Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    ...still want Jean in red, i'm bias and feel it could do more for her...
    You know I want them to spend time together—deep, substantial time—and I would love for Ewing to write her (the little bit we got of his Jean in S.W.O.R.D. was delicious), but I want my girl co-leading her own team. Besides, I don't think I could take the *ahem* discourses... I'd most definitely get banned.

In any event, Duggan's got "a lot more [love]" planned for her, so I'm excited with where she's at right now. Plus, I love that she and Scott—and Everett—are being given the chance to interact and work with a multitude of mutants.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    God, I wish I would've been able to ask Hickman a few questions...

Also, C.B. Villa is taking over artistic duties for "year two" of X-Men.
    Oooooh!! I thought Villa was just a guest artist when I saw his name in the solicits. I LOVE his work. So glad he'll be the new artist. Larraz is my absolute favorite, but C.B. Villa will be phenomenal on X-Men.
    Mutant and Proud!

It's an odd duck when it comes to utilizing team members.

The ones who continue starring are the ones who got the most attention. Nothing wrong in that regard to get readers invested in the ones that stay.

On the flipside the ones leaving had very little to do. Polaris did feats and one liners. She really should have stayed.

Laura was Logan-lite and had close to all her interactions with Synch. A relationship that for her didn't go anywhere. I personally like that Duggan didn't go full steam ahead and that it caused some moments on reflection for Everett. It was the healthy choice for both. Still Laura with Rogue and Polaris? I can't be the only one thinking there is gold to mine there.

Rogue was hardly there. Bizarrly Gambit got some good scenes. I liked Gambits exchange with Irene even though I had hoped for Irene to be more open. Still odd to see him take up so much space in an already crowded book.

Sunfire was hit and miss. Perhaps this will be seen as a stepping stone to some fun story for him.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Oooooh!! I thought Villa was just a guest artist when I saw his name in the solicits. I LOVE his work. So glad he'll be the new artist. Larraz is my absolute favorite, but C.B. Villa will be phenomenal on X-Men.
    Yep. I had gotten a tip that it was going to be Villa several months ago, but a few people on here disagreed because Duggan mentioned a "new" artist and Villa is a veteran. Also, his work is great.

Had I been you, I would have started my talk with Hickman with, "About Jean Grey..." lmao.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

You know I want them to spend time together—deep, substantial time—and I would love for Ewing to write her (the little bit we got of his Jean in S.W.O.R.D. was delicious), but I want my girl co-leading her own team. Besides, I don't think I could take the *ahem* discourses... I'd most definitely get banned.

In any event, Duggan's got "a lot more [love]" planned for her, so I'm excited with where she's at right now. Plus, I love that she and Scott—and Everett—are being given the chance to interact and work with a multitude of mutants.
    I love that Jean is getting her shine in XM while her spiritual sister Storm is getting her shine in XMR. While they do work beauty-fully together, at this point there's really no need for both to be in the same book that will only serve to generate negative discourses amongst certain fan members (of both) in this community...even if both were being written at their best. Two separate well-written and beauty-fully illustrated books are perfect.

To quote Annie and Aretha: "Sisters are doing it, for themselves!"

Bright Lady be Praised!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I love that Jean is getting her shine in XM while her spiritual sister Storm is getting her shine in XMR. While they do work beauty-fully together, at this point there's really no need for both to be in the same book that will only serve to generate negative discourses amongst certain fan members (of both) in this community...even if both were being written at their best.

To quote Annie and Aretha: "Sisters are doing it, for themselves!"

Bright Lady be Praised!
    Exactly. If anything, the writers should come up with a solo miniseries for both of them to explore their friendship and maybe team-up against an adversary together, even if only on Marvel Unlimited.

If anything, the writers should come up with a solo miniseries for both of them to explore their friendship with Hellion, and maybe team-up against an adversary together. Hellion/Jean only dealt with each other off-screen, and I don't think he dealt with Storm at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    If anything, the writers should come up with a solo miniseries for both of them to explore their friendship with Hellion, and maybe team-up against an adversary together. Hellion/Jean only dealt with each other off-screen, and I don't think he dealt with Storm at all.
    Oh, Canticle...

Exactly. If anything, the writers should come up with a solo miniseries for both of them to explore their friendship and maybe team-up against an adversary together, even if only on Marvel Unlimited.
    That's a really good idea. I would actually read that instead of the **** they've been throwing at us with Nature Girl and Maggot etc.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That's a really good idea. I would actually read that instead of the **** they've been throwing at us with Nature Girl and Maggot etc.
    Hey, now, I loved the Maggott mini! I have so much affection for him, Eany, and Meany now.

I love Maggot as well...just not in the story they just wrote. What the **** was that ****? Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    As a Lorna fan, that issue disappointed me because it would've been a perfect opportunity to acknowledge the Genoshan genocide for Lorna after over 15 years of ignoring it. I can tell you right now that if the issue had done that, and done it respectfully, I would've bought multiple physical copies and pushed hard for people to read and support the book. Not doing that is part of what led to me losing interest in reading the book as it went on.
    I felt that was a significant missed opportunity as well.

I liked that Lorna and Jean/Rogue/Laura were on different wavelengths regarding dealing with threats throughout the series, but it was portrayed very subtly in a way I think many fans won't pick up on it and was missing any kind of larger philosophical debate on the merits of these views. Perhaps it wasn't the right book for it, but I think it would have added something to the title.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    I loved the art and I liked the story. I really like how Duggan writes Jean.

But I don’t get the whole ”change the line-up after 12 issues”. What with solicitations being so early, we hardly get to read about the current team before we are teased about the next line-up. It makes it hard to care for the current team.

And the annual gala is so weird. So a year IRL is now a year in the X-Men world as well? So will the X-Men age? But will time in the rest of the Marvel Universe continue to be the vague weeks/months? So a year for the X-Men will be ”several weeks” for Spider-Man? Have they really considered what the annual gala, and a year actually being a year, would actually mean for the rest of the Marvel Universe?

I guess my main criticism about the book is that it didn’t feel like a year passed in the book. I didn’t really feel how the team grew closer. I wish they had continued with the current line-up for a while longer.

(And I wish they will stop with the ridiculous gala since it is a boring, pointless event, but that has nothing to do with the X-Men book, other than the gala being the starting point for every new line-up.)
    Yupp.
    Agreed and agreed 100%

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Gold was better

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Ah, yes the book where Storm took naps in the middle of huge battles and developments, and where "Prestige" powers became so great she was casually mind controls after 2 power ups and learned to read minds as far as...the next room!

I liked this title overall because I'm a Cyclops fan and he did fine in it. Laura, sunfire, rogue and polaris got the shaft in this series. I did like the bond between Scott and Synch