Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Knights of X #3 Spoilers/Review

Ugh I'm trying to go through this one quickly cause I can't really see with the tears in my eyes.

We open with Saturnyne visiting Roma in her region. They're looking for Shogo who is curled up on the floor trying to hide (he can't, he's a giant dragon.) They know he's frightened but tell him with magic, a balance must be made. "There can be no joy without great suffering." They take him to a gazing pool and tell him he must watch one of his friends die. The poor guy is already crying.

As they activate the pool they can see Gambit's team fighting in the Crooked Market. A Fury blasts Meggan but she shakes it off, proclaiming Otherworld is her home and they can't defeat her. She whips up a giant tornado to surround the Fury and Rachel is circling it to amp it up. Meggan than launches the Fury tornado far into the distance back to Everforge where it came from. Bei is pleased, smirking.

Rachel has lost psychic connection with Betsy and wants to find her, but Gambit insists they stay and defend the townsfolk. As they bicker, the townsfolk are calling Rachel, "Askani! Askani!" Asking them why they call her that, they tell her it's from a story that told them the "Bright lady of flame" would come. Unsure of how to respond, Rachel is saved by the bell as the Furies and their green soldiers return with Mad Jim gagged and quartered, preparing to execute him in front of the people. Gambit makes the final call that they're staying because he we will not allow the mutants of the market to witness the death of Mad Jim while the Knights do nothing.

The preview pages in Sevalith as Betsy and her team are sneaking through the realm. They take out the vampires and continue on to meet with Death. King Arthur and their team are not far behind. They reach the palace where Death is held "prisoner" (his punishment for losing to Storm in X of Swords). They free him and ask him to join them, but he's been rather enjoying his time with dead vampires and declines.

Rictor has Apocalypse's Grimoire and asks Death if he can help translate it. Death opens it and can easily interpret what Doug was unable to. Flashback: We see Mr. Absolon Mercator looking over a desolate realm. He is speaking with someone and asking them why he is being offered an entire realm while Xavier is inviting everyone to Krakoa. As one of the most powerful mutants, Apocalypse offers him the realm in exchange for protecting the Siege Perilous. Apocalypse explains its importance. "With it, one can make and unmake our very souls. The time will come when that needs doing - when the GREAT SACRIFICE is made. Open your realm to us then - no sooner." Mercator agrees.

Betsy's team is resting in the sewers of Sevalith. We get a beautiful, quiet moment between Rictor and Shatterstar. They now understand that a sacrifice is needed and Julio thinks it should be him. Shatterstar says losing Julio would be his own sacrifice and that he is simply not willing, and they embrace.

Now that it's daylight the psychic connection between Betsy and Rachel is restored. Modred wants to continue to find the Siege Perilous but Betsy points her finger at him and says they're going to the market. With Bei as an anchor, Shatterstar teleports them to the market and the team is reunited.

Betsy tasks Gambit, Meggan, and Kylun with rescuing Mad Jim while the others hold off the forces. Betsy and Rachel have a quiet moment before Rachel takes to the sky to watch over Gambit's group. The townsfolk strangely start attacking Mordred and Rachel has the epiphany that this may be Mordred's mutant power. "Do people want to fight him?! Keep it up, kid - it's keeping the crowd safe." I guess that's one way to perform crowd control. LOL!

Gambit, Meggan, and Kylun approach Mad Jim when Rachel suddenly warns them to abandon Jim and get out of there. Merlyn appears.
    Gambit, the consummate hero, heads straight for him, pulling out the Death card.

The final three pages...

I cried with Shogo and the data page added to the emotional moment for me and caught me completely by surprise. The good news is that Apocalypse predicted and planned for this, and they're heading to Mercator next. Now I'm biting my nails to see if/how Gambit returns and what form/state he returns in.
    Last edited by JB; 06-22-2022 at 06:09 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

The lack of Hellion had me crying.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    The lack of Hellion had me crying.
    I say we toss him into the Siege Perilous and perhaps he will no longer be invisible to the X-Office!

Have to post this page because I was not at all expecting it. Apocalypse is the godfather of mutantdom.

Yes, Howard's dialogue usually makes my eyes roll out of my head but I'm a big fan of her ideas from a 40,000 foot view. Though the details are often rough to put it nicely, conceptually I'm fully onboard.
    I'd like to see Merlyn, Arthur and their gang of losers step foot into Mercator. The ultimate @%&! around and find out.

EDIT: Rogue says something interesting in this week's X-Men that I wonder if it's connected.
    Last edited by JB; 06-22-2022 at 06:45 AM.

0/10....

Another book that I will abandon, WTF.
    why ruin Remy,..... they hate him so much they want to bring him in as someone else????

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    0/10....

Another book that I will abandon, WTF.
    why ruin Remy,..... they hate him so much they want to bring him in as someone else????
    Well the Siege Perilous didn't really change the other X-Men last time they went through, just gave them temporary amnesia... but with Apocalypse involved and Remy previously being Death, who knows.

Pouring one out for the Gambit fans! He's definitely coming back in some form because Marvel would be SICK to tease us with his fine Hellfire Gala outfit and not deliver.

Also not a huge fan of Tini's insistence to have one character (in this case Rachel) screaming Betsy's name for the whole damn issue. Otherwise I still find this book an improvement to Excalibur.

Sidenote: Comixology really seems to think this is a 5-issue mini. Has that been confirmed by Marvel yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Pouring one out for the Gambit fans! He's definitely coming back in some form because Marvel would be SICK to tease us with his fine Hellfire Gala outfit and not deliver.

Also not a huge fan of Tini's insistence to have one character (in this case Rachel) screaming Betsy's name for the whole damn issue. Otherwise I still find this book an improvement to Excalibur.

Sidenote: Comixology really seems to think this is a 5-issue mini. Has that been confirmed by Marvel yet?
    It's interesting because they reach Mercator next issue and the solicit for #5 sounds like the war with Merlyn comes to a head. And there wasn't a solicit for #6 on the September list.

Also, spoilers:
    Rogue's comment in today's X-Men about Irene's task sounds very much related to the Siege Perilous, so perhaps this all gets moved over to Judgment Day. Funny enough, Gillen had Howard on his podcast a few months back and he made a comment about his story being intertwined with hers or something like that.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post

I'm tired y'all. I'm tired of having my favorite character being trapped in this book and written badly for nearly three years now only to kill him off and most likely mess him up.

When Marvel puts him into a new writers hands again, I'll be back. No more Tini.

Astonishing Member

Under other circumstances i would highly expect this to be a fake out. But given the current mentality in the X-office towards physicaly killing any character they can and the quality of this writer's output, it's much more likely he did died here and then comes back altered, problematic, or eve just the same he was with no lasting impact for the character.

The only thing truely lost here is Gambit's spot in the lottery of "X-men who managed to survive the Krakoa era without getting randomly killed".

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    I'm tired y'all. I'm tired of having my favorite character being trapped in this book and written badly for nearly three years now only to kill him off and most likely mess him up.

When Marvel puts him into a new writers hands again, I'll be back. No more Tini.
    My heart skipped a beat when Julio said he'd sacrifice himself but I was more than willing to take the hit for Remy fans, for real.

Tini's worldbuilding is great. The bits with Mercator are interesting. Unfortunately, that's all there is. Her character development, dialogue, pacing are horrid to non-existent. Rachel's selfish ass wanting to abandon the civilians just to get back to Betsy was so dumb.
    Last edited by Luckystar.; 06-22-2022 at 07:54 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Ugh I'm trying to go through this one quickly cause I can't really see with the tears in my eyes.

We open with Saturnyne visiting Roma in her region. They're looking for Shogo who is curled up on the floor trying to hide (he can't, he's a giant dragon.) They know he's frightened but tell him with magic, a balance must be made. "There can be no joy without great suffering." They take him to a gazing pool and tell him he must watch one of his friends die. The poor guy is already crying.

As they activate the pool they can see Gambit's team fighting in the Crooked Market. A Fury blasts Meggan but she shakes it off, proclaiming Otherworld is her home and they can't defeat her. She whips up a giant tornado to surround the Fury and Rachel is circling it to amp it up. Meggan than launches the Fury tornado far into the distance back to Everforge where it came from. Bei is pleased, smirking.

Rachel has lost psychic connection with Betsy and wants to find her, but Gambit insists they stay and defend the townsfolk. As they bicker, the townsfolk are calling Rachel, "Askani! Askani!" Asking them why they call her that, they tell her it's from a story that told them the "Bright lady of flame" would come. Unsure of how to respond, Rachel is saved by the bell as the Furies and their green soldiers return with Mad Jim gagged and quartered, preparing to execute him in front of the people. Gambit makes the final call that they're staying because he we will not allow the mutants of the market to witness the death of Mad Jim while the Knights do nothing.

The preview pages in Sevalith as Betsy and her team are sneaking through the realm. They take out the vampires and continue on to meet with Death. King Arthur and their team are not far behind. They reach the palace where Death is held "prisoner" (his punishment for losing to Storm in X of Swords). They free him and ask him to join them, but he's been rather enjoying his time with dead vampires and declines.

Rictor has Apocalypse's Grimoire and asks Death if he can help translate it. Death opens it and can easily interpret what Doug was unable to. Flashback: We see Mr. Absolon Mercator looking over a desolate realm. He is speaking with someone and asking them why he is being offered an entire realm while Xavier is inviting everyone to Krakoa. As one of the most powerful mutants, Apocalypse offers him the realm in exchange for protecting the Siege Perilous. Apocalypse explains its importance. "With it, one can make and unmake our very souls. The time will come when that needs doing - when the GREAT SACRIFICE is made. Open your realm to us then - no sooner." Mercator agrees.

Betsy's team is resting in the sewers of Sevalith. We get a beautiful, quiet moment between Rictor and Shatterstar. They now understand that a sacrifice is needed and Julio thinks it should be him. Shatterstar says losing Julio would be his own sacrifice and that he is simply not willing, and they embrace.

Now that it's daylight the psychic connection between Betsy and Rachel is restored. Modred wants to continue to find the Siege Perilous but Betsy points her finger at him and says they're going to the market. With Bei as an anchor, Shatterstar teleports them to the market and the team is reunited.

Betsy tasks Gambit, Meggan, and Kylun with rescuing Mad Jim while the others hold off the forces. Betsy and Rachel have a quiet moment before Rachel takes to the sky to watch over Gambit's group. The townsfolk strangely start attacking Mordred and Rachel has the epiphany that this may be Mordred's mutant power. "Do people want to fight him?! Keep it up, kid - it's keeping the crowd safe." I guess that's one way to perform crowd control. LOL!

Gambit, Meggan, and Kylun approach Mad Jim when Rachel suddenly warns them to abandon Jim and get out of there. Merlyn appears.
    Gambit, the consummate hero, heads straight for him, pulling out the Death card.

The final three pages...

I cried with Shogo and the data page added to the emotional moment for me and caught me completely by surprise. The good news is that Apocalypse predicted and planned for this, and they're heading to Mercator next. Now I'm biting my nails to see if/how Gambit returns and what form/state he returns in.
    I bet a blind Death Gambit emerges from the rubble. That line about being death is to coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    My heart skipped a beat when Julio said he'd sacrifice himself but I was more than willing to take the hit for Remy fans, for real.
    Thanks, I appreciate that.

I honestly don't even care about Remy being killed since he at least got to be heroic, but I do not trust Tini to do right by my boy and I just don't want to have to deal with her any more.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate that.

I honestly don't even care about Remy being killed since he at least got to be heroic, but I do not trust Tini to do right by my boy and I just don't want to have to deal with her any more.
    Kingdom X bringing up that the series is still showing as 5 parts on Comixology is making me think it may indeed be true. The death of Gambit seemed way too obvious to stick and next issue they're already in Mercator. Then we have Rogue's comment about Irene and anything relating to Irene should be handled by Gillen. I'm placing bets now that KoX ends at #5 and the Siege is utilized in Judgment Day, which I believe someone (BobbysWorld?) predicted not too long ago.

Gambit blowing himself because he doesn't know how to explode cards right... well, that's par for the course. Death by incompetence is a fitting tragedy for this character.

Honestly, there's so little emotional connection with this particular rendition of Gambit, it's all kinda meh. Perhaps in the end, the writer finally grasped Gambit's defining characteristics: Loyalty, Patience and Selflessness. But no, I'm giving her too much credit.

Because she opened the KoX with writing: Gambit got fed up waiting around for his wife to come home for dinner and went off on a pity-party quest. According to the Grimoire, Gambit was a "bad" Death, because he was not patient and its was pretty clear ~A~ didn't love Gambit like he loves his other Horse-children of the Apocalypse.

So who's doing the sacrificing here? Gambit didn't sacrifice himself, he died on accident. It sounds like the sacrifice is on Shogo's part, because he is so hurt over Gambit's death. What??? Does Shogo (or anyone else in the cast) even LIKE Gambit? This is the GREAT SACRIFICE? And he dies for what, to make Shogo sad? Obviously, Merlyn is still alive so Gambit has saved absolutely no one.

Remy's selflessness is evidenced while standing up for the people, trying to save a man who previously threatened and humiliated him. That act is true to Gambit's character, but the author writes it like Gambit just discovered this quality about himself by being generous with his PopTarts. As Howard said in her AIPT interview, she considers this "character growth." I'm sorry, setting him back 20 years so he can make one baby step forward is not growth, it's deformity.

Hopeful for change for this book, the character, and that future development is handled by someone else entirely. I suppose Jaspers could easily resurrect Gambit in gratitude. However Gambit is returned, it will be with the lackluster delivery I've come to expect from this book.