Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Lin's is also very good, but probably not for 616 Star because he isn't Asian.
    What is it about design that makes it "Asians Only" for you? ..and something that an extradimensional alien being maybe half human couldn't wear?
    Last edited by Thirteen; 09-22-2022 at 09:02 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    What is it about design that makes it "Asians Only" for you? ..and something that an extradimensional alien being maybe half human couldn't wear?
    The helmet, the shoulder pads, the belt, the dragon motif and scale texture, the swords, and the fact the artist specifically said he designed it with the Asian actor in mind. People were accusing Cyclops' Gala design of appropriation, if they put white guy Shatterstar in this costume there would be a similar reaction.

The helmet, the shoulder pads, the belt, the dragon motif and scale texture, the swords, and the fact the artist specifically said he designed it with the Asian actor in mind. People were accusing Cyclops' Gala design of appropriation, if they put white guy Shatterstar in this costume there would be a similar reaction.
    Too bad the costuming of Asian Shatterstar featured in DEADPOOL2 went in a "non-asian" style direction, I suppose...or maybe there's a modicum of asian motif in there. There is a bit off the Asian Motorcycle look in the streetwear Gaveedra-7 wears, but that's kinda straight from white guy Shatterstar in the comics...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Did you know that there was X-community of twitter artist who periodically give themselves a challenge to redesign X-men, led by the fabulous Josh Cornillon ?
    I made a thread about the Destiny one, but I did not know there were way more ! Storm, Polaris, Jubilee and some other X-women have been given fan redesigns over two years now.
    What do you think about these ?

https://www.comicsxf.com/category/articles/redesigning/

I personnaly love some of them, dislike some but I always love the reasoning behind the designs.

Here are my favorite. What's yours ?
    Jean Grey : Christian Thomas and Juan Wences
    Destiny : Cornillon
    Armor : Dillon Snook and Bradley Clayton
    Madelyn Pryor : Dillon Snook and Valentine Smith
    Psylocke : Karen Charm and Johnny Bugge but that was a tough one
    Jubilee : Actually I love most of them. Clayton, Barros, Cornillon, Lin...
    Polaris : Calvin Lin and Adam Tisdale
    Storm : Kenneth Laster and Karen Charm
    I'm liking that toga Shatterstar with the smiling skulls.
    Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 09-22-2022 at 08:23 PM.

Did you know that there was X-community of twitter artist who periodically give themselves a challenge to redesign X-men, led by the fabulous Josh Cornillon ?
    I made a thread about the Destiny one, but I did not know there were way more ! Storm, Polaris, Jubilee and some other X-women have been given fan redesigns over two years now.
    What do you think about these ?

https://www.comicsxf.com/category/articles/redesigning/

I personnaly love some of them, dislike some but I always love the reasoning behind the designs.

Here are my favorite. What's yours ?
    Jean Grey : Christian Thomas and Juan Wences
    Destiny : Cornillon
    Armor : Dillon Snook and Bradley Clayton
    Madelyn Pryor : Dillon Snook and Valentine Smith
    Psylocke : Karen Charm and Johnny Bugge but that was a tough one
    Jubilee : Actually I love most of them. Clayton, Barros, Cornillon, Lin...
    Polaris : Calvin Lin and Adam Tisdale
    Storm : Kenneth Laster and Karen Charm
    Most need some tinkering with and many of them the artist style is hard to see past to access design but these are my standouts from the Redesign the X-Men Project:
    Karma : Chilton, Bruckner (surprised that so many leaned into Xian's obese period a bit when choosing body type, not hating it though)
    Jean Grey (which is separate from Marvel Girl?) : Hughes, Youngblood
    Destiny : Blas, Lin
    Armor : Ojo
    Madelyn Pryor : Barros
    Psylocke : Bruckner, Charm
    Jubilee : Smith, Clayton
    Polaris : Barros, Lin
    Storm : Clayton, Guillen
    Last edited by Thirteen; 09-24-2022 at 10:38 PM.

The Marvel Girl one was a joke I think, about the minidress.
    Pretty sure the "plus-sized" Karma designs were a response to the fatshaming of obese = depressed and evil. Reworking the character to erase the stigma. I'm fine with that even though it wouldn't work in the comics.

I agree it's hard to pass the artstyle to see the real interesting designs though.

Pretty sure the "plus-sized" Karma designs were a response to the fatshaming of obese = depressed and evil. Reworking the character to erase the stigma. I'm fine with that even though it wouldn't work in the comics.
    Plus size Karma could work just fine in Comics, especially since X'ian is not that physical (with their own body) of a character in the best portrayals. Gross obesity didn't slow down the Shadow King when he inhabited their body. Being heavier would be a natural extension of the sedentary nature of the expression of the power to possess other bodies as "rides" in addition to the leftovers from the Shadow King experience...if not just her natural body type not being as rail thin as we were introduced to the character, which could have been ascribed to malnutrition while suffering escaping Vietnam.

Oh yeah I meant it wouldn't work because there was too much emphasis on how much being overweight traumatized her. But honestly it could be a nice story to see her overcome that and being fine with gaining a bit of weight.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

They did one for Pixie, https://www.comicsxf.com/2022/10/27/redesigning-pixie/

I like the Solorzano, and the Charm without the jacket and I would swap the cuffed jeans under the skirt with tights or leggings, and the Barros but I would replace the yellow with teal or turquoise. The Reinfurt is a beautiful illustration, but I can't really see much of the costume in that pose. I also like the Marsh, but the punk look doesn't really suit the 616 version of Pixie.

Barros and Buckland gave me my favorite looks. The latter would make for the perfect Hellfire Gala outfit.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    That design is sweet. I’ve always thought Shatterstar needed a beard and some tattoos too.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

They did one for Pixie, https://www.comicsxf.com/2022/10/27/redesigning-pixie/

I like the Solorzano, and the Charm without the jacket and I would swap the cuffed jeans under the skirt with tights or leggings, and the Barros but I would replace the yellow with teal or turquoise. The Reinfurt is a beautiful illustration, but I can't really see much of the costume in that pose. I also like the Marsh, but the punk look doesn't really suit the 616 version of Pixie.
    Ah thank you !
    I really like Solorzano's. Classic, simple, elegant, and with Pixie's colors.
    Charm is weird but interesting.
    I like the colors and body of Fangirl's design, but I admit I'm always weirded out by skirts with flying powers.

Barros is brilliant.
    And Falconer's is just basically how she dresses, isn't it ?