Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

It was pretty underwhelming, but the air was let out once 1) the jarring art with Sharp taking over for 3 issues and 2) the long ass delays.

It's weird that if you wanted to coherently read King's Batman Saga you would have to jump around quite a bit from different titles to different titles.

For example he has Bruce's death (or was it Selena's pregnancy?) in Catwoman 80th Anniversary and another piece in Tec 1000 & 1027, hopefully if they ever release this in a OHC they include all of it together.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 06-28-2022 at 07:21 PM.

Incredible Member

Dunno why I kept reading this confusing mess of a limited series - the time jumps didn't add anything to the experience aside from confusion. It didn't deepen our understanding of any specific character/timeline. Since the characters remain the same throughout time (Selina's core being is that she is still the same), the time jumps serve no purpose.

It is pretty cynical to 'save' the Bruce/Selina wedding for this series instead of having it in the proper Batman book. Although seeing the few panels here is enjoyable, I think the impact of it is massively blunted compared to if it had happened years ago in the main King book.

One huge takeaway though, is I hope King never writes a Superman series.

He already wrote Superman story and it is pretty good.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's definitely been a journey to get here.

I do wonder if King had been allowed to do his 100-105 issue run , where would Batman be at this point in time ?
    I started to read Bat/Cat in the beginning , but after about 5-6 issues gave up on it because of the delays.
    But I wonder if Bob Harras decision to stop King at # 85 was the best idea or not ?
    Well next week Batman gets another new start, so we'll eventually see how it all stacks up.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Kings final arc was City of Bane right? Now that they know they've been tricked issue 86-100 would be the cooling down leading to the ending, the main content would be reestablishing the relationship, and reassuring that their fears wouldn't come true or theyll face it together

The beginning was the relationship starting
    The rising conflict is the proposal
    The anticlimax was the failed wedding
    The second conflict is the depression
    The climax was City of Bane
    The cooling down would be mending the things they broke during the depression. I think there would've been more moments with Gordon and the family, the people he hurt when he's depressed, and other collaterals like Dick, to allow proper healing and mending of relationships. Maybe including Thomas Wayne as well, who knows.

So after the mending and healing every member of the family can be there for a grander wedding, or that's just what I want
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-29-2022 at 03:38 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    But I wonder if Bob Harras decision to stop King at # 85 was the best idea or not ?
    No from my point of view they should have stopped him way earlier, or not put him on the book in the first place.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    No from my point of view they should have stopped him way earlier, or not put him on the book in the first place.
    any incite as to how he got the book in the first place? Was it because of Vision?

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

And thus this sordid series ends. In a whimper. Even with the last-ditch attempt at some empty, strangely joyless ad-hoc "wedding". Felt like more of an emergency button for headlines than any sort of satisfying conclusion.

This book sucked. Waste of time and money, and both characters and readers alike are far better off with the fact that it is non-canon.

Crazy how much good will King managed to squander over the course of 12 issues.

Censorship Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Definitely one of the Batman comics ever published.
    I agree, it is definitely one of the Batman comics that have been published haha

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    any incite as to how he got the book in the first place? Was it because of Vision?
    Back when he took over he was pretty popular, and everybody seemed to have liked his previous work and was hyped for his Batman run.
    So I think it makes sense that he was picked as writer at that time.

Of course he had never really written a really an ongoing mainstream book at the time on his own (only minis with more obscure characters and Grayson where he had a co-writer), and it seems that this doesn't fit his style.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Back when he took over he was pretty popular, and everybody seemed to have liked his previous work and was hyped for his Batman run.
    So I think it makes sense that he was picked as writer at that time.

Of course he had never really written a really an ongoing mainstream book at the time on his own (only minis with more obscure characters and Grayson where he had a co-writer), and it seems that this doesn't fit his style.
    I think he does well enough. Outside of some arcs like Knightmares he’s probably my favorite recent Batman writer.

That said this series was a disappointment for me. I was expecting a capstone on his Batman run and with the promised wedding, a bow to the story that is Bat and Cat and how and why they work. Instead this was a decent Catwoman story with some nice moments in the last issue. Maybe my feelings will change later, but it was not the epic conclusion to a beloved run that I was anticipating for so long.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Maybe my feelings will change later, but it was not the epic conclusion to a beloved run that I was anticipating for so long.
    The 'epic' conclusion was the holiday special. It made this whole series unnecessary and got straight to the point much quicker.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I mean it's something as opposed to rehashed stories from the past

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    New stories unfortunately don't interest some fanboys as much as rehashed stories from the past.

That said, I thought it was fine. Nothing mindblowing, but certainly more interesting that the main Bat book has been since King left. And I personally dug the focus on Selina. Like, comicdom will survive two books that focus on her if there are still half a dozen or so on Batman.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I only kept buying this for the focus on Selina, it was an interesting path to take with a book that has Batman in the title. However, I admittedly stopped actually reading it several issues ago, just got it flipped through to see the pretty artwork and then bagged it on a shelf. I read this issue though. I dont know what in the blue blazes I just read. Most especially the scene between Selina and Helena at the table. The dialogue was...atrocious. Was this written by a fourteen year old?

Incredible Member

I loved the first part of King's run, thought the wedding was a real let-down, and most of the rest of the run was underwhelming with the plotting feeling very scattered.

Still, I had high hopes for this series given that the Bat/Cat focus was the strongest part of the run and her absence in the second half makes the experience overall less enjoyable. Plus they were bringing in Andrea Beaumont, a perfect foil for this new relationship.

Instead, this was a slow-drip of one of the most incoherent and scattered series I've read in quite awhile. The multiple timelines didn't work, everything felt like nothing. Frustrating! The series would've been more interesting and satisfying if it started where this one ended, with the wedding, and seeing them acclimate to this new agreement, while then dealing with Phantasm's return and then Joker and then maybe a flash-forward later.

I think King has a bag of tricks that sometimes works to great effect, and sometimes misses the plot entirely — this series falls firmly in the latter category.