Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomSmartA55 View Post
    No truer words have been spoken. Now I gotta be honest sometimes I feel bi girls have it a little easier because no offense. But most straight guys I know would love to have a bi girlfriend. Why? I think you got a good idea.

I have talked to so many bi guys and I lost count at how many said that when they talk to a girl they like and mention they are bi, the usual reaction is “…oh…”

Another is Bernard himself. Of all the guys they could’ve paired him with he is one of the WORST choices they could have made. I literally could make an entire list of better options for Tim.
    What other guys would you pair Tim with?
    I am trying to warm up to the relationship because if I want to read about gay male superheroes I don’t have a whole lot of choices.
    But Bernard wouldn’t have been my choice either.
    I’m Team Tim and Conner but I’d love to hear other choices.

Spectacular Member SomeRandomSmartA55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    What other guys would you pair Tim with?
    I am trying to warm up to the relationship because if I want to read about gay male superheroes I don’t have a whole lot of choices.
    But Bernard wouldn’t have been my choice either.
    I’m Team Tim and Conner but I’d love to hear other choices.
    1) Conner: I mean I’m not blind I know what the internet wants (but I gotta be honest I would much rather have Jon & Damian instead)

2) Sebastian Ives: This is one of Tim’s oldest friends, someone who knew him the early days when Tim became Robin, before he even met Stephanie. There is a comic where Tim and Ives were talking about how Ives never admitted his feeling for their friend Callie. It could easily be reworked for that the reason why was because Ives had feelings for Tim. Plus Ives often gets sick and even had cancer. I would have written a story where Ives’ cancer comes back and he is uncertain about how much time he has. He admits his feeling for Tim and asks him out. Tim accepts but he struggles with whether or not he is doing because he’s sick or because he wants to.

3) Cullen Row: Harper Row’s little brother who was literally introduced as being gay and has a HUGE crush on Tim. He even mentions that he could turn him! I would make it that Cullen was dumped by his boyfriend right before a huge dance. Steph and Tim feel bad so they arrange for Tim to be his date (cuz that’s the kinda guy Tim is!) During the date Cullen makes a move and kisses Tim and Tim doesn’t pull away as quickly as he thought. It causes some tense drama or even comedic moments of the awkwardness between him, Cullen, Steph, & Harper

4) Danny Temple: This is a minor character from Tim’s days at Brentwood Boarding school. However during that time at the boarding school there is a running theme of all these guys having secrets. Danny is revealed to be a “chosen one” for Kobra and Tim has to go after him after he is kidnapped (not unlike Bernard) and this all happened during a time when Tim and Steph were on an off period. They even went on a trip together just the two of them to a beach.

5) Wesley: another guy Tim knew from Brentwood…and they were roommates!

6) Lonnie Machin aka Anarky: this is my bias, but I would totally love to see a romance between a hero and a villain. Like Batman & Catwoman but gay! It’s sounds fun! Plus he kinda had a thing with Steph so love triangle potential

7) Bunker: not a deep idea but another gay hero I could think of
    Last edited by SomeRandomSmartA55; 09-25-2022 at 03:23 PM.

1) Conner: I mean I’m not blind I know what the internet wants (but I gotta be honest I would much rather have Jon & Damian instead)

2) Sebastian Ives: This is one of Tim’s oldest friends, someone who knew him the early days when Tim became Robin, before he even met Stephanie. There is a comic where Tim and Ives were talking about how Ives never admitted his feeling for their friend Callie. It could easily be reworked for that the reason why was because Ives had feelings for Tim. Plus Ives often gets sick and even had cancer. I would have written a story where Ives’ cancer comes back and he is uncertain about how much time he has. He admits his feeling for Tim and asks him out. Tim accepts but he struggles with whether or not he is doing because he’s sick or because he wants to.

3) Cullen Row: Harper Row’s little brother who was literally introduced as being gay and has a HUGE crush on Tim. He even mentions that he could turn him! I would make it that Cullen was dumped by his boyfriend right before a huge dance. Steph and Tim feel bad so they arrange for Tim to be his date (cuz that’s the kinda guy Tim is!) During the date Cullen makes a move and kisses Tim and Tim doesn’t pull away as quickly as he thought. It causes some tense drama or even comedic moments of the awkwardness between him, Cullen, Steph, & Harper

4) Danny Temple: This is a minor character from Tim’s days at Brentwood Boarding school. However during that time at the boarding school there is a running theme of all these guys having secrets. Danny is revealed to be a “chosen one” for Kobra and Tim has to go after him after he is kidnapped (not unlike Bernard) and this all happened during a time when Tim and Steph were on an off period. They even went on a trip together just the two of them to a beach.

6) Lonnie Machin aka Anarky: this is my bias, but I would totally love to see a romance between a hero and a villain. Like Batman & Catwoman but gay! It’s sounds fun! Plus he kinda had a thing with Steph so love triangle potential

Conner and Cullen would have been my choice as well. Conner has more than enough history with Tim to make a relationship seems plausible. Cullen also has enough history with Tim to make it work. Bunker could technically work because they used to be on the same team, but I think he has a boyfriend already?

I did think of Bunker.
    I am a big Tim and Conner fan.
    The biggest problem with pairing Tim with a super powered person is that while it works great in a team book, it really changes the tone of Conner is hanging out in Gotham and taking down street level villains with one hand tied behind his back.
    That’s not to say Tim and Conner couldn’t get a couples book, like a queer World’s Finest.
    I didn’t think about Cullen and I feel kind of dumb for that. Cullen would’ve been a much better choice than Bernard, as he was already openly gay and had an established crush on Tim, and he has other Bat connections through Harper. That could actually still happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    Conner and Cullen would have been my choice as well. Conner has more than enough history with Tim to make a relationship seems plausible. Cullen also has enough history with Tim to make it work. Bunker could technically work because they used to be on the same team, but I think he has a boyfriend already?
    Bunker has a boyfriend. That could be resolved easily enough if a writer wanted to free him up.

The only reason I'd be against Tim and Conner dating is I hate when characters in the same friend group date only each other. Feels too teen drama-like.

How old is Cullen? That's a decent idea.

Anarky is inspired and having one of the BatBoys reflect Bruce's most iconic coupling would be interesting. Although, I guess to some extent that's Damian and Flatline currently. I'm not against this entirely.

Bunker came to mind initially also. Although he was always my pick to pair with Aqualad.

And, when it comes to former backup characters for Tim I didn't see Bernard being the one chosen, but I haven't read the run in awhile.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Those are some pretty good options, and damn, I completely forgot about Cullen but that could honestly work. Makes you wonder how of all characters, Bernards name was the one that got pulled out of the hat to be Tim's new love interest.

Bunker is an interesting option as well, maybe a relationship with Tim could help bring more attention to the character, plus, he was also on a team with Tim so you can have some in built history and rapport between them. And if I recall correctly, it was actually Bunker who took Tim to his first pride parade. Although at the time I think Tim attended as simply an ally, I feel as though a decent writer could have gone back to use that event, and perhaps even recontextualize it as a small moment of self discovery for Tim.
    Last edited by RedBird; 09-25-2022 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Those are some pretty good options, and damn, I completely forgot about Cullen but that could honestly work. Makes you wonder how of all characters, Bernards name was the one that got pulled out of the hat to be Tim's new love interest.

Bunker is an interesting option as well, maybe a relationship with Tim could help bring more attention to the character, plus, he was also on a team with Tim so you can have some in built history and rapport between them. And if I recall correctly, it was actually Bunker who took Tim to his first pride parade. Although at the time I think Tim attended as simply an ally, I feel as though a decent writer could have gone back to use that event, and perhaps even recontextualize it as a small moment of self discovery for Tim.
    I know they could have chosen any of those characters I mentioned or he’ll even make up a new but nope they chose this rando who only had like 6 appearances, his most defining characteristic is that he was a weirdo conspiracy theorist, and he took nearly an ENITRE PAGE talking about how hot Tim’s stepmom is! Ugh, just why?

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/JUuO-XXx0k...7X7c9K6t=s1600

Ultimate Member

I know they could have chosen any of those characters I mentioned or he’ll even make up a new but nope they chose this rando who only had like 6 appearances, his most defining characteristic is that he was a weirdo conspiracy theorist, and he took nearly an ENITRE PAGE talking about how hot Tim’s stepmom is! Ugh, just why?

Probably because some of those other guys like Sebastian share creators who are no longer at DC and might not be on the best terms with DC.

Sebastian, Hudson, Hudman, Ben and Danny while all Tim's old classmates at school share Chuck Dixon as their creators with the first 3 also having the late Tom Lyle as their artist.

Bernard's creator is currently at DC. Doing the Fables book series.

I don’t understand how weirdo pervert Bernard got revamped into this sweetie pie femme boyfriend, but I have read he had a big fan fiction presence as a romantic partner for Tim.
    Why I have no idea.

I don’t understand how weirdo pervert Bernard got revamped into this sweetie pie femme boyfriend, but I have read he had a big fan fiction presence as a romantic partner for Tim.
    Why I have no idea.
    well it explains one thing, a lot of Fitzmartin's writings feel like someone who only read fanfics or wikipedia pages rather than the actual comics; so if Bernard had a big fanfic presence that explains that.

But I also agree, why would anyone ever pair Tim up with him?! Tim can do better (and has done better)

Mighty Member

well it explains one thing, a lot of Fitzmartin's writings feel like someone who only read fanfics or wikipedia pages rather than the actual comics; so if Bernard had a big fanfic presence that explains that.

But I also agree, why would anyone ever pair Tim up with him?! Tim can do better (and has done better)
    Why I have no idea.

Simple answer: He's a white blonde boy and he would look "cute" with Tim.

While I would have resisted it tooth and nail (remember that I strongly prefer Tim being straight), I think Cullen Rowe would have made for a much better choice for Tim's first male love interest. Especially if it had been built up gradually: bring Harper back as Bluebird and have her develop friendships with Tim, Stephanie, and Cass; this would give her a chance to be fleshed out further, and would provide a reason to bring Cullen back, too. In both cases, tell stories about them that flesh or other aspects of their characters besides their sexuality (one reason I like Batwoman it's because she's a soldier — or Y least has the mentality of a soldier — and that gives you more to work with than just her being a lesbian. And she's Bruce's cousin. And so on and so forth. While I ended up rooting for her and Maggie Sawyer to tie the knot, I don't think I could have gotten there if the book had been primarily about their relationship.

But I'm going off on a tangent. My point was that proper development could have earned Bluebird a place in Time circle of vigilante friends, and Cullen a permanent spot in his supporting cast. If we're get more stories emphasizing that there's more to Cullen than just “the annoying kid who's always hitting on Tim”, so that the reader truly starts to like him for who he is, not just for how he articulates with Tim, I could see Tim setting those same qualities and really getting to like Cullen.

And then at some point, that “like” edges over to “like-like” without Tim realizing it. Tim's still dating Stephanie, and she's the one who picks up on what's happening first. Which leads to an awkward bit of drama where she's first struggling with her own feelings about the matter, and then whether or not she should confront Tim about this and if so, how. Will Tim be happier if he accepts that he's bi, or will he feel guilty, like he's cheating on Stephanie? Does [i<]Stephanie[/I] feel like Tim's subconsciously cheating on her? Etc. I could see, after some struggles, her finally putting her foot down, telling Tim that he should at least give Cullen a shot, and breaking up with him so that she won't be in the way of Tim's self-discovery. (They would both be heartbroken in the immediate aftermath, of course; but if Tim respects Stephanie at all, he would have to move on and see if he and Cullen are a good fit.)

Again, I probably would have opposed that, too; I really don't like Tim being bisexual. But from where I'm standing right now, that would have been a world better than what we got with Bernard. It certainly would have felt a lot more genuine.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 09-25-2022 at 08:27 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

I personally didn't want Tim to be bi at all either (this is coming from a bi guy, which I hate having to constantly mention but I kinda feel obligated to), I would have much rather have it be Jason or Damian. But since they chose Tim, it's not the worst idea, but it's far from the best. It has potential, but ultimately I want him to be with Stephanie. Jason or Damian would have been far superior options in my opinion
    Last edited by SomeRandomSmartA55; 09-25-2022 at 08:36 PM.

Like I said, I don't want him to be bi at all, either. And my endgame in the above bit of fanfic would be for Tim to date Cullen for a bit, realize that he is attracted to Cullen and that he's comfortable with that, but also realize that he doesn't love Cullen; Stephanie still holds that place in his heart.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.