Default Dark Horse Star Wars 1-45, or Star Wars Republic 46-83?

Just curious how the Dark Horse flagship Star Wars series was at the start, and when the title added the "republic" to the title but kept the numbering. I read the late issues of Republic, but I see that the series started in late 1998 before Phantom came out in the theater.

Has was the first 45 issues? Any good? And how was the series when it added Republic and covered the Clone Wars and after?

The first 45 issues mainly focus on Ki-Adi-Mundi, Mace Windu and some of the other members of the council, before kind of shifting to Quinlan Vos/Aayla Secura. "Republic" kind of shifts between Anakin/Obi-Wan and Quinlan's continuing adventures during the war, although occasionally they intersect. The last few issues pretty much are a set-up for the "Dark Times" spin-off series that came after. They're a particularly interesting "alternate" take on the Clone Wars that's somewhat a bit darker than the animated series. The comics don't really 'fit' with the Clone Wars cartoon continuity, although they do feature Ventress; one memorable arc also features Jaabim, which showed up in "Obi-Wan".

One kind of amusing peculiarity in the early Star Wars issues is that Ki-Adi-Mundi not only is married and has a family, but actually has two wives as well. Given as how that's not OK for a Jedi is a major plot point of the prequels especially starting with AOTC, they tried to retcon it because his planet has population issues so he was granted a special exception, and then they killed them off-panel during the Clone Wars issues.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-27-2022 at 05:31 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Very interesting, thanks for that. Yeah I figured there was most likely some plot points or character bits that conflicted with what we were told later on in the movies. I really want to give them all a read to see what conflicts and even what they decided to use in the movies later on.

Too bad the trades/omnibusses(omnibi?) are out of print and super expensive on ebay.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for that. Yeah I figured there was most likely some plot points or character bits that conflicted with what we were told later on in the movies. I really want to give them all a read to see what conflicts and even what they decided to use in the movies later on.

Too bad the trades/omnibusses(omnibi?) are out of print and super expensive on ebay.
    While the first 6 issues are out of print, as they contradict current continuity a great deal and aren't that well regarded, the trade Star Wars: Prelude to Rebelion is neither hard to find nor prohibitivly expensive as there are dozens for sale on both ebay and amazon for under 20 bucks.

The next bunch are sligtly trickier if you want a physical copy, Marvel started collecting them in their Epic Collection line in 2018 but haven't reprinted it since which does drive up the prices when one does hit the market but it's cheaply had digitially and volume one has Star Wars #7-18 as well as Jango Fett: Open Season and Star Wars Tales #8 and 21-24. Vol. 2 is still readily available through most book sellers like Barnes and noble for 32 bucks so it's not as bad and it collects 19-35 which was where the book really started to get good. With the paper shortage however vol.3 isn't expected to make out until 2023 at this point but who knows.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

There's also the Jedi one-shots that largely tie in with Republic's arcs, and the "obsession" mini-series which wrapped up Asajj Ventress's story arc, in a totally different way than Clone Wars and Dark Disciple did.

There's also an interesting Arc Trooper character, Alpha, who was part of the inspiration for Rex.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's also the Jedi one-shots that largely tie in with Republic's arcs, and the "obsession" mini-series which wrapped up Asajj Ventress's story arc, in a totally different way than Clone Wars and Dark Disciple did.

There's also an interesting Arc Trooper character, Alpha, who was part of the inspiration for Rex.
    Alpha was pretty cool, I loved how he interacted with Obi-Wan and Anakin.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wasn't Rex originally going to be Alpha?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)