Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Tried reading through the original X-Men stories once and it felt like literal torture. I said eff it and fast forwarded to the Giant Size crew. Also Etrigan is a funny entertaining character IMO who I don't find annoying at all.
    The later Adams issues were a fun read.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    I don't think that was the original plan, he was always meant to be the brains with brawns mutant but I wish that Marvel had stuck to his original look instead of the blue beast look.
    In the first issue Hank is definitely just the Thing. Stan Lee has said that he realized they needed something to distinguish Beast from the Thing and came up with the idea of making him the annoying intellectual (basically, Dilton Doily from Archie comics).

Lee was trying out a lot of stuff while dialoguing those early issues, like the infamous panel where Profesor Xavier is in love with Jean, which was never referred to again while Stan was editor (and probably should never have been referred to at all).

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I concur. Truly classic (IMHO):

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Tried reading through the original X-Men stories once and it felt like literal torture. I said eff it and fast forwarded to the Giant Size crew. Also Etrigan is a funny entertaining character IMO who I don't find annoying at all.
    At times, it has been torture; nevertheless, I shall prevail!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I concur. Truly classic (IMHO):
    I think this story(which I hear intern Claremont contributed to), Lee's original Sentinel and Juggernaut stories, and the Z'Nox story at the very end, are about the only great stories in this original run. I'm sorry, but it was torturous to slug through these issues. I've never been particularly interested in the 05+ cast anyways, and seeing their earliest presentations did not improve my interpretation. I do miss Warren being a rival to Scott, but I guess Logan took that spot definitively in the Claremont era. I do think Feige should pull out all of their origins though. Those are angles to the characters that are largely lost on modern fans and do give interesting backstories for the boys(Jean would have to wait for Lord Claremont to give her a backstory...) lives prior to us meeting them already set up at the mansion in #1. Bobby's in particular is really good. Obviously they didn't really have him as gay back then(even if his debut in #1 is certainly funny in modern hindsight...), but the mob violence scene and his father trying to stand up for him is even better now. Love Scott's too, don't erase Jack Winters(hmmm, Scott's relationship with telepathic/diamond form Emma now has an even more interesting Freudian context)! Neal Adam's art is very good, but the writing from Roy Thomas in those issues is still iffy(and full of insensitive racial sentiments). I will never forget this page:

05arewhack.jpg

Mutant heroes, ladies and gentlemen! Thank the gods Cockrum/Wein and Claremont came in afterwards.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I think this story(which I hear intern Claremont contributed to), Lee's original Sentinel and Juggernaut stories, and the Z'Nox story at the very end, are about the only great stories in this original run. I'm sorry, but it was torturous to slug through these issues. I've never been particularly interested in the 05+ cast anyways, and seeing their earliest presentations did not improve my interpretation. I do miss Warren being a rival to Scott, but I guess Logan took that spot definitively in the Claremont era. I do think Feige should pull out all of their origins though. Those are angles to the characters that are largely lost on modern fans and do give interesting backstories for the boys(Jean would have to wait for Lord Claremont to give her a backstory...) lives prior to us meeting them already set up at the mansion in #1. Bobby's in particular is really good. Obviously they didn't really have him as gay back then(even if his debut in #1 is certainly funny in modern hindsight...), but the mob violence scene and his father trying to stand up for him is even better now. Love Scott's too, don't erase Jack Winters(hmmm, Scott's relationship with telepathic/diamond form Emma now has an even more interesting Freudian context)! Neal Adam's art is very good, but the writing from Roy Thomas in those issues is still iffy(and full of insensitive racial sentiments). I will never forget this page:

05arewhack.jpg

Mutant heroes, ladies and gentlemen! Thank the gods Cockrum/Wein and Claremont came in afterwards.
    Don't forget, "camel jockeys."
    On the other other hand, forget it, given your anger with the original text.
    LOL
    Yes, thank goodness Claremont took over the writing.

All-New Member

Default X-Men #29

Here's a What If? idea?
    What if the X-Men had become the Super-Adaptoid's other Adaptiods?
    I'd buy that for a dollar.
    LOL

All-New Member

Default X-Men #29

Calvin Rankin has become a man.
    On to X-Men #30 with fill-in artist, Jack Sparling!
    Um, yay?
    CalR.jpg

All-New Member

Default X-Men #30

*yawn*
    Moving on. . .

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    To this day still some of my favorite X-Men issues.
    The first dozen or so by Lee and Kirby are a fun read also.

One of the things that jumped out at me in early issues was how Stan apparently forgot what Cyclops's name was. In the first issue, he's Slim Summers. In fact, he's even introduced by Xavier as Slim.

It's not until several issues later that we get "Scott" with no renfare or reveal at all. On top of that, the book often seemed to keep calling him Cyclops even when referring to the others by their real names.

I'm also amused by how completely unimportant the guy that crushed Xavier's legs turned out to be in the whole mythos.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    One of the things that jumped out at me in early issues was how Stan apparently forgot what Cyclops's name was. In the first issue, he's Slim Summers. In fact, he's even introduced by Xavier as Slim.

It's not until several issues later that we get "Scott" with no renfare or reveal at all. On top of that, the book often seemed to keep calling him Cyclops even when referring to the others by their real names.

I'm also amused by how completely unimportant the guy that crushed Xavier's legs turned out to be in the whole mythos.
    Ironically, his whole thing about characters with repeated initials (Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Bruce Banner, etc) was exactly because he couldn't remember character names.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Ironically, his whole thing about characters with repeated initials (Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Bruce Banner, etc) was exactly because he couldn't remember character names.
    I know and that just makes it funnier.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricStrider1 View Post
    The Banshee!
    'Nuff said!
    Indeed.

See how powerful he was there and compare and contrast to now where he seems to get his arse booted by anyone and everyone. It's difficult for me to work out exactly why the current X office hates him so much.

Perhaps the new look will change things.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Indeed.

See how powerful he was there and compare and contrast to now where he seems to get his arse booted by anyone and everyone. It's difficult for me to work out exactly why the current X office hates him so much.

Perhaps the new look will change things.
    I hear ya.