Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Demoslider View Post
    I just finished the first 10 issues and agreeing they are a lot of fun and essential to building a foundation for storylines in the decades to come. You even see how much a creep Xavier is in issue 3 when he is privately lusting after Jean. They dropped that for a long time until Onslaught.
    That was clearly one of those "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" moments that early Marvel was so fond of. It always felt weird that they brought back up that single throw away line decades later.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That was clearly one of those "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" moments that early Marvel was so fond of. It always felt weird that they brought back up that single throw away line decades later.
    Chris Claremont also made one reference to it, early in his run (Uncanny X-Men # 101). I'm sure he didn't like the idea of Xavier even thinking he was in love with Jean, but I guess maybe he thought he had to address it for the readers who had read the early issues or their reprints.

Then it never was mentioned again until Mark Waid dusted it off for "Onslaught" as part of his attempt to show Jean the dark side of Xavier's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Chris Claremont also made one reference to it, early in his run (Uncanny X-Men # 101). I'm sure he didn't like the idea of Xavier even thinking he was in love with Jean, but I guess maybe he thought he had to address it for the readers who had read the early issues or their reprints.

Then it never was mentioned again until Mark Waid dusted it off for "Onslaught" as part of his attempt to show Jean the dark side of Xavier's mind.

This right here is the real reason Moira turned herself into an evil disco robot.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    What'd Warren get cut-off from his trust fund, lol?
    His parents were on yet another cruise.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricStrider1 View Post
    This issue sucked.
    The X-Men are trying to get to Europe but have no money, so they apply for welfare assistance.
    Jean, Scott, and Warren then try to get hired at a construction site, while Hank and Bobby put on a show in the park.
    You would think Xavier would have an emergency cash stash should the team need funds.
    Easily, Thomas's worst story yet.
    Ross Andru's art was downright lousy.
    Terrible issue!
    On to the next issue with more crappy Andru art.
    NOTE: According to the inflation calculator, $1500 in 1967 to fly to Europe would cost 13K today. Seems a bit steep even for first class, which I'm sure Warren insisted they travel.
    Airline deregulation didn’t come until the 1980’s. Flight prices dropped dramatically once Reagan won the presidency and instituted some changes.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    This right here is the real reason Moira turned herself into an evil disco robot.
    Moira seX > Moira X
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Airline deregulation didn’t come until the 1980’s. Flight prices dropped dramatically once Reagan won the presidency and instituted some changes.
    Thanks for that info!
    Makes sense now.

All-New Member

Default X-Men #37

The x-kids are in Europe and WWIII is eminent.
    Cliff-hanger ending.
    Still not liking the sketchy art.
    NOTE: The end of the original run is near as Origins of the X-Men debuts with ish 38 and a shortening of the main story.

The x-kids are in Europe and WWIII is eminent.
    Cliff-hanger ending.
    Still not liking the sketchy art.
    NOTE: The end of the original run is near as Origins of the X-Men debuts with ish 38 and a shortening of the main story.
    No, the original run goes thru issue 66. You are only at 37.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

BANNED

His parents were on yet another cruise.
    LOL
    I'd buy that. Poor Warren, even being beautiful & rich didn't help him much.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I was gonna say.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post

I was gonna say.
    Yeah, it may have been years and years since I read the run, but I knows me my OG X-Men!!

And by the way, the Origins back-up stories in the second half of the book only last for a few issues.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    You are correct!
    I meant to say that Thomas is no longer writing a full story and including origin stories, which could have been done earlier.

All-New Member

Default X-Men #38

Part 2 of the continuing Factor 3 story line.
    The X-kids are more confident and skilled.
    It was also nice to see Werner Roth's art back for the "Man Called X" short.

NOTE: Reading through this issue and reviewing the cover to issue #39 with the new costumes, it suddenly occurred to how much Roy Thomas is responsible for the development of the original X-Men mythology. How exciting it must have been for him as a young writer.

All-New Member

Default X-Men #39

The Factor Three story arc wraps up, and the X-kids get new unis.
    Cyclops' origin continues.
    Again, it is so cool read how Roy Thomas established so much of the X-Men's early mythology.
    I always thought it was Stan.
    On to issue 40 and. . .Frankenstein's Monster?

If Silver Age Marvel Girl fought Carrie White from Carrie, who would win?