Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

I am very critical about a lot of stuff from the Krakoa Era, but I will give Marvel this: They have made a good job giving depth to the villains... I mean, I expected Dr. Stasis to be some generic racist mad scientist, and when I learned he is a Sinister I thought "this is even worse!", but now I think they have made a good job creating him... he is still a villain, but he seems to have his reasons, both ideological (probably something along the lines of "Mutation is disease, and mutants are purposely spreading it and preventing attempts to cure it!") and personal ("they have that insane rogue clone who is a threat to all life on Earth in their Quiet Council!").

Feilong is pissed because they took from him his reason to live, and because mutants have taken the stars from Humanity; Dr. Alia Gregor hates them because her husband's two deaths; Nimrod hates them because they took his humanity from him; Omega Sentinel is an agent of the machines from the future; Killian Devo thinks he comes from future when mutants have enslaved humans; Moira feels betrayed...

In a way, their motivations feel more human than the heroes'...
    Last edited by Habis; 06-22-2022 at 05:01 PM.

A short message from Pepe Larraz from his Instagram.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CfH3CBKscV-/

"It was super nice from Gerry to include a scene happening in my hometown, Madrid, on this final issue of our X-Men run. It felt quite symbolic and special for me.
    I choose the Callao Square as a location because it is a landmark for everyone who visits Madrid of course, but for me it is near all the comic book shops, the Art School I attended at and the Comic Book academy on which I got my first paid job (as a teacher!!!). That place brings memories of when I was just a boy dreaming with drawing the X-Men one day.
    Thank you @digduggan , and thanks to all of you for making it possible.
    Colors by my hermano @martegraciacolor
    ( We had to remove the popular Schweppes ad on the printed version because of copyright, of course, but here you can see it)."
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Great stuff!

This series continously has stuffed issues where a lot happens but it flows naturally, Duggan comes through with a solid issue. Tied up and started several new plots, gave every character a moment to shine or personal and clear direction following the issue. Jean was brilliant usual, I've never liked Cyclops more he's my hero, Dr. Polaris remains a breakout star of this series, Synch is the X-men for me he feels so nostalgic and natural, I look forward to continuing to see him on the main teams.

As much maligned at times this series gets for characterization these 12 issues have been some of the more cohesive in years, balancing the series plots and themes. Plus, pushing the overall narrative of the X-men line, Red and Immortal are brilliant but this series feels like it's supposed to be the flagship of the line. Several plots have bounced from and through this series casually. The main team have consisted been used primarily as the X-men team of Earth, and involved directly in more Earth based superheroics.

I didn't feel Rogue was long for this series, but I do think the series did a great job setting up future plots for her, and consistently used her respectful if not always getting a ton of focus. I want Sunfire in Red! Look forward to see where Laura lands.

Hopefully with the the RP revealed which honestly I personally don't mind them. The X-men can nuke Orchis for continually killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    So Lorna is leaving for literally NO reason? that's sad, I really enjoyed her in this book
    I would agree that Duggan's run was a good depiction of Lorna. Giving her back even a little of her edge went a long way and the princess persona worked.

Though I will agree with your comment and say the weakest part of his depiction of Lorna and one of the big things that kept it from greatness is we never knew her worldview (on mutants or humans) or reasons for joining or now leaving.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-22-2022 at 05:27 PM.

.... also what was Jean's telepathic illusion of Polaris doing to Rogue? I thought she was either throwing her, or creating a wormhole/miniature blackhole?!?!?!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Im declaring this the stupidest decision Scott has ever made.
    Even dumber than merging with Phoenix, Killing Xavier, and starting a war with Inhumans?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Even dumber than merging with Phoenix, Killing Xavier, and starting a war with Inhumans?
    The first wasn't his decision, the second he wasn't in control of himself, and the third he didn't do at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    he def didn't do that he was in heaven with Charles
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The first wasn't his decision, the second he wasn't in control of himself, and the third he didn't do at all.
    True, the war with the Inhumans was a psychic illusion of Cyclops conjured by Emma, as part of her character assassination narrative that even editorial wants to pretend never happened.
    Dark does not mean deep.

The Red Dragon

I posted this in the Jean thread…while what Jean did wasnt the most bombastic showing, it’s sheer number and scope is impressive. A single mushroom can produce a billion to a trillion spores. Take into account Cordycep’s size and he’s probably producing hundreds to thousands of trillions of microscopic spores that Jean had to sense and remove from the individuals without injuring their lungs and other body parts. All while slipping past the psi alarms and putting up an illusion.

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    .... also what was Jean's telepathic illusion of Polaris doing to Rogue? I thought she was either throwing her, or creating a wormhole/miniature blackhole?!?!?!
    I thought it was Jean making Cordyceps think that rogue got crushed by Polaris hence the blood red.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    A short message from Pepe Larraz from his Instagram.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CfH3CBKscV-/

"It was super nice from Gerry to include a scene happening in my hometown, Madrid, on this final issue of our X-Men run. It felt quite symbolic and special for me.
    I choose the Callao Square as a location because it is a landmark for everyone who visits Madrid of course, but for me it is near all the comic book shops, the Art School I attended at and the Comic Book academy on which I got my first paid job (as a teacher!!!). That place brings memories of when I was just a boy dreaming with drawing the X-Men one day.
    Thank you @digduggan , and thanks to all of you for making it possible.
    Colors by my hermano @martegraciacolor
    ( We had to remove the popular Schweppes ad on the printed version because of copyright, of course, but here you can see it)."
    That's very sweet; for his art alone I wanna pick up the OHC it makes a great post script to Inferno and Hickman's run in general i.e. life goes on and Sinister is still a major pain in the ass

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I am very critical about a lot of stuff from the Krakoa Era, but I will give Marvel this: They have made a good job giving depth to the villains... I mean, I expected Dr. Stasis to be some generic racist mad scientist, and when I learned he is a Sinister I thought "this is even worse!", but now I think they have made a good job creating him... he is still a villain, but he seems to have his reasons, both ideological (probably something along the lines of "Mutation is disease, and mutants are purposely spreading it and preventing attempts to cure it!") and personal ("they have that insane rogue clone who is a threat to all life on Earth in their Quiet Council!").

Feilong is pissed because they took from him his reason to live, and because mutants have taken the stars from Humanity; Dr. Alia Gregor hates them because her husband's two deaths; Nimrod hates them because they took his humanity from him; Omega Sentinel is an agent of the machines from the future; Killian Devo thinks he comes from future when mutants have enslaved humans; Moira feels betrayed...

In a way, their motivations feel more human than the heroes'...
    I don't really agree with orchis:

-stasis is really a mad scientist who thinks that mutants are diseases to be exterminated and who blames his problems on mutants, have already seen his villain profile several times in the x-men series.

-feilong wants to exterminate mutants just because they went to mars before him wtf! one of the most ridiculous x-men villains starring cameron hodge

-alia gregor a racist anti-mutant generic AIM scientist moreover, she already wanted to exterminate mutants long before the death of her husband.

-dr devo a simple indoctrinated puppet he will surely be killed by karima.

-karima programmed to kill mutants, his hatred of humans makes more sense given that they captured him and turned him into a machine against his will.

-nimrod even if he is smarter than humans think, he's still like karima a machine programmed to kill mutants

-juda traveler just a crazy guy lol.

And the last two most important and incoherent of all
    -moira who after being killed for at least 8 lives by the machines decides to join them without a grudge against them to help them kill mutants who were her friends just because mystic and destiny tortured her, we don't know why she feels betrayed when no one betrayed her it is rather she who betrayed krakoa even if I can understand that she is broken by dint of seeing the mutants lose.
    Everything has already been said about moira, completely ruined by percy, she's just a joke at each of her appearances and would have a place in x-men green with nature girl unless kieron gillen saves her in immortal x-men .

- Abigail brand commander of the sword and mutant consider as heroine/anti-heroine who has been protecting the galaxy for years and has saved the earth with the mutants countless times, who after having slapped captain marvel and resigned from alpha flight because thousands of innocent people died in empyre aftermath because of the avengers joining the sword krakoa and who came out of nowhere like moira betrayed the mutants for orchis and helped them kill innocent mutants and destroy krakoa without any explanation, want the sol system and to think that krakoa is not ready for the galactic level does not justify his behavior change, his contempt and his pleasure in manipulating and hurting mutants which again comes out of nowhere and makes no sense and I'm not talking about the attempted murder on xandra, the fall of the space station and the progenitors on the arakki...
    she uses orchids and logically should sabotage them from the inside (I hope otherwise wtf) but helping anti-mutants who also want to kill her is ridiculous and inchorent for someone pragmatic as brand.

Apart from bad writing by ewing, I don't know what happens between the end of aftermath and that betrayal in sword 11 so that she becomes a generic villain of the 90s who makes evil smiles (especially in x-men red 3 what a caricature), dangerously close to the ridiculousness of feilong and cameron hodge... to see how it will end for her I hope she will be recoverable.

When the only orchid villain the best work are two machines programmed to kill it's that there is a problem somewhere, then I only have a problem with moira and abigail the others are generic but they've been villains since the beginning I'm not surprised even if I would have preferred better.

Great issue!
    >Wonderful art as usual. No more Pepe on this book?! :'( At least the other artists he's rotated with have been solid.
    >Club Sinister is driven to destroy mutants because of a mutated/mutant child? Hmm.
    >Jean and the ladies really kicked ass. I loved their mutant circuit aka what the old timers used to call 'team work'.
    >Lots of species will now be thanking the X-Men (and Jean in particular) for saving them. Very savvy politics and a perfect way to balance the universe immediately thinking of Jean as genocidal.
    >I missed Rogue kissing people to copy their powers. ^_^
    >Who're we getting to replace Sunfire, Rogue, and Polaris? Iceman, PeMance, and (ugh) Firestar? I can live with Firestar for 12 issues if only for the inevitable obligatory Amazing Friends-inspired appearance by Spider-Man.
    >Of course you're staying, Laura. There must be a Wolverine.
    >If ORCHIS knows about the Protocols, they'll surely weaponize that knowledge. I agree that getting ahead of it was necessary but maybe Cyke should have warned the QC that he felt it imperative to do so.
    >Essex County. *giggles*
    >I really wish Synch's aura would be full on Acid Trip Pride Month Rainbow again.

Bring on Year 2!

Favourite panels...
    x1.jpg
    x2.jpg
    x3.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I thought it was Jean making Cordyceps think that rogue got crushed by Polaris hence the blood red.
    That makes a lot more sense, definitely gruesome on Jean's part!