Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Yea Don't even Talk to me about trying to get some of Wanda's 1st Issues in the X-men especially #4 her Debut, the Least I have seen is now around $1,200.00 in decent condition, WOW! I can be wrong, but even if it lowers it is not what it used to be a few years ago.

But Honestly Yea Cubbyboo, If I have to say 1 miracle, I did not see coming even for Me being the Most Optimistic Scarlet Witch Fan only believed Wanda would gain moderate to at best over Moderate liking from the MCU. She was always Tier-B to C casted, but just having her in the movies was a miracle in and of itself. BUT after the Events of Endgame & Wanda’s Thanos fight Allot more fans noticed her. I think it was cause Thanos seemed untouchable in the movies even by groups of Heroes and that was without the stones. But what Wanda did on her own to him finally made fans not giving her a 2nd glance to give her a 2nd glance and Fans started piecing together Wanda’s MCU journey and many new fans started to like her.

Then Came WandaVision, a Show SO made for the time we needed it with what the world was going through, and the rest is History with just Emmy Nominated Levels that show was! Wanda’s Star just BLEW-UP like we could never image going from looking over C-Tier to A-Tier Overnight!

And I don’t say that lightly either, I would be the 1st not wanting to put Wanda in this tier unless it was really happening, but it has.

Even as you said the Controversial and not well liked by many Fans of Wanda in MoM, has not even seem to slow Wanda’s rise in popularity, in fact it only seems to have increase it to the point many called her the best thing out of the movie with the most iconic lines.

Those things ago will gain you heaps of support alone, but it shows Wanda has captured Lighting in a Bottle! Wanda has tapped into the culture in such a unique was and so impactful it has left the MCU world just wanting more and better for her, it truly, despite my misgivings of MoM, it truly is a Miracle for Any Long-Term Wanda Fan to be Witness too, This Love! ;_;
    She seems to have made many LGBTQ fans too which is interesting because she herself isn't though her sons are. Yet apparently her story of having a non-traditional romance along with struggling to fit in and not getting the help she needs seems to have resonated with many people.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    She seems to have made many LGBTQ fans too which is interesting because she herself isn't though her sons are. Yet apparently her story of having a non-traditional romance along with struggling to fit in and not getting the help she needs seems to have resonated with many people.
    Indeed Wanda has had an impact on LGBTQ fans in such impactful & meaningful ways more then we realized & it is Lovely to LGBTQ gain connections to Wanda!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

That's certainly valid. Comic books are never going to match the audience of the movies and Iron Man has been the launching pad for the MCU going back to RDJ's first movie. Thor isn't as big with the box office but it does well also. I love the current run of Iron Man by Christopher Cantwell but it will never reach the same size audience. I can't speak to Thor since I've not been picking that one up.

A-Lister for whom? Comics readers? Movie-goers? Normies?
    I see a lot of people saying that Iron Man, Thor etc... were not A-Listers before the MCU. I couldn't disagree more. In the 70's there were a series of terrible cartoons directly extracted from the comics featuring Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk and Namor, followed hand in hand with a massive mechandizing campaign that craved those characters, and a few others into the imaginary of at least a couple of generations. My parents, who have never read a comic book in their lives, could recognize most of the core Avengers, even if they had no idea what was the Avengers (same way they knew Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman etc... but never knew about the JLA, untill MUCH later). Same for the FF and Spider-man, who also had their mildly sucessful cartoons and were part of the marketing campaign (with the Thing and the Human Torch notably being the ones of the FF that moved more merchandizing). X-Men only exploded in the comics in the late 70's, early 80's, but it was with the 90's cartoon and the related mechandizing that they really became worldwide reknown. Very few people outside of comics knew much about the original X-Men.
    Nowadays, basically every major Marvel character created before the 80's is sort of known to the general public, be it due to comics, movies, cartoons, and/or games. Very few created (or updated) after the 2000 can make the same claim.
    So, IMHO, it's not comics or movies that make a character A-lister. It's his power to move merchandizing that really makes him big. And Cap, Thor, Iron Man etc... have been doing so for decades (and now more than ever), more than many "comics greats".

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 06-27-2022 at 12:32 PM.

The Miz...

It's always been Spider-Man and Hulk. Then with the X-Men's explosion of popularity in the 80's Wolverine joined that trio.

Thor, Iron Man and Captain America were all famous at some points from the 60's-80's but then were eclipsed by the X-Men and Spidey. I guess the "Big Six" of Marvel have always been Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Thor, Captain America and Iron Man.

The Fantastic Four and Daredevil aren't too far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    It's always been Spider-Man and Hulk. Then with the X-Men's explosion of popularity in the 80's Wolverine joined that trio.

Thor, Iron Man and Captain America were all famous at some points from the 60's-80's but then were eclipsed by the X-Men and Spidey. I guess the "Big Six" of Marvel have always been Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Thor, Captain America and Iron Man.

The Fantastic Four and Daredevil aren't too far behind.
    Funny thing about Wolverine is only Spider-Man has appeared in total number of comics(according to comicvine) even though he made his debut more than a decade later than characters like the Hulk, Iron Man, etc. He probably won't catch him, but he's slowly closing in on Spidey.

I personally would never have guessed that this thread would go the way it did.

BANNED

In terms of most recognizable, marquee characters? Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America. Always default to what was popular on merchandise back in the 1980s and 90s and if none of them have dipped in popularity, it's likely still true.

After the MCU now? Who knows, because Disney has artificially tried to push duds like Black Widow and Captain Marvel on the public even in the face of apathy. I would add Wolverine and Iron Man for a top 5 but that's it, again everyone recognizes the characters from the movies so it's just about who makes the top of the top.

After the MCU now? Who knows, because Disney has artificially tried to push duds like Black Widow and Captain Marvel
    Captain marvel making a billion is a dud? Lol. Most movie studios would kill for that box office!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Captain marvel making a billion is a dud? Lol. Most movie studios would kill for that box office!
    Nobody cared about those characters and no one would if Feige didn't push certain favorites of his for an agenda. And yes, I would include all the cosmic characters that he pushed for whatever reason too. Black Widow didn't make a billion, and no one is arguing that Eternals are now A-listers just because the movie made more than most. My point is that it isn't a good barometer as had Feige not been the way he was, we could've gotten Daredevil, Punisher, Blade, FF etc instead of BW and CM.

Astonishing Member

I have always said a-listers are people who have consistent comics since the 60s. Spider-man, Fantastic Four, Thor, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Man, Avengers, X-men, Hulk. Guys like Doctor strange, Shang Chi, etc are b listers. But some modern people have come in. Or somewhat new. Deadpool, Wolverine, Punisher, Black Panther, things like that are hard to define. I can't say Black panther isn't an A-lister or Deadpool with how well their movies did.

Different lists of A-listers can be made for comics, movies, etc. The one name that is in the intersection of all of them is Spider-man. Whether it's comics, movies, merchandise, video games or general recognition he plays for the top spot almost always. I guess one can say he is the one undisputed A-lister of Marvel just like Batman is for DC. After that everyone has their own set of rules for what counts as an A-lister.

So apparently not giving a character a solo movie for ten years despite people clamoring for it and as a cherry on top killing them off prior to their movie is now called "pushing" said character. Hot takes on the internet never fail to amaze me...
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I have always said a-listers are people who have consistent comics since the 60s. Spider-man, Fantastic Four, Thor, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Man, Avengers, X-men, Hulk. Guys like Doctor strange, Shang Chi, etc are b listers. But some modern people have come in. Or somewhat new. Deadpool, Wolverine, Punisher, Black Panther, things like that are hard to define. I can't say Black panther isn't an A-lister or Deadpool with how well their movies did.
    I would kind of have to agree that group of 9 original characters is the A-list, but I'd probably add Wolverine. It's so hard to gauge though as Punisher is probably more well known at this point than Daredevil or even the Fantastic Four, but I don't see him as the 'A' list just by virtue of coming too late. The earlier they could make a cultural footprint should matter, but then, I guess we have to take into account it doesn't matter if people who grew up with the silver age as children are in their 70s now and it'll be moot if Reed Richards was once more famous than Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    So apparently not giving a character a solo movie for ten years despite people clamoring for it and as a cherry on top killing them off prior to their movie is now called "pushing" said character. Hot takes on the internet never fail to amaze me...
    Anyone on the planet was clamoring for it? I think that's more the "hot take" than anything I said... that she got a movie she didn't deserve at all even after she was already dead is the gift, and none of this is addressing whether characters are A-listers or not.