View Poll Results: What Should WB Do With Flash Movie?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Release The Movie In Theaters As Is With Limited Press

24 38.10%
  • Recast Miller and reshoot the movie or ending

13 20.63%
  • Dump It On HBO Max

14 22.22%
  • Shelve It Entirely

10 15.87%
  • Other

2 3.17%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Release it, as is, no reshooting the ending with a new actor because by god that would have everyone who does see it roll their eyes and groan very loudly. Just recast the role after the film is out. I just don't understand this new need some people have for an "in-universe" explanation for something as standard as a simple recasting. Just Cheadle/Ruffalo the role and move on.
    Because recasting at the end of a film vs in a sequel is just sooooo much more different? The audience has to groan at home when they announce someone new?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    This right here.

Dump "The Flash" on HBOMax and then just relaunch DC on film with a new film that has no ties to Christopher Nolan, David Goyer, or Zack Snyder.

The best bet would be to set the tone for a new DC film universe with a fun, inspiring, romantic, and action-packed Superman movie. Get Brad Bird to direct, maybe get Jeph Loeb and Morrison to write treatments. Give us a Superman film that makes us feel the way we did when we saw Captain America The First Avenger, which was more of a Superman movie than anything on the big screen since 2006. Just call it "Superman."

If done right, this movie would be huge. Wait for the sequel to drop references to the rest of the DCU. Since Superman should always be the first hero, we'd hear about an urban legend in Gotham City, a USAF pilot whose plane disappeared, a guy struck by lightning in Central City, and reports of a crashed UFO in Coast City. Make this a separate continuity from everything that's come before: no Snyderverse, no Donner, no Pattman. Hell, instead of the expected introductions, have Clark meet retired members of the JSA and build a rich backstory for potential spin-offs.
    You do know that there are multiple movies already made and in production that spin directly out of this, right? They aren't going to cancel multiple multimillion dollar films that are already in the can just because everybody wants them to follow the Marvel formula.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Yes, they ran on time. Ran right over the legacies of iconic modern myths and left them practically unrecognizable. I'd rather never see another DC film if "being on time" and making money is going to be more important than the integrity of a universe almost a century old and solid storytelling.
    Your statement in a world where Geoff Johns and Whedon’s Josstice League played copycat of Avengers 1 and MCU inspired tone lost money and nobody liked it. Compared to Snyder’s JL which was superior to Josstice League; as well as Netflix’s 2021 Jupiter’s Legacy and the MCU’s 2021 justice League inspired Eternals film. WB has the genuine article and version of the JL people want to see continue but Snyder “got it wrong”.

Meanwhile, creative liberties taken with Birds of Prey and WW84 had characters unrecognizable, ridiculous plots and saw both films lose money. But nobody wants to talk about them and their sleights to the canon and effect on pop culture. WW is rewarded with a 3rd film despite bad reviews for its second movie and flopping at the BO.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 06-22-2022 at 05:10 AM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    At this point, they need to accept they won't make money back. The movie was too troubled, delayed too often, and now the actor is a problem.
    Put it on HBO Max and use it as a tax writeoff. Cut Miller loose, hire someone new for the role, and start over.
    I think that's an extreme outlook considering the movie is bringing back Michael Keaton as Batman and will feature Ben Affleck in his final appearance in the role. Provided it's not a critical disaster, it should do well enough at the box office. The average movie-goer simply doesn't care Ezra Miller is a basket case.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The entire DC movie franchise needs an overhall. I say sideline all future movies until they can sit down and work out a way to establish their own version of the MCU. I know that all these actors are under contract but we're nearly ten years out from MOS and there's no functional continuity. Ten years out from the first Iron Man we were preparing for Endgame. This is ridiculous. Letting a director do their "vision" might work with something like Joker but you can't run a mainstream superhero universe that way. Sit down, clean house, come back in five years with a new plan.
    Lol that’s not happening and people who say shelf everything and come back in 5 to 10 years clearly do not understand how heavily WB’s theatrical (and streaming) slate depends on DC. DC is their crown jewel and shelving it for a few years would mean WB would have a very weak theatrical slate compared to the other studios. Not happening

This right here.

Dump "The Flash" on HBOMax and then just relaunch DC on film with a new film that has no ties to Christopher Nolan, David Goyer, or Zack Snyder.

The best bet would be to set the tone for a new DC film universe with a fun, inspiring, romantic, and action-packed Superman movie. Get Brad Bird to direct, maybe get Jeph Loeb and Morrison to write treatments. Give us a Superman film that makes us feel the way we did when we saw Captain America The First Avenger, which was more of a Superman movie than anything on the big screen since 2006. Just call it "Superman."

If done right, this movie would be huge. Wait for the sequel to drop references to the rest of the DCU. Since Superman should always be the first hero, we'd hear about an urban legend in Gotham City, a USAF pilot whose plane disappeared, a guy struck by lightning in Central City, and reports of a crashed UFO in Coast City. Make this a separate continuity from everything that's come before: no Snyderverse, no Donner, no Pattman. Hell, instead of the expected introductions, have Clark meet retired members of the JSA and build a rich backstory for potential spin-offs.
    Lol you can’t just dump a 200M film on HBO Max and change up contracts on the whim… like really?!! WB would get sued again, and have to cough up even more money to do so. They spent well over a billion last year in paying off contracts for the same day release strategy… no way they do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    You statement in a world where Geoff Johns and Whedon’s Josstice League played copycat of Avengers 1 and MCU inspired tone lost money and nobody liked it. Compared to Snyder’s JL which was superior to Josstice League; as well as Netflix’s 2021 Jupiter’s League and the MCU’s 2021 justice League inspired Eternals film. WB has the genuine article and version of the JL people want to see continue but Snyder “got it wrong”.

Meanwhile, creative liberties taken with Birds of Prey and WW84 had characters unrecognizable, ridiculous plots and saw both films lose money. But nobody wants to talk about them and their sleights to the canon and effect on pop culture. WW is rewarded with a 3 film despite bad reviews for its second movie and flopping at the BO.
    Because WW84 releases at the height of the pandemic! There were no vaccines, Covid was spreading like wildfire, theaters were still mostly shut down (LA, NYC, and SF, the biggest movie markets in the USA were all shut down) . Plus the theaters that were open were only operating at 25-50% capacity. Come on now! Ignoring these facts is ridiculous… I didn’t like WW84 and even I know you’re being biased when you say it flopped at the box office
    Last edited by El_Gato; 06-22-2022 at 02:52 AM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Because WW84 releases at the height of the pandemic! There were no vaccines, Covid was spreading like wildfire, theaters were still mostly shut down (LA, NYC, and SF, the biggest movie markets in the USA were all shut down) . Plus the theaters that were open were only operating at 25-50% capacity. Come on now! Ignoring these facts is ridiculous… I didn’t like WW84 and even I know you’re being biased when you say it flopped at the box office
    WW84 was released on during the Christmas season of 2020. Seven weeks after Covid vaccines became available world wide. Looking at films released in December 2020; WW had a wide open field. It's only competition being Pixar's Soul. It flopped because it didn't have audience and people who did see it weren't impressed by what they saw. Pandemic aside. A budget of $200 million against a world wide gross of $160 is a flop. The Suicide Squad (2021) had a comparable budget of $185 million and a gross of $167 million. Curious that no one uses the pandemic as a catch-all excuse for it's poor performance.

The same can be said for Sonic The Hedgehog and Birds of Prey. Sonic Boomed and Harley and the Birds bombed. The pandemic is used to explain BOP's low turn out. Despite both films releasing in January and global lockdowns happening in March.

The audience wasn't there there for a lot films. See Tenet, Black Widow, Eternals, Cruella, Encanto, Pixar's current catalog (Soul, Onward, Luca, Turning Red and now Lightyear). But you have success stories in Godzilla vs Kong, Dune, Fast and Furious 9, Spider-Man NWH, Venom 2, and arguably Shang-Chi. I would be bias if I was picking the winners and castigating the losers. It would also be a sign of bias if I turned a blind eye to a respective film's shortcomings. Not that I feel bad for WW84 or BOP flopping. TPTB had plans for both despite their failures in theaters. As both were submitted to the Academy for Oscar nominations. I don't know what the executives were thinking doing that. If I had to guess, they were trying to salvage the poor performance with audiences by winning awards. After all, a "toxic" film like Joker won an Oscar and crossed a billion at the BO a year prior. Despite all the bad press the film received.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 06-22-2022 at 06:53 AM.

The only kind of "bad press" Joker had was the corporate media pushing the "violent white male" narrative, and then a machete fight broke out during a Frozen II screening. Don't remember when was the last time I laughed so hard.

I see people still pretending Snyder's the most wronged individual in the history of Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The only kind of "bad press" Joker had was the corporate media pushing the "violent white male" narrative, and then a machete fight broke out during a Frozen II screening. Don't remember when was the last time I laughed so hard.
    I hadn't heard about the Frozen II situation. That is crazy! Idk how I missed something like that.

With Joker, it is bad when even your own parent company's news network (Warner Media/AT&T owns CNN) is also publishing articles and running segments about how Joker could potentially fuel white male violence. Speculating that we could potentially see a copy of the Aurora movie theater shooting at screenings of the movie. Knives out for your own team. Brutal stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The entire DC movie franchise needs an overhall. I say sideline all future movies until they can sit down and work out a way to establish their own version of the MCU. I know that all these actors are under contract but we're nearly ten years out from MOS and there's no functional continuity. Ten years out from the first Iron Man we were preparing for Endgame. This is ridiculous. Letting a director do their "vision" might work with something like Joker but you can't run a mainstream superhero universe that way. Sit down, clean house, come back in five years with a new plan.
    I argued it a decade ago and it still stands today - we don't need an MCU styled shared cinematic universe. I'd much rather have unconnected director driven movies like Joker or The Batman anyways. Imagine where we'd be if they hadn't tried to copy Marvel and just kept doing things like the old Superman and Batman movies, but applied to all the heroes. A Flash trilogy could've happened by now. Superman wouldn't have to be in limbo.

T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Because recasting at the end of a film vs in a sequel is just sooooo much more different? The audience has to groan at home when they announce someone new?
    Better than groaning in theaters. Plus only people on sites like this groan. Most people just don't care about it at all. Again, just look at the Rhodey and Hulk recasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I argued it a decade ago and it still stands today - we don't need an MCU styled shared cinematic universe. I'd much rather have unconnected director driven movies like Joker or The Batman anyways. Imagine where we'd be if they hadn't tried to copy Marvel and just kept doing things like the old Superman and Batman movies, but applied to all the heroes. A Flash trilogy could've happened by now. Superman wouldn't have to be in limbo.
    I still would like an interconnected universe but at this point they just need to focus on putting out good movies.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I still would like an interconnected universe but at this point they just need to focus on putting out good movies.
    Focusing on creating good movies (easier said than done, but still), but just upping the frequency of movies and doing it for more characters was always my argument, but everyone said no, we need an interconnected universe. A decade later and they're not happy with it. I don't know, just hard for me not to be sore over it. We could have had such quality only at the expense of crossovers and team ups. Instead the lack of quality torpedoed the much hyped "interconnectedness" everyone once went on about...

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I don't think the studio can afford NOT to release the movie. The amount of money that's already been poured into it means they HAVE to try and recoup whatever they possibly can from this trainwreck.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.