wide open field. It's only competition being Pixar's Soul. It flopped because it didn't have audience and people who did see it weren't impressed by what they saw. Pandemic aside. A budget of $200 million against a world wide gross of $160 is a flop. The Suicide Squad (2021) had a comparable budget of $185 million and a gross of $167 million. Curious that no one uses the pandemic as a catch-all excuse for it's poor performance.

The same can be said for Sonic The Hedgehog and Birds of Prey. Sonic Boomed and Harley and the Birds bombed. The pandemic is used to explain BOP's low turn out. Despite both films releasing in January and global lockdowns happening in March.

The audience wasn't there there for a lot films. See Tenet, Black Widow, Eternals, Cruella, Encanto, Pixar's current catalog (Soul, Onward, Luca, Turning Red and now Lightyear). But you have success stories in Godzilla vs Kong, Dune, Fast and Furious 9, Spider-Man NWH, Venom 2, and arguably Shang-Chi. I would be bias if I was picking the winners and castigating the losers. It would also be a sign of bias if I turned a blind eye to a respective film's shortcomings. Not that I feel bad for WW84 or BOP flopping. TPTB had plans for both despite their failures in theaters. As both were submitted to the Academy for Oscar nominations. I don't know what the executives were thinking doing that. If I had to guess, they were trying to salvage the poor performance with audiences by winning awards. After all, a "toxic" film like Joker won an Oscar and crossed a billion at the BO a year prior. Despite all the bad press the film received.
    Are you being serious? A simple google search:

Yes rollout of the vaccine began in December:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55305720.amp

But people weren’t exactly lining up to take it and WW84 released a mere two weeks later… when you have to wait a whole month between doses to be fully vaccinated. Therefore vaccines weren’t readily available and most Americans (well all when WW84 released) were not fully vaccinated.

Many countries also had their theaters shut down in December 2020, so I don’t see why you’re continuing to ignore that. East Asia was probably the only region that had Covid under control at that time

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/12/29/...n-decades.html

Less than 40% of movie theaters were open when WW84 released and they were operating at 25-50% capacity! LA, NYC and SF were all still in lockdown (and those are the biggest markets), yet you think that didn’t effect WW84 box office? Lol give me a break

WW84 also released simultaneously on HBO Max and helped bring up subscriptions, that’s why it’s getting a sequel. Also WW is one of DC’s biggest characters, of course she’s going to get more films -_-

https://thedirect.com/article/wonder...ax-subscribers

TSS was a bomb at the box office, but it did decent on HBO Max. Curious how Sonic is some huge success when it barely made 300M. GVK would have bombed too if not for China. The rest of those films, I don’t feel like going through but you get the gist of where I’m going

Anyway I’m done with this conversation. It’ll definitely go no where since you clearly are avoiding facts and the whole Covid situation, acting like everything was equal when all those films released. Can’t wait for Wonder Woman 3!
    Last edited by El_Gato; 06-23-2022 at 01:43 AM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!