Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Redesigning the X-men

Did you know that there was X-community of twitter artist who periodically give themselves a challenge to redesign X-men, led by the fabulous Josh Cornillon ?
    I made a thread about the Destiny one, but I did not know there were way more ! Storm, Polaris, Jubilee and some other X-women have been given fan redesigns over two years now.
    What do you think about these ?

https://www.comicsxf.com/category/articles/redesigning/

I personnaly love some of them, dislike some but I always love the reasoning behind the designs.

Here are my favorite. What's yours ?
    Jean Grey : Christian Thomas and Juan Wences
    Destiny : Cornillon
    Armor : Dillon Snook and Bradley Clayton
    Madelyn Pryor : Dillon Snook and Valentine Smith
    Psylocke : Karen Charm and Johnny Bugge but that was a tough one
    Jubilee : Actually I love most of them. Clayton, Barros, Cornillon, Lin...
    Polaris : Calvin Lin and Adam Tisdale
    Storm : Kenneth Laster and Karen Charm

I remember when there was a redesigning Emma Frost one and I hated literally all the looks they gave her with a burning passion.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

I didn't know such a thing existed and I'm enjoying looking through these. Thanks for sharing!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

These are fun. It's nice to see peoples' ideas & get some ideas for my own stuff.

Jean Grey: Héctor Barros, Phoenix version.
    Destiny: Josh Cornillon would be a really cute Hellfire Gala outfit.
    Armor: Alex Buckland or Kenneth Laster. Though Clayton and Barros are giving me inspiration for my own character designs.
    Madelyn Pryor: Alex Buckland or Kenneth Laster. The link to Bradley Clayton's picture is broken, so I can't see it. I'm going to assume this is meant to show that he imagines Maddy not wearing any outfit at all, which is a fashion choice I can appreciate.
    Psylocke: We got some good looks here, but none that I vibe with for Kwannon.
    Jubilee: Calvin Lin or Héctor Barros. I don't like Erik Ojo's piece as a look for Jubilee, but I love it regardless.
    Polaris: Calvin Lin.
    Storm: Josh Cornillon.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

I like this one. I did an upgrade for Destiny based on their ideas. Might share if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    These are fun. It's nice to see peoples' ideas & get some ideas for my own stuff.
    What do you mean?

This is perhaps my favorite redesign of Jean's uniform (by Arthur Stacy), followed by a couple of other favorites.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Astonishing Member

Here's some redesigns that were done a few years back by an artist on tumblr named Dima Ivanov. I've always been partial to the ridiculously impractical Elixir one (male characters deserve that sorta 'makes absolutely no sense but okay' designs too!) and the Illyana one, except for the diamond slit on her leg. Without that, it'd be perfect in my opinion.

tumblr_omwjazbglt1sjvdrjo9_r1_1280.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    What do you mean?
    I like to design my own superhero OCs, and looks for canon heroes. Usually I just pay other artists to draw them though, since I have no artistic talent.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Here's some redesigns that were done a few years back by an artist on tumblr named Dima Ivanov. I've always been partial to the ridiculously impractical Elixir one (male characters deserve that sorta 'makes absolutely no sense but okay' designs too!) and the Illyana one, except for the diamond slit on her leg. Without that, it'd be perfect in my opinion.
    I really like these, they're slick. Though Magik portrayed without a headpiece feels so weird to me. I'm just too used to her having something on her head.

BobbysWorld, those designs remind me of Alex Ross' X-Men designs.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I like to design my own superhero OCs, and looks for canon heroes. Usually I just pay other artists to draw them though, since I have no artistic talent.
    Can I see some of them? love to see other people's view of characters. If you feel comfortable. share them here or through my DM. I'd love to see them!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    Can I see some of them? love to see other people's view of characters. If you feel comfortable. share them here or through my DM. I'd love to see them!
    I don't have anything right now, sadly. But I have a Hellfire Gala outfit for Wind Dancer coming in. I can post the commission when it's done.

It's a traditional Venezuelan dress, featuring her color scheme. The ruffles are made to look like swirling wind. She has bracelets that look like clouds forming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    This is perhaps my favorite redesign of Jean's uniform (by Arthur Stacy), followed by a couple of other favorites.

I really liked this one too. The only thing bugging me are the random yellow stripes at the collar.

Also love the hooded one, an Alex Ross ref is always welcome, even though I wish they had put some yellow or green in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post

tumblr_omwjazbglt1sjvdrjo9_r1_1280.jpg
    Yeah Ivanov is on a league of his own with his redesigns, honestly. That Iceman is one of the best I'v seen.

Jean Grey: Héctor Barros, Phoenix version.
    Destiny: Josh Cornillon would be a really cute Hellfire Gala outfit.
    Armor: Alex Buckland or Kenneth Laster. Though Clayton and Barros are giving me inspiration for my own character designs.
    Madelyn Pryor: Alex Buckland or Kenneth Laster. The link to Bradley Clayton's picture is broken, so I can't see it. I'm going to assume this is meant to show that he imagines Maddy not wearing any outfit at all, which is a fashion choice I can appreciate.
    Psylocke: We got some good looks here, but none that I vibe with for Kwannon.
    Jubilee: Calvin Lin or Héctor Barros. I don't like Erik Ojo's piece as a look for Jubilee, but I love it regardless.
    Polaris: Calvin Lin.
    Storm: Josh Cornillon.
    Yeah for Destiny I thought it would have been a reaaaally good Gala outfit. Not practical in the least, obvi but so high impact.

The site is weirdly coded so sometimes the pictures don't load properly at random. If you reload it after a few hours it generally works.

Jean's extra fainting protection in Jarrod's design is hilarious! ;-p

**Also: fans really do not let go of Jean as Phoenix!!!! Can Marvel please finally listen?!?!
    Last edited by Exodus; 06-24-2022 at 12:18 AM.