Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good Comics Reading Groups

This is a weird thing to admit on CBR, but I just haven't been reading that many comics recently. A big part of it is that I don't have anyone to talk to about comics, especially anything older. I think it would be helpful to join some kind of reading group over the summer.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Hell, it could even be a CBR thread or some kind of Twitter group.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I have PTSD and after a lifetime reading books and comics I found that about 9 years ago I was just buying them and not opening them to read. I found it very hard to focus on my reading and I'm talking since I was a child in the 60's! Yes I went to therapy but that prove a waste of time and in the end I cured myself. As I was a diehard Marvel silver age fan it took a set of books that were out of my comfort zone, it was a Hell boy 4 volume set. It was only by chance that I was gifted this set and as I had heard of the character I took a chance and that was it, thank goodness. I too have no one to share my hobby with and my nephew is always trying to get me to start a Youtube channel but at 63 I don't know. Stick with it Thomas.
    Hail Hydra!

Astonishing Member

I have never been in a reading club.
    But a CBR reading club looks interesting.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

There was a Batman book club on these forums a million years ago, but I don't remember which poster started it, nor do I remember it lasting very long (maybe 2-3 books?). They put in the time, posted polls to vote on which trade, etc but I think it was a lot of maintenance. Maybe if someone's feeling it they can resurrect something similar?

Also, Mets, there's the classiccomics.org forums if you're specifically looking for more discussion centered on older material.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Running the risk of giving a simplistic answer, but aren't you in the right place to be for that? (or one of the right places) Why don't you kick-off some threads on classic comics you want to discuss and see if there's interest/ engagement?

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    I have PTSD and after a lifetime reading books and comics I found that about 9 years ago I was just buying them and not opening them to read. I found it very hard to focus on my reading and I'm talking since I was a child in the 60's! Yes I went to therapy but that prove a waste of time and in the end I cured myself. As I was a diehard Marvel silver age fan it took a set of books that were out of my comfort zone, it was a Hell boy 4 volume set. It was only by chance that I was gifted this set and as I had heard of the character I took a chance and that was it, thank goodness. I too have no one to share my hobby with and my nephew is always trying to get me to start a Youtube channel but at 63 I don't know. Stick with it Thomas.
    I've got plenty of comics at hand.

I've just realized that a big part of my choices on entertainment is having someone to talk about it with.

I don't watch much TV, and it's often shows with other people.

I watch a lot of movies and it's easy to talk about that with friends, or with more obscure stuff, to get a lot of commentary on it. I've also got plenty of ways to engage with obscure stuff, like posting on Letterboxd or a series of CBR threads. I'm looking for something like that with comics.

Quote Originally Posted by comicscollector View Post
    I have never been in a reading club.
    But a CBR reading club looks interesting.
    If anyone has any ideas, I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    There was a Batman book club on these forums a million years ago, but I don't remember which poster started it, nor do I remember it lasting very long (maybe 2-3 books?). They put in the time, posted polls to vote on which trade, etc but I think it was a lot of maintenance. Maybe if someone's feeling it they can resurrect something similar?

Also, Mets, there's the classiccomics.org forums if you're specifically looking for more discussion centered on older material.
    Thanks for the link.

The main issue there is it seems very similar to blogging, with one person posting their thoughts amid occasional responses.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Running the risk of giving a simplistic answer, but aren't you in the right place to be for that? (or one of the right places) Why don't you kick-off some threads on classic comics you want to discuss and see if there's interest/ engagement?
    I don't quite see this at CBR.

The closest is the 1,000 books challenge, but it's more of an inventory. Discussion is limited.

There can be great discussions about the latest issue of something popular, but no one's covering a readthrough of John Byrne's post-Crisis Superman to give an example of a notable run.

Years back before the reset, I started a thread on the Spider-Man Clone Saga and that worked out well.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Those forums were started by a number of folks who used to haunt the old classic comics forums here before the reboot. Some of them are still lurking around, some folks there are newer members.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I remember the Batman reading club, I think Captain Jim had started it though I could be wrong. I'd definitely be down for something simmilar if there was interest.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I remember the Batman reading club, I think Captain Jim had started it though I could be wrong. I'd definitely be down for something simmilar if there was interest.
    I'd love to participate again, but just don't have the bandwidth to moderate such an undertaking on a regular basis right now.

Would also love to see such a thing embrace more than just Batman books...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'd love to participate again, but just don't have the bandwidth to moderate such an undertaking on a regular basis right now.

Would also love to see such a thing embrace more than just Batman books...
    A wider scope would definitely make it easier, I think the older one fizzled because as many self-contained Batman stories as there are out there it is a rather finite list.

As for setting something up, it wouldn't necessarily need a mod to do it; anyone could do a suggestion thread to gather titles people were interested in and then set up a poll to vote for the book of the month and then another thread for the actual discussion.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I'd be up for a Graphic Novel club.

The X-Forums are doing a reading club. They suggested books TBR here:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...rums-book-club

They voted on them here:

And here's the first discussion:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...lub-discussion
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'd be up for a Graphic Novel club.

The X-Forums are doing a reading club. They suggested books TBR here:

They voted on them here:

And here's the first discussion:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...lub-discussion
    That's definitely how Captain Jim's Batman one worked back in the day and I'm definitely open to a similar one with a broder focus.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

If anyone has any ideas, I'm interested.
    Would be interesting to me,if just a single story (A 20 page comic book),even if it is part of a story arc could be nominated.
    Say the first chapter of a story arc for example.
    Or does the books nominated for the Reading Club have to be complete story arcs or TPB?

I would love to see something like this. I have a pretty good amount of free time. I was wanting to set something like this up because while I read a lot of comics I dont read many newer ones. So it would be great to set up some kind of small group.

Or Mets if you want to do something one on one shoot me a PM and we can would something out
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicscollector View Post
    Would be interesting to me,if just a single story (A 20 page comic book),even if it is part of a story arc could be nominated.
    Say the first chapter of a story arc for example.
    Or does the books nominated for the Reading Club have to be complete story arcs or TPB?
    I think the 'rules' are being hashed out right now. So, just suggest one for people to vote on.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?