Thread: Is There....

Default Is There....

Is there a fictional version of Earth that Real World Earth (our world) can defeat in battle, assuming that RW Earth could get it's act together and work together for a change?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Is there a fictional version of Earth that Real World Earth (our world) can defeat in battle, assuming that RW Earth could get it's act together and work together for a change?
    Sure. For example, there are all manner of post apocalyptic Earths that real world Earth could steamroll.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Assuming we can meaningfully engage with them (meaning we don't have to go into space or anything), we probably have a solid chance against any Earth with a civilisation (assuming defeat means conquer or subjugate and not actually destroy the planet) that can be harmed by our weapons. I have a long list of awful things to say about the military industrial complex and its global architecture, but real world militaries are still 10000% better at their "jobs" than most fictional ones.

Basically I think we're going to win any conflict where there isn't a vast discrepancy in power. Like we ain't beating Star Trek no matter how dumb they are, as long as they remember to press literally any of the "fight war" buttons on their consoles.

Edit: I think we might have a tough(er) time with Atlantis type civs? Air supremacy is probably is at least *less* effective against the extreme depths of the sea, and the Americans put a lot of resources into air supremacy.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 06-22-2022 at 05:52 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    We could take His Dark Materials Earth.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

As Sharp said, any of... thousands? tens of thousands? more? post-apocalypse Earths would lose and badly. Other slightly jokey Earths would as well - Idiocracy future Earth is in trouble.

Of course, any fictional Earth set far enough in the past to miss out on modern weaponry, strategy and tactics is screwed. And we aren't talking all that far in the past - pre-ICBM guarantees a loss assuming the fictional Earth isn't loaded up with immortals or highly superhuman beings.

Fringing the edges, some Earths set in the present or the near future but written back when people believed in hoverboards but couldn't possibly imagine smartphones, the Internet and meshed communications could lose as well. That just depends upon the world.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Spectacular Member

Yeah, and there are tons of primitive earths, or earths with low tech and weak magic- Conan's Hyperborea - which is technically earth- comes to mind, that we would steamroll. Sure, there's a few low level mages, and some creepy crawlies, and - Conan aside- we'd own the place.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that we could take Jurassic Park Earth because missiles and drones are cheaper and more effective than training raptors to become guerilla fighters, or whatever else nonsense that the JP military is fixating on.

For sure, because technically a lot of Earths don't have feats for their militaries, and thus don't actually have militaries by Rumbles logic.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I'm pretty sure that we could take Jurassic Park Earth because missiles and drones are cheaper and more effective than training raptors to become guerilla fighters, or whatever else nonsense that the JP military is fixating on.
    I dunno, the Caribbean area is WAY heavier armed in the JP world than IRL.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Perhaps a more interesting answer might be "what's the strongest other Earth we could beat?"

There's probably any number of worlds with magic and superhumans we could still defeat, as long as we're not talking mostly street level supers, and the tech levels don't match what we currently have.

It also depends on how much we're willing to sacrifice to bring the other world down.