Boisterously Confused

Default Your Opinion: How widely was the Emperor known to be a Sith Lord?

Sticking mainly with stuff in the current canon (which I admit, it a bit of a hazy term), how widely do you think it was known that the Palpatine was a force practitioner? Further, how widely was it know that he was AKA Darth Sidious?

In original ANH release, it doesn't seem the Emperor was supposed to be a force adept at all. Later canon revised that, but still in canon was the ANH suggestion that the upper Imperial officer corps regarded Darth Vader as the last of his kind.

Your opinion?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Outside of those in the Emperor's inner circle I don't think many were aware of his abilities and understandably so, his whole power grab was, "I'm just a humble civil servant, look what the Jedi tried to do to me! But, they failed and I'll keep you safe!" which doesn't work if everyone is aware he's just as powerful as the Jedi.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

He doesn't seem too concerned about in ROTJ, where he's chatting with Vader about the force/dark side etc. in the crowded hanger bay, for example.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    He doesn't seem too concerned about in ROTJ, where he's chatting with Vader about the force/dark side etc. in the crowded hanger bay, for example.
    Interesting point. Begs the question: did he grow arrogant as time passed and get sloppy. At the same time, did everyone else grow ignorant, and unable to discern what comments about the force meant?

Tarkin seemed to think Vader was the only one who practiced the force/Sith in ANH, but it's possible he never really knew. A good chunk of his newer EU stuff seems to show him off Coruscant, involved with the Death star or other projects.

I think it's canon that Mas Amedda and Sly Moore knew. Probably the Inquisitors too. Thrawn was smart enough to probably figure it out. Also with Palpatine not only allied with Vader but the Inquisitors, some Imperials probably wandered why the Emperor surrounded himself with so many force sensitives...
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I mean once you're in power who cares?

Whose gonna stop him, especially after A New Hope he dismantled the senate.

He literally has

But if you mean the concept of "Sith Lord" I don't think many do at all because most don't even believe in the Jedi let alone their secretive enemies where there are only TWO.

I don't read the comics or watch the animated series, but do the Inquisitors even know?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I mean once you're in power who cares?

Whose gonna stop him, especially after A New Hope he dismantled the senate.

He literally has

But if you mean the concept of "Sith Lord" I don't think many do at all because most don't even believe in the Jedi let alone their secretive enemies where there are only TWO.

I don't read the comics or watch the animated series, but do the Inquisitors even know?
    I feel like there was a scene of Palpatine overseeing the Inquisitors in the comics but I think Vader dealt more directly with them...maybe other than Grand Inquisitor since I think he's the one who paired him and Vader up and Sidious came up with the Inquisitors to begin with.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like there was a scene of Palpatine overseeing the Inquisitors in the comics but I think Vader dealt more directly with them...maybe other than Grand Inquisitor since I think he's the one who paired him and Vader up and Sidious came up with the Inquisitors to begin with.
    So yeah, it is possible during the Original Trilogy & Prequel Trilogy no one knew.

I mean think about how information travels and all of the choke points where the Emperor could stop it.