Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men #12 Spoilers/Review Thread

Dr. Stasis' Lair. Scott pummels Stasis and destroys the glass chamber containing his clothing, which Stasis had stolen. Afterward, Scott tells Stasis, "I'm going to walk to Krakoa and dunk your puppet master into the volcano."

Stasis is seemingly confused and annoyed, telling Scott he has had "many names over time," but "there's only one Dr. Nathaniel Essex—and he stands before you!" He admits he's "been right here since I arrived from England and helped found this place." He then threatens to "detonate the explosives [he's] hidden around the town above" if Scott doesn't release him.

Everett arrives, Scott asks him if Stasis is bluffing, and just as Everett screams, "No," there's a massive explosion, which brings the subway ceiling down around and traps them. Stasis escapes, telling Scott, "I'm not some genocidal monster. I'm a doctor, and the only planet I have has been made very ill by you mutants. If you want some advice: You took one world. Keep going. If you have any destiny at all—it's out there. Earth belongs to humanity." As Stasis walks away, Scott warns him, "Watch your backs, Essex...all of them."

Scott and Everett escape through a sewage hole, and Scott asks Everett if he can still use Laura's abilities, which he synced with before, to find the remaining bombs throughout the town. He can.

Stasis' Home. Stasis arrives at his home and instructs it to "Burn" itself. It does. Just as he leaves, he grabs a photograph depicting a malformed child. He says to the child in the picture, "I'll fix what's broken in you...after I cut the cancer out of this world."

Gameworld. Jean is seemingly in the process of getting attacked and stabbed by Laura, as Cordyceps Jones looks on and cheers. However, we learn "the attack had begun the moment they arrived, and it centered on Jean Grey being able to move the most objects she'd ever moved at once," referring to Jones' fungal spores. As Rogue attempts to stop and is attacked by Laura, and Lorna encases Rogue in a magnetic field, we also learn that Jean has been telepathically projecting all of this into Jones' mind. Finally, Jones catches on, noting, "Aw crud. That redheaded dame is just showing me what I wanna see, ain't she?... I can hear the psi-alarms now."

Jean realizes Jones has been alerted to her illusions, noting, "I still have work to do." "Want a hand, Red," Rogue asks, and Jean accepts, telling her, "You can help ensure we get every last spore." Rogue responds, "You know what they say...two Omegas are better than one," before kissing Jean on the cheek and absorbing a fraction of her telekinesis. As Rogue helps Jean collect the spores, she notes, "Damn, Jean, I didn't know your TK could grab something as small as spores." Jean responds, "No object is too big or heavy to lift, nor too small to grasp. You just have to feel it." The spores are expelled from Laura, and Jean and Rogue continue collecting the spores from others before Lorna sweeps in to help gather them in a magnetic field.

Cordyceps Jones is confused and attempts to fight back, but Laura grabs him from behind and threatens him, saying, "Let them do their thing, or I get to do mine, and your day will get even worse.” She then screams, "Let's throw him into one of the black holes and hit the buffet," as she flings Jones into Lorna's magnetic field. "No need for that kind of rough talk," Jones responds before telling Lorna, "Plus...maybe I can squeeze through your fancy bubble." She assures him, "Dr. Polaris says: Only thing that can escape my bubble is light, and your spores are much bigger than that." As this is happening, Rogue asks Jean, "Prison?" Jean agrees: "Prison." Lorna proceeds to use the surrounding metal to wrap Jones in a makeshift prison.

Rogue puts her arms around Laura and Jean and notes, "Y'all didn't just save Earth...every table over there is a different world that was a game. There are billions of souls on each of those worlds. I remember what you said at the Gala, Jean. You wanted to be an X-Man until you saved as many lives as the Phoenix claimed. Well, you just saved trillions." "We did," Jean corrects her, noting, "And back at the Gala, you said, 'Nobody's saving nothin' without me!' You were right."

Jean proceeds to send out the following telepathic message: "To the high rollers of Gameworld without Galactic Council arrest warrants: You are free to leave, so long as you convoy every captive who wants off Gameworld." She then yells, "The rest of you are free," before continuing, "Those of you who remain have no master. This place belongs to you now, and as long as you seek no harm to defenseless worlds, you can call the X-Men of Earth your friends!"

Shaefer's Diner. New York City. Scott, Everett, and the journalist Urich are in deep discussion. Scott tells him, "I'm willing to go on record," before revealing that "mutantdom has solved death." Urich asks, "You took the story from me...why return it to me now?" Scott responds, "If we don't stand for the truth, then we're just another council, and the world has enough of those." Everett also admits, "I took your memory of the story to protect my people. I...was afraid. My friend was dead, and I was scared of what else I could lose. He offers to give Urich back his memories using Jean's telepathy, which he is still synced with, but Urich refuses the offer, telling him, "I have to keep my perspective on this moment. It can't be your interpretation over mine." "The truth is worth fighting for," Scott says, and Everett adds, "And dying for." As Urich stands to leave, he notes, "I"m gonna quote you on that," before admitting, "It might be hard on you all for a while." "Yeah, it will," Scott says, and Everett chimes in, "But what else is new?"

Daily Bugle article: We learn that Urich has indeed written an article exposing the little he knows of the resurrection protocols.

Later. New York City (?). The team is in the process of fighting Mole Man. Scott admits, "My talking to Urich might cost me my spot on the team, but if anyone would like to stay on—" "We don't have to change out every roster spot," Jean continues. Lorna responds, "I'm letting chance take me where I should go." Rogue admits she would like to stay but also notes, "My destiny lies elsewhere. Irene's in a fit, saying that only I can prevent 'mutants walking through a gate and never returning' or some such nonsense." Shiro reveals, "There is something I must do in service of Arakko, but if you need me, just ask." Laura is noncommittal, noting, "I'll let you know before the vote is called."

Finally, Scott says, "And then there were three." Jean chimes in, "Unless Synch has had enough of all of this." Everett responds, "No. I'd like to stay until I absolutely crush it." He then asks, "Cyke, are you really worried about your spot in the upcoming election?" Scott responds, "Well, the Quiet Council will be furious, but I hope our people will take a breath, and upon reflection, say, 'Cyclops was right.'"
    Last edited by Mercury; 06-22-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Plot twist: the malformed child is Hellion, and his "parents" just paid for plastic surgery to make him more human-looking. Sinister is Hellion's real father.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Plot twist: the malformed child is Hellion, and his "parents" just paid for plastic surgery to make him more human-looking. Sinister is Hellion's real father.
    I though he was a eternal and external ?

Cyclops exposing resurrection so casually to a reporter…isn't that a little messy and not smart.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Good issue over all, this is the type of character balance that I wish had been present throughout the book. though shiro still felt a bit underserved

So looks like the team staying will be Cyclops, Jean and Synch. With Laura as a maybe.

Rogue, Sunfire and Polaris are all either going into limbo or different books.

I keep using this term but absolutely outstanding. This issue was chock full of stuff but it didn't feel cluttered at all.

Jean is a boss and I loved how she made Cordyceps believe he had the upper hand while she was purging the spores. "Two Omegas is better than one" was really cute. Everyone's voices sounded on point and the art was stunning. I wish Rogue had more of a focus in the issue that had her Gala vote moment but still an outstanding issue. I have a feeling her comment about Irene's task relates to the Siege Perilous.

I'm going to miss Lorna written by Duggan very much. She really came alive during this run so fingers crossed she's treated just as well elsewhere. I hope Laura ends up sticking around.

Well folks, the world knows.

I figured this would be revealed at the Gala but here we are and everything has changed. The little story about Spidey possibly being a mutant made me chuckle.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Rogue is probably going back to Exaclibur to help fix the otherworld death situations, Sunfire i can see in X-Men Red and as for Lorna…who knows tbh maybe an unreleased xbook

Guessing the Gala will officially confirm and show resurrection
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Rogue is probably going back to Exaclibur to help fix the otherworld death situations, Sunfire i can see in X-Men Red and as for Lorna…who knows tbh maybe an unreleased xbook

Guessing the Gala will officially confirm and show resurrection
    Bringing this over from the KoX thread:
    Rogue's comment in today's X-Men about Irene's task sounds very much related to the Siege Perilous, so perhaps this all gets moved over to Judgment Day, at least that's my hope. Funny enough, Gillen had Howard on his podcast a few months back and he made a comment about his story being intertwined with hers or something like that.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I though he was a eternal and external ?
    He's all of them and the child. This is his prologue, before he time-traveled and fathered Apocalypse.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Im declaring this the stupidest decision Scott has ever made.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Considering that Knights of X is dealing with the Siege Perilous, I took that as confirmation that Rogue is rejoining them.
    Sad to see Polaris and Sunfire gone so soon. At least it looks like Sunfire is moving to the better book (Red).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Im declaring this the stupidest decision Scott has ever made.
    The stupidest he as made so far

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's not stupid for getting in front of a ****-storm before it hits and backfires. Going by the FCBDJ issue The Eternals and Celestials already know about mutants resurrecting themselves. It won't be much longer before the news breaks. Here, Scott has full control of how that news is reported, rather than allowing a hateful third party spin it to their benefit, which they will do regardless, but after the fact.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Delicious.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Bringing this over from the KoX thread:
    Rogue's comment in today's X-Men about Irene's task sounds very much related to the Siege Perilous, so perhaps this all gets moved over to Judgment Day, at least that's my hope. Funny enough, Gillen had Howard on his podcast a few months back and he made a comment about his story being intertwined with hers or something like that.
    It does, doesn’t it? Hmm… considering we know some major characters get mercked in the beginning of A.X.E. Judgment Day and The Five are targeted by the Eternals in order to take out the Resurrection Protocols, that could be an interesting twist that allows them to bring them back. Obviously thinking about Cable here, as we’ve already seen Uranos holding his skull in the trailer’s preview art from issue #1.

Having said that, don’t folks who go through the Siege Perilous come out the other side changed somehow?
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”