small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Default Duo - it's not Xombi, but--

Of the original Milestone titles, few were as original as Xombie. I'm surprised DC didn't revive the character as they did others (Icon, Rocket, Static, Hardware, et al.); but then, given how remarkable Xombi was, I'm not as surprised as I might've been. This is... okay... really a new character with trappings of his former self, and, admittedly, I've only seen the first issue.

Anyone else pick this up? Especially anyone who's read the first series? Opinions?!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

It's a decent comic. It would be fun if Xombi pops up down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Of the original Milestone titles, few were as original as Xombie. I'm surprised DC didn't revive the character as they did others (Icon, Rocket, Static, Hardware, et al.); but then, given how remarkable Xombi was, I'm not as surprised as I might've been. This is... okay... really a new character with trappings of his former self, and, admittedly, I've only seen the first issue.

Anyone else pick this up? Especially anyone who's read the first series? Opinions?!
    This isn't a bad book, but it pales after Xombi. Xombi was loaded with Vertigo weirdness and Duo is far more standard superhero fair with heroes against a massive evil organization. Sure, there's magic and mysticism, but it was nothing I'm tempted to try the second issue on, despite it being a six issue mini.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Trade waiting Duo (along with the other current Milestone minis), but I will say that Xombi was my favorite of the original lineup.

Rozum's second series was also off to a great start before being sadly cut short.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Trade waiting Duo (along with the other current Milestone minis), but I will say that Xombi was my favorite of the original lineup.

Rozum's second series was also off to a great start before being sadly cut short.
    New 52 is the reason that book got axed.

That is why DC did not offer reorders on it.

The book was either done or near finished when DC decided to go with New 52. So there was nothing anyone could have done.

Xombi was such a great book and concept. I especially loved the last (short lived) series. Duo has been ok so far. It’s basically just Firestorm with a married couple.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Robotman? Oh you got me a big laugh at that'n--"It’s basically just Firestorm with a married couple. "
    Oh, it is, it is! Thank you. Getting hard to find a true laugh these days, and that's a good one.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member

This intrigued me from the interview, so I'm looking forward to giving it a read, myself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Xombi was such a great book and concept. I especially loved the last (short lived) series. Duo has been ok so far. It’s basically just Firestorm with a married couple.
    I feel that's a genuinely good premise. Indeed, I argue that's a better premise than Firestorm. (Not big on Stein, personally, and the Jason backseating to Ronnie thing ranges from blasé to sucky in 2022 when it was already erring on the side of being in poor taste when it first became a thing.) There's a lot of thought-provoking storytelling potential, not to mention it just feels super cool of a concept in this context.