Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Going to have to get that FCBD issue. Didn't know Howard created so many characters.

I liked the little prologue in the FCBD issue. Great art and hopefully Zub will improve his writing from what he did on Conan at Marvel.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I'm hoping they bring Red Sonya into comics. She's only shown up in a pinup in Marvel's Savage Sword.
    But the Red Sonja character / license is still separate, isn't it?

Doesn't Dynamite still have that agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But the Red Sonja character / license is still separate, isn't it?

Doesn't Dynamite still have that agreement?
    Red Sonya is a different character than Red Sonja. Sonya was a medieval/early modern era swordswoman who appeared in historical stories by REH.

When Roy Thomas created Red Sonja for Marvel, he used her name and look for inspiration, but created a Hyborian Age swordswoman with a completely different back story and personality than Howard's Red Sonya. That's why Sonja has a different license, because she is not an REH character. Sonya is an REH character, and can be used by Heroic Signature the current owner of the Howard estate.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Red Sonya is a different character than Red Sonja. Sonya was a medieval/early modern era swordswoman who appeared in historical stories by REH.

When Roy Thomas created Red Sonja for Marvel, he used her name and look for inspiration, but created a Hyborian Age swordswoman with a completely different back story and personality than Howard's Red Sonya. That's why Sonja has a different license, because she is not an REH character. Sonya is an REH character, and can be used by Heroic Signature the current owner of the Howard estate.

-M
    Great insight. I didnt know that. Thumbs up

Titan announced a B&W magazine sized Savage Sword of Conan book coming out in 2024. The new Savage Sword will include stories by John Arcudi, Frank Tieri, Patch Zircher, Howard Chaykin, Rafael Kayanan, Cary Nord, Rebeca Puebla, Dan Panosian, Richard Pace, Gerardo Zaffino and more.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

First issue of Conan the Barbarian drops today. On my way to my lcs to pick up my copy.

-M

BANNED

I hope that the Titan's run on Conan lasts a long time and brings us many memorble stories

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    I hope that the Titan's run on Conan lasts a long time and brings us many memorble stories
    Initial orders on Conan #1 were over 100K, so it's off to a good start, but we will have to see what the drop off is for issue 2 and 3, and how sales hold up with fewer variables for later issues. All that said, it's been a while since a non-Marvel/DC/Event book even came close to 100K so that's a hopeful sign.

I just got back with my copies (I rarely buy variants, but I succumbed to this one as there were so many good covers-I still would rather see the variants offered as prints instead of comics or a portfolio with all the cover included as plates in larger size) and I am going to sit down and read it after I finish lunch.

-M

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Initial orders on Conan #1 were over 100K, so it's off to a good start, but we will have to see what the drop off is for issue 2 and 3, and how sales hold up with fewer variables for later issues. All that said, it's been a while since a non-Marvel/DC/Event book even came close to 100K so that's a hopeful sign.

I just got back with my copies (I rarely buy variants, but I succumbed to this one as there were so many good covers-I still would rather see the variants offered as prints instead of comics or a portfolio with all the cover included as plates in larger size) and I am going to sit down and read it after I finish lunch.

-M
    Is the paper quality as good as the FCBD ? I'm going to my LCS next week to pick it up along with the rest of my pull list. Oh and Hoopla had the first issue available to check out last night.

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Is the paper quality as good as the FCBD ? I'm going to my LCS next week to pick it up along with the rest of my pull list. Oh and Hoopla had the first issue available to check out last night.
    Looks to be the same quality paper as the FCBD issue, but I haven't compared them side by side yet.

Enjoyed this very much, thought it was superb and I am in for the long haul on this one.

-M

It’s a nice glossy paper stock. It’s not news print quality (does anyone do new print paper anymore) I enjoyed the first issue. I like that they went supernatural right off the bat and not just generic barbarians. My exposure to Conan was the animated series back in the early 90s
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Always good to have more Conan for the read list. I'm still on the Dark Horse era, and dipping into some 70s stuff too.

Part of what really grabbed me about the Dark Horse Conan run was how they were intending to cover every Robert E. Howard Conan story, and kind of cover Conan's whole life story in order. And they covered the bulk of them. Granted oldschool Marvel fans or pulp novel fans will have read many of those already. So now I'm in a different boat for Titan, where I don't want to see retreads so much, don't want to see Thoth Amon more, don't want another take on Tower of the Elephant etc.

But I still also like the idea of it having a good continuity and feel that we're witnessing a chronicle of Conan's epic life story. Maybe a couple more recurring characters coming in and out of the stories, especially love interest/fellow adventurers. And a feel of him ending up in different eras.

Even though it might not make sense, I'd kind of love it if all the Dark Horse stories (before the King era) were canon backstory for this run. Or at least the Robert E. Howard stories, some nod that many of them already happened. But Conan is evergreen and it can have loose continuity like a Sergio Leone western series. And I think what I'm describing is a thing that happens with a lot of comic fans, you get invested in decades of story or something, and then you don't want to start over. But I'll do it for Conan.

Here's a random question: have there been stories where Conan got amnesia? And did he ever become a crime lord when he had amnesia? Yes, this happened on Miami Vice.
    Last edited by SavageJudgeDredd; 08-06-2023 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    Always good to have more Conan for the read list. I'm still on the Dark Horse era, and dipping into some 70s stuff too.

Part of what really grabbed me about the Dark Horse Conan run was how they were intending to cover every Robert E. Howard Conan story, and kind of cover Conan's whole life story in order. And they covered the bulk of them. Granted oldschool Marvel fans or pulp novel fans will have read many of those already. So now I'm in a different boat for Titan, where I don't want to see retreads so much, don't want to see Thoth Amon more, don't want another take on Tower of the Elephant etc.

But I still also like the idea of it having a good continuity and feel that we're witnessing a chronicle of Conan's epic life story. Maybe a couple more recurring characters coming in and out of the stories, especially love interest/fellow adventurers. And a feel of him ending up in different eras.

Even though it might not make sense, I'd kind of love it if all the Dark Horse stories (before the King era) were canon backstory for this run. Or at least the Robert E. Howard stories, some nod that many of them already happened. But Conan is evergreen and it can have loose continuity like a Sergio Leone western series. And I think what I'm describing is a thing that happens with a lot of comic fans, you get invested in decades of story or something, and then you don't want to start over. But I'll do it for Conan.

Here's a random question: have there been stories where Conan got amnesia? And did he ever become a crime lord when he had amnesia? Yes, this happened on Miami Vice.
    Jim Zub has said they will not be adapting any of the Howard tales in the new series, but will be moving in and out of Conan's life around and between those stories. Not sure about what the plans are for Savage Sword regarding adaptations, but that's not until 2024 anyways.

And REH didn't tell Conan's stories in order, but considered them to be "yarns told around a campfire" so while I like their being a loose idea of the path of Conan's career, I don't see a need for a strict continuity accounting for every second of Conan's life. Just tell good stories that can be enjoyed on their own.

-M