• A replacement for the Omniverse

3 13.64%
  • A brief Multiverse that won't survive Dark Crisis

6 27.27%
  • None of the above

6 27.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Poll: The Design and Purpose of The New Multiverse (Dark Crisis Spoilers)

Solicits for Dark Crisis #4 have revealed that a "new Multiverse" will debut in Dark Crisis #4.

What do you think will ultimately become of this new Multiverse? Will it be separate from the current Omniverse or replace the Omniverse entirely? Or is it something temporary, like the Multiverse that briefly existed in Infinite Crisis.

I hope it's going to be a new Multiverse that replaces the "Omniverse" of Snyder and DiDio, one that simplifies continuity back to a more manageable state. No more "everyone remembers everything" nonsense and also, an opportunity to correct recent mistakes (Clark's figurative coming out, Jon's age-up and literal coming out, etc.)
    Last edited by Kirk Brent; 06-23-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Where can I learn more about this 'new' universe?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Where can I learn more about this 'new' universe?
    Here's CBR's story on Dark Crisis #4's solicit. DC is also dedicating a panel at SDCC to this development.

Astonishing Member

Maybe a universe that isn't tied down to the current continuity mess?

Will it be a digital universe with its own virtual assistant so you can interact with it?

I voted none of the above because I do not know where DC is going with this so far.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Where's the option for "it'll be a thing for a year or two, then left forgotten, then replaced with yet another new multiverse in another Crisis event"?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

We've gotten so many different what if DC storylines recently, I don't know how unique they can make this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Where's the option for "it'll be a thing for a year or two, then left forgotten, then replaced with yet another new multiverse in another Crisis event"?
    That would have been an option, but I'm trying to stay optimistic...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Omniverse is everything, so the new Multiverse will be part of the greater Omniverse
    The current main Multiverse, The Orrery of 52 Earths, is Multiverse-1
    The Pre-Crisis Multiverse of Infinite Earths, now just a debris, is Multiverse-2
    This can simply be Multiverse-3, but for what, I don't know

Unless it replaces The Orrery of 52 Earths, in which case it could have fewer number of Earths, or the same number but with different continuity, or more Earths are included, or they break the limitation of The Orrery arrangement so that the 52 Earths can float freely alongside the other non-Orrery earths in the Omniverse.
    There's no more Multiverse-1 or 2, just one, since the second is just a debris anyway. Add the Metaverse (archived copy of old Multiverses), they make The Omniverse.

Another option is to unleash the Metaverse, where the archived copy of old stories are no longer archive but living Multiverses of Pre Crisis, New 52, and so on. They do away with the concept of past stories characters being the same as the current one reincarnated. They make all of them separate characters again, living in separate earths and Multiverses
    Multiverse-1 for the current one
    Multiverse-2 for the Pre Crisis, replacing the debris
    Multiverse-3 for the New 52 Earths
    So on

My preference is not the first option, because I have no idea what more they can add to this already complicated arrangement
    I'm okay with breaking the limitation of The Orrery, except I like that freaking map, it's easier to track than if they spread all the Earths to infinity

Judge is still out on the last option, because as long as they're still focusing on Batman of Earth-0 of Multiverse-1, there's no difference if those past stories are in a Metaverse or a living Multiverse... unless of course they're making Cross Multiverse stories where past versions of characters can meet the current one.

It also can make time travel less complicated as I no longer have to explain about the single long Hypertime from 1938 to today, separated by reboots into smaller timelines with their own histories. That is so complicated and I'm not even sure about how time travel works if that's the arrangement.

So yeah, I guess, whether it comes true or not, I want to unleash the Metaverse. Transform the Omniverse. Make them all different characters again. Less complicated to explain.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-24-2022 at 10:34 AM.

Isn't the Omniverse already including every Earth or iteration of these characters or am I missing something?
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Did DC actually do anything with post-Metal multiverse? So this new thing is probably replacing it since they didn't really bother to do anything with it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Did DC actually do anything with post-Metal multiverse? So this new thing is probably replacing it since they didn't really bother to do anything with it.
    Since it was a hasty and ill-conceived for Johns' excellent Metaverse, not really. I hope this will replace the post-Metal mess and create something sensible and useful for future stories.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Voted for "A brief Multiverse that won't survive Dark Crisis".

If this was "the new status quo" or something, it wouldn't be announced in a solicit in such an unceremonious way.

But maybe the SDCC panel proves me wrong.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Voted for "A brief Multiverse that won't survive Dark Crisis".

If this was "the new status quo" or something, it wouldn't be announced in a solicit in such an unceremonious way.

But maybe the SDCC panel proves me wrong.
    The fact that there's a panel discussing this makes me think it's more than just a temporary thing. Maybe they'll announce that a line-wide relaunch is happening after Dark Crisis. Not necessarily another reboot, just some readjustments. I'm very likely being way too optimistic that DC is capable of anything this competent.