Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Black Adam #1 Discussion/Spoilers

I have been waiting for this. Let's be real, the current DC team of writers and overall direction is not particularly exciting as a whole and so, anybody who has a glance of talent immediately stands out and thank God that person here is Christopher Priest who wrote one of the best runs on the character of Deathstroke, showing the true complexity of what a true villain could show.

These were the reasons why he seems so right for a morally complex character like Black Adam, a character by the way who is the leader of his own country and you can bet that Priest will exploit such premise in every conceivable way. Right from the beginning we're faced with the political arguments that Adam has to face constantly against other nations, not to mention that current rivalry he has with other people from his own country who don't approve of his leadership, all of this mixed in a mystery that is threatening to affect all Kahndaq.

I think one of the best aspects here is how Priest implemented the mandated event Dark Crisis in an intersting manner. The question of "How did Black Adam survive a fight against Darkside" is answered towards the end and such answer is most definitely what will guide the plot of this book. The writer also appropriately introduces the new cast of the book, people who will be extremely important for the course of the story, especially one who is bound to become just as relevant as Black Adam himself. This is all contained into the typical content-packed read that you can expect from the author.

Rafa Sandoval handles the art and he does a great job at depicting all the different emotions the characters show and follows the script as clearly as possible.

Compelling opening, can't wait to see the fate of Adam.

That slang was not it. For me at least

Quote Originally Posted by Thephantasm View Post
    "Affirmative action, bee-yotch!"

I don't know why, but reading this reminded me of Amadeus Cho.
    I hope Malik doesn't end up with electric powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thephantasm View Post
    Yeah, it ended becoming annoying. Malik's dialogues ended becoming the worst part of the issue.

I thought it was great. Theo's human form is different than what I thought it would be.

Malik's lines are real bad and I'm afraid that it might ruin the entire thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Malik's lines are real bad and I'm afraid that it might ruin the entire thing for me.
    Yeah I need to know what the deal is with him. Is he meant to be a loser and his speech patterns are reflecting that, as seen with how the girl he’s crushing on has friendzoned him? Or is it just Priest trying and failing to imitate zoomer slang? I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt since he wrote Wallace fairly well during his Deathstroke run, but he needs to change Malik’s speech patterns because they’re coming across as “how do you do fellow kids?”

Adam himself is great though, think he’s got a good handle on who Adam is.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I thought it was great. Theo's human form is different than what I thought it would be.
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting him to look so young or like a pretty boy. I thought his human form was supposed to be identical to his adult form.

Honestly I thought Malik was just exaggerating his way of speech because of the situation. Like he trying to act “extra black” to mess with the white supremacist he was dealing with and then got more exaggerated as he was getting arrested and then dealing with the weird Khandaq stuff. Although whether it’s an exaggeration or not will remain to be seen next issue.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honestly I thought Malik was just exaggerating his way of speech because of the situation. Like he trying to act “extra black” to mess with the white supremacist he was dealing with and then got more exaggerated as he was getting arrested and then dealing with the weird Khandaq stuff. Although whether it’s an exaggeration or not will remain to be seen next issue.
    Hope that by next issue Malik drops the speech, because it was so annoying as hell.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I loved the whole thing. Maybe it's just because I'm ancient, but Malik's dialogue struck me as very strong - I could really hear him talking. I definitely didn't get the sense that he was supposed to be cool - more a nervous jabbermouth.

Sandoval's art was just amazing. I really, really hope that he's on all 12 issues (and that this team gets a season two like Swamp Thing did!)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Also, I feel like they were trying to compare Malik to Theo in terms of arrogance. Maybe I’m just reading into things but you can definitely see something there in comparing how Theo/Adam is just really annoyed having to be in front of congress as the leader of Khandaq and how annoyed Malik seems not being respected as a doctor or as he’s being questioned about the assassination. Again maybe it’s just me reading into things.

Also are we supposed to call him Malik White or Malik Adam-White?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

My guess is we're going to learn more about Malik the more we get to know him. And I'm very intrigued about what Priest is doing with Adam vs. Malik. I feel there's more contrast than similarities, but maybe not!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

That was a very solid first issue. I’m excited to know more about Malik.
    I’m sad that this is not really an ongoing, thought. I didn’t know it’s a limited series until I saw the cover.