Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This issue is worth buying just to see Magik give demons the finger and tell them to get bent.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I really enjoyed this. I liked seeing the fallout of Yana having her soulsword shattered and dealing with that trauma. I loved the data page that explained why Maddie is being chosen to take over Limbo. The best thing about Ayala's writing to me is that they are very good at making a story feel emotionally impactful and meaningful. While I like the flashback stories at the end of these recent issues, they don't really feel connected to the main narrative right now. Reis' art is amazing, as usual.

First and foremost, this issue is gorgeous. Rod Ries's art is a remarkable blending of familiar/nostalgic vibe (there is so much flavor in it that harkens back to the Sienkiewicz work that so many long time New Mutant lovers imprinted on) and contemporary aesthetic (the application of texture and graphic design elements weaved into the figures and atmospheres they inhabit is a very NOW aesthetic).

I enjoy a data page as much as the next Hox/Pox enthusiast, but I was stunned by how much I appreciated the delicate and deliberate and purposeful handling of the documented exchange between Illyana and Madelyne. I've read that page alone a few times now and I'm just so appreciative of the care and consideration put into how Illyana said what she said. It was beautiful.

Illyana has been my favorite X-person for many years and her continued rise in popularity, and the accessibility it grants her for inclusion throughout and beyond the X-titles isn't something I've particularly warmed to (the Wolverine affect). I adore Illyana but the inconsistency of her character from writer to writer since having returned to publication back in the Quest for Magik has been a challenging with so many voices providing their interpretation (or in some cases, caricaturization) and when the preview for this issue came out, I found myself looking at "Old Man " gimmick and thinking "oh no".
    After reading this issue, I can't say with full confidence that I was won over by the OMG (old man gimmick) and despite my adoration for Illyana proper, and my love for focus ON her, I'd have preferred more attention paid to the dynamics at play between what I'd believed was the intended core cast of this plot (Dani, Rhane, Madelyne and Yana) but there ARE still 2(?) issues left in the arc to look forward to.

My guy Kingdom X spoke truth to power about the enjoyment of Madelyne;s arc here. Its challenging at the moment to feel invested, with the knowledge of Zeb Wells' story teased in the free comic book day issue(Don't get me wrong, that man is gold and I will forever love him for his prior New Mutants and Hellions work).

The subplot(?) I'm most curious about now is the arrival of Beardlossus/Brolossus and how he may be tied to the 3rd "labor" issue. Speaking of Labors, if the next and 3rd issue is "The Third Labor" and this 2nd issue's labor was essentially teaming up with Elder Yana and defeating S'ym, is the 1st labor contract negotiations and/or losing the soulsword?

Fantastic Member

So Old Illyana is this version of Magik, but where there was no Old Illyana and they fought demons in Limbo. Sounds like she never left Limbo. So how did the TO virus get these demons, why aren't they a bigger threat to Limbo, and why are there two Syms? It resembles a time travel situation, but without the time travel. It parallels the Cat and Storm from the Magik series, but then confuses it with the TO demons.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    So Old Illyana is this version of Magik, but where there was no Old Illyana and they fought demons in Limbo. Sounds like she never left Limbo. So how did the TO virus get these demons, why aren't they a bigger threat to Limbo, and why are there two Syms? It resembles a time travel situation, but without the time travel. It parallels the Cat and Storm from the Magik series, but then confuses it with the TO demons.
    No,what's taking place is more of an alternate timeline,sort of like "Days of Future Past". mostly seen from from the perspective of the elder Illyana.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    In a way, this issue (and this arc as a whole) feels like a response to some of the criticisms to the last arc. The Shadow King story was sort of a mega arc that developed several other characters and consistently had B and C plots going on, but due to that it took a whiiiiile to wrap up. Here Ayala has shortened the story they’re trying to tell by significantly shrinking the cast and only focusing on Magik’s (and to a lesser degree Madelyne’s) character arc.

I personally still enjoyed the issue, but the future of this book and these characters do worry me. I think I’d be fine with an arc that only develops Magik if I knew we’d be getting back to other cast members and some of their plots that we started before this. I also can’t get that excited about the Madelyne development because Wells is about to reclaim her for what seems like a purely villainous role.
    Give what Vita just stated about the magic involved in these pages, If Wells actually tries something like that, it's basically going to fall on it's face.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 06-23-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    First and foremost, this issue is gorgeous. Rod Ries's art is a remarkable blending of familiar/nostalgic vibe (there is so much flavor in it that harkens back to the Sienkiewicz work that so many long time New Mutant lovers imprinted on) and contemporary aesthetic (the application of texture and graphic design elements weaved into the figures and atmospheres they inhabit is a very NOW aesthetic).

I enjoy a data page as much as the next Hox/Pox enthusiast, but I was stunned by how much I appreciated the delicate and deliberate and purposeful handling of the documented exchange between Illyana and Madelyne. I've read that page alone a few times now and I'm just so appreciative of the care and consideration put into how Illyana said what she said. It was beautiful.

Illyana has been my favorite X-person for many years and her continued rise in popularity, and the accessibility it grants her for inclusion throughout and beyond the X-titles isn't something I've particularly warmed to (the Wolverine affect). I adore Illyana but the inconsistency of her character from writer to writer since having returned to publication back in the Quest for Magik has been a challenging with so many voices providing their interpretation (or in some cases, caricaturization) and when the preview for this issue came out, I found myself looking at "Old Man " gimmick and thinking "oh no".
    After reading this issue, I can't say with full confidence that I was won over by the OMG (old man gimmick) and despite my adoration for Illyana proper, and my love for focus ON her, I'd have preferred more attention paid to the dynamics at play between what I'd believed was the intended core cast of this plot (Dani, Rhane, Madelyne and Yana) but there ARE still 2(?) issues left in the arc to look forward to.

My guy Kingdom X spoke truth to power about the enjoyment of Madelyne;s arc here. Its challenging at the moment to feel invested, with the knowledge of Zeb Wells' story teased in the free comic book day issue(Don't get me wrong, that man is gold and I will forever love him for his prior New Mutants and Hellions work).

The subplot(?) I'm most curious about now is the arrival of Beardlossus/Brolossus and how he may be tied to the 3rd "labor" issue. Speaking of Labors, if the next and 3rd issue is "The Third Labor" and this 2nd issue's labor was essentially teaming up with Elder Yana and defeating S'ym, is the 1st labor contract negotiations and/or losing the soulsword?
    Personally I like the twist of the knife Vita gave to everyone who thought this storyline was going to be some grand battle between Madelyne and Illyana for control of Limbo rather that creating a sitution where both can step back and take some time to further heal from their wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Personally I like the twist of the knife Vita gave to everyone who thought this storyline was going to be some grand battle between Madelyne and Illyana for control of Limbo rather that creating a sitution where both can step back and take some time to further heal from their wounds.
    Plot twist: I share your appreciation for the bait & switch.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    These past two issues have been so much better than the previous ones. I couldn’t figure out why they were making a big deal about the demons having the transmode virus. Hasn’t that been a thing since Inferno?
    Amanda Sefton purged Limbo of the techno organic virus.

Older Illyana could not do as her power of Limbo was broken when her soulsword was broken.

I've enjoyed the art and the angle of Maddie and Illyana trying to empower themselves by moving away from the things that they're in toxic relationships with (Limbo, anything Summers-related).
    Having said that...
    As much as I'd like Maddie to move on, making her the regent of Limbo is an insane idea no matter how many arcane fail-safes Magik writes in blood. How long before Maddie finds a loophole and transports Krakoa to Limbo to torment anyone named Summers, Grey, or Essex? Has she shown any real change in attitude besides not openly attacking anyone post-resurrection? Illyana may see herself reflected in Maddie but that doesn't mean Maddie's reformed and deserves to be queen of Hell. There's a reason there are so many phantom Maddies running around Limbo. Give Limbo to Amanda Sefton again! Give it to Clea! Maddie is a ticking time bomb, and I'm still not sure exactly how Maddie getting control of a demon dimension is going to help her be free. Sinister isn't bothering her. The Summers and Greys are wisely leaving her alone. She can do whatever she wants now. Why rule Limbo apart from getting power to use against her enemies, enemies who really don't give a damn about her anymore?
    Last edited by nx01a; 06-23-2022 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I've enjoyed the art and the angle of Maddie and Illyana trying to empower themselves by moving away from the things that they're in toxic relationships with (Limbo, anything Summers-related).
    Having said that...
    As much as I'd like Maddie to move on, making her the regent of Limbo is an insane idea no matter how many arcane fail-safes Magik writes in blood. How long before Maddie finds a loophole and transports Krakoa to Limbo to torment anyone named Summers, Grey, or Essex? Has she shown any real change in attitude besides not openly attacking anyone post-resurrection? Illyana may see herself reflected in Maddie but that doesn't mean Maddie's reformed and deserves to be queen of Hell. There's a reason there are so many phantom Maddies running around Limbo. Give Limbo to Amanda Sefton again! Give it to Clea! Maddie is a ticking time bomb.
    There's an old saying: the only way to know if you can trust someone is to actually trust them.

Like, Dani and Rahne are right there, expressing the cynicism and caution a lot of people agree is the right approach with Maddie, so its not like the story is oblivious to it. Illyana just happens to be taking the stance that if amnesty doesn't actually mean a second chance for everyone, while people like Sinister get to benefit from it, then its rooted in hypocrisy and doesn't mean shit.

And I do think its perfectly reasonable that of all people, Illyana wants to believe in redemption and second chances.

Illyana is definitely someone who should believe in mercy and second chances but she's also the person who knew that others couldn't and shouldn't trust her because of her past behaviour (the bomb around her neck, being confined to the X-Brig). She proved she'd changed and that she could be trusted... then Colossus-Cyttorak happened. Magik is crafty and devious. She should also know some people can't be trusted, especially not with godlike power.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Damn my lcbs didn’t even get this.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Illyana is definitely someone who should believe in mercy and second chances but she's also the person who knew that others couldn't and shouldn't trust her because of her past behaviour (the bomb around her neck, being confined to the X-Brig). She proved she'd changed and that she could be trusted... then Colossus-Cyttorak happened. Magik is crafty and devious. She should also know some people can't be trusted, especially not with godlike power.
    Well,IlIyana knows Storm can't.........

BANNED

When Illyana was resurrected by Belasco, she was totally the Darkchilde and evil. She basically had no regrets of stealing Pixie’s soul until she got her soulsword and part of her own sword back. She was willing to risk the lives of the XMem to ensure she destroyed the Elder gods.

In short Illyana has been vindictive evil but she grew out of it. Let’s not forget what she did to her brother Colossus, yet as time grew by she felt genuine guilt and moved on.

So if she can move on and grow, so can Madelyne Pryor.

Mystique has tried to kill the XMen how many time and has a trusted seat on the council? Ditto Exodus, Sinister, etc. So it’s nice to see Madelyne become sorceress supreme of Limbo and be put in a position other than scorned wife. In other words, she’s moved on and has other things going for her.

Also since her resutshe accepted the invitation to stay in Krakoa and has not attacked anyone, even Sinister. She just wanted nothing to do with the Summers.