Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Titan Comics gets Conan and REH comic license

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...cs-1235168774/

Titan has acquired the comic license for Conan and other Robert E. Howard characters. They recently also acquired the license to publish prose books of REH characters as well and a new line of pastiche novels will begin appearing this October and a behind the scenes book about the Conan movie in November.

A new Conan the Barbarian comic will launch in May 2023, with series featuring Solomon Kane, Kull and Dark Agnes to follow. They will also be releasing collections of older Conan comics as well, taking over the collected edition line from Marvel as well.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...cs-1235168774/

Titan has acquired the comic license for Conan and other Robert E. Howard characters. They recently also acquired the license to publish prose books of REH characters as well and a new line of pastiche novels will begin appearing this October and a behind the scenes book about the Conan movie in November.

A new Conan the Barbarian comic will launch in May 2023, with series featuring Solomon Kane, Kull and Dark Agnes to follow. They will also be releasing collections of older Conan comics as well, taking over the collected edition line from Marvel as well.
    How long did Marvel have the license this time?

Four years. That article says they've had it since 2018.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

They got the license in 2018, but it didn't go into effect until 2019. The first new Conan comic they put out was cover dated March 2019 and went on sale in January 2019. Titan is in a similar situation. They got the license this year, but the Marvel deal doesn't end until the end of the 2022 calendar year, so the first comic material they put out won't be until 2023. The book deal they had, which was in place before the comic deal, is already in effect so the first new prose material will be out later this year.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I'll be hoping they do a good job with the character.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

They got the license in 2018, but it didn't go into effect until 2019. The first new Conan comic they put out was cover dated March 2019 and went on sale in January 2019. Titan is in a similar situation. They got the license this year, but the Marvel deal doesn't end until the end of the 2022 calendar year, so the first comic material they put out won't be until 2023.
    That really isn't so terrible for Titan. After all, how long will it take them to create, solicit, and publish a new Conan comic book?

The zero issue came out on FCBD and looks amazing de la Torre's art is amazing, channeling both Buscema and Frazetta w/o being derivative. Looking forward to the launch of the series in July.

-M

Astonishing Member

They got the license in 2018, but it didn't go into effect until 2019. The first new Conan comic they put out was cover dated March 2019 and went on sale in January 2019. Titan is in a similar situation. They got the license this year, but the Marvel deal doesn't end until the end of the 2022 calendar year, so the first comic material they put out won't be until 2023. The book deal they had, which was in place before the comic deal, is already in effect so the first new prose material will be out later this year.

-M
    Why did Dark Horse lose the license? It seemed like the last volume by Bunn ended with the monster still feeding off all the people/monsters Conan had killed still at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Why did Dark Horse lose the license? It seemed like the last volume by Bunn ended with the monster still feeding off all the people/monsters Conan had killed still at large.
    Don't know, but maybe $'s were involved?

One has to weigh how much money it would cost to renew a license like that vs. how much money the company can make off of it. Or sometimes, owners of licenses choose not to let a company renew the license for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Don't know, but maybe $'s were involved?

One has to weigh how much money it would cost to renew a license like that vs. how much money the company can make off of it. Or sometimes, owners of licenses choose not to let a company renew the license for various reasons.
    Part of it too, behind the scenes was they Conan Properties might have thought Marvel's Disney connections might have been able to help them more to get Conan back on a screen somewhere more than DH. That at least was some of the rumbling I head when it switched from DH to Marvel. If so, it didn't pan out. But regardless of that, Dark Horse was only moving about 5K units per issue, Marvel when they decided not to renew were selling at least double that and it still wasn't profitable enough to renew, so I'm sure lack of profitability played a role in DH decision not to renew the license.

It should be noted that I was incorrect in the OP. Titan is not licensing Conan and the REH properties. Heroic Signatures (the company that Conan Properties morphed into) is creating the books directly, not licensing them out Titan is there publishing partner for the UK and Us (i.e. the English speaking markets, but they are working with other publishing partners (like Panini) in non-English speaking markets. I am not sure of the specifics of the deal, but it is more likely they are sharing profits or paying Titan than it is that Titan is paying them to use Conan as they would have in a traditional licensing deal. It also means Heroic Signatures is directly responsible for the content, not Titan, and it is Heroic Signature deciding who is writing and drawing the books (though Titan probably has some input). But it is definitely a different type of deal than they had with either Marvel or Dark Horse.

-M

There were also some hints at Heroic Signatures presentation at this year's Howard Days that a magazine sized b&w Savage Sword series might be in the works for 2024. Nothing is confirmed though.

-M

I'll miss Conan being an Avenger, but the art on this looks realy sweet.

Astonishing Member

I'm hoping they bring Red Sonya into comics. She's only shown up in a pinup in Marvel's Savage Sword.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I'm hoping they bring Red Sonya into comics. She's only shown up in a pinup in Marvel's Savage Sword.
    She's in the group shot of Howard characters that's on the last page of the FCBD issue.

-M

Here's that picture I mentioned...

That's Sonya of Rogatino near the right side...

so she's at least on Heroic Signature's radar.

-M
    Attached Images Attached Images