Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Young Justice Dark Crisis

Young Justice Dark Crisis

Just read the first volume of this series and I am incredibly annoyed and disappointed by it.

1.I HATE the designs of the 4, they look MUCH younger than they were at the end of Pre-Flashpoint and much younger as their counterparts Jonathan, Yara etc.

2. They get humiliated during the whole issue, first by Cassie who comments on the other three, then by Nightwing, Jonathan and Wally who aren’t interested in finding them.

3.There are still some continuity issues in it-it seems that Cassie and Red Robin now didn’t have said to Conner that they kissed each other. Because it was spoken about a secret which should never come out.

4.They are actually one of the most experienced Superheroes and should take the lead, but they are displayed as being unable to react and being immature, while Jonathan, Nightwing etc. can take the lead.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post

Just read the first volume of this series and I am incredibly annoyed and disappointed by it.

1.I HATE the designs of the 4, they look MUCH younger than they were at the end of Pre-Flashpoint and much younger as their counterparts Jonathan, Yara etc.

2. They get humiliated during the whole issue, first by Cassie who comments on the other three, then by Nightwing, Jonathan and Wally who aren’t interested in finding them.

3.There are still some continuity issues in it-it seems that Cassie and Red Robin now didn’t have said to Conner that they kissed each other. Because it was spoken about a secret which should never come out.

4.They are actually one of the most experienced Superheroes and should take the lead, but they are displayed as being unable to react and being immature, while Jonathan, Nightwing etc. can take the lead.
    Wally was really out of character, came off as a huge jerk.

Nightwing and Jon not chipping in to help find Impulse, Tim and Kon was disappointing, but not out of character considering what they're dealing with.

Just a little rant:

This book is SO bad! Seriously, it's almost painful to read. And the worst part? I'm pretty sure that Meghan Fitzmartin will keep failing upwards and getting more work at DC. Because "diversity" or something like that.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

My only complaints are really arrowette’s characterization and the art. I’m fine with the story idea, the references to past crises really screwing the Young Justice characters, and the story on the fake earth is pretty okay.

As for the other characters, I mean we are dealing with a situation where everything’s gone to hell because of Pariah and Deathstroke and considering only three characters with the ability to run off disappeared I can see why they wouldn’t immediately look for them. They didn’t say screw them, they just assumed they ran off to grieve. Maybe it could have been handled better but I wouldn’t call it humiliating.

It’s kind of a C+/B-, it’s not terrible but could be better.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    Just a little rant:

This book is SO bad! Seriously, it's almost painful to read. And the worst part? I'm pretty sure that Meghan Fitzmartin will keep failing upwards and getting more work at DC. Because "diversity" or something like that.
    Failing upwards? The biggest example of that I have seen in comics recently is Geoff Johns who after screwing over the comics and the film divisions was actually given millions AND a cushy producer deal. We don't have to be sure about that; we watched it happen.

So what was behind that upward failure or the other thousands of examples from the Ol Boys Network, Thomas Crown?

I'm happy to see what story wants to be told here and I've only read 2 issues so can't get a read on exactly what this story will be....

At this point I'm hoping things turn around and get more exciting and less preachy.

3.5 out of 5 stars but I still see potential for a good story here so it's definitely still on my pull as are all Dark Crisis issues and tie ins.

Dark Crisis related materials are still consistently the first things I read when I get my new hand full of comics each week. So I'm still super curious to read this storyline.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Failing upwards? The biggest example of that I have seen in comics recently is Geoff Johns who after screwing over the comics and the film divisions was actually given millions AND a cushy producer deal. We don't have to be sure about that; we watched it happen.

So what was behind that upward failure or the other thousands of examples from the Ol Boys Network, Thomas Crown?
    Could be the Ol Boys network.
    Johns could also have a kick ass agent and lawyer or it could be diversity. Johns is of part Lebanese ancestry isn't he? Fans often ignore that about the writer. wonder why?

Hopefully with things so dire at DC right now creatives and suits will be rewarded based on merit/value added to the company.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 08-07-2022 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post

The last point is a bit harsh. YJ are trapped just like the JL. DC's most experienced team. Immaturity has nothing to do with it.

I do agree that some characterisations have been off.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Could be the Ol Boys network.
    Johns could also have a kick ass agent and lawyer or it could be diversity. Johns is of part Lebanese ancestry isn't he? Fans often ignore that about the writer. wonder why?

Hopefully with things so dire at DC right now creatives and suits will be rewarded based on merit/value added to the company.
    Because that hatred is selective.
    It's not ALL creatives of color or women that get attack or bashed.

Folks are going OFF about Fitzmartin's writing of Tim. With very few defending her work.

Meanwhile Black Panther is being trashed in his own book with writer after writer who OPENLY dislike him getting hired. Folks who have read and do NOT like the book are being bashed as fake fans.

And that book is outselling FLASH, Dark Crisis Young Justice & every Batman title (except for Nightwing, Poison Ivy, Detective, Joker & main Batman book).

How many editors were straight you know whats that was so toxic folks never returned?

Marc Bernardin left comics because Harvey Richards was down right toxic to him.
    Sean McKeever left too.
    Burnside Batgirl team left due to editors.

So when that happens you end up a ton of books by Scott Lobdell.
    JT Krul? Did he EVER have a successful book?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because that hatred is selective.
    It's not ALL creatives of color or women that get attack or bashed.

Folks are going OFF about Fitzmartin's writing of Tim. With very few defending her work.

Meanwhile Black Panther is being trashed in his own book with writer after writer who OPENLY dislike him getting hired. Folks who have read and do NOT like the book are being bashed as fake fans.

And that book is outselling FLASH, Dark Crisis Young Justice & every Batman title (except for Nightwing, Poison Ivy, Detective, Joker & main Batman book).
    Why should anyone defend her? Her work should be her rebuttal.

She got paid that's the contract. her writing of Tim, the batfamily and YJ has been off. There are numerous contradictions to past stories and events. That's not subjective. That is facts. We have the Yj comics to show this.

She failed to deliver the bare minimum of the job she was paid to do. That's without commenting on how enjoyable or well crafted the stories are.

That's the basics and she's made errors that fans have pointed out.

Fans have the right to critic the content they pay for. Our spends pay her wages. so as long as it civil and professional.

I don't know what Black Panther has to do with this.

It sucks that the big two try so hard to knee cap some of their own IP's. DC is replacing a mixed race Robin whose solo is selling well that they have demonised for years now.

You are correct. That hatred is selective.

I don't know why I still give these companies my money after so many disappointments and so much BS.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Not sure when screwed over the comics, but stuff like that is typical when want get rid of highly paid executives before their contract is up.

I think Amy Pascall got a similar deal, some of the ones that where now had to leave WB after the merger have likely also gotten something like that.

And honestly with the film division is is really hard to say who screwed up what, since everybody who came in inherited stuff already production from the previous people in charge. I'm not even sure if Jones was in charge long enough for any movie to be completely produced under his regime.

This book quite frankly might be the worst being printed by DC right now.
    It's right there with Teen Titans Academy as the one of worst books of the year.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Honestly I don’t tend to ding continuity mistakes unless they are massive. I just see it as the natural mistake one makes when continuity has been shifted so many times in the last two decades. And things like Cassie whether or not they told Conner she kissed Tim is one that feels a little small in context given it was a kiss that happened a decade ago and nothing really came out of it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honestly I don’t tend to ding continuity mistakes unless they are massive. I just see it as the natural mistake one makes when continuity has been shifted so many times in the last two decades. And things like Cassie whether or not they told Conner she kissed Tim is one that feels a little small in context given it was a kiss that happened a decade ago and nothing really came out of it.
    The thing is given how Fitzmartin says she wants to address Tim potentially having feelings for Kon here, it's pretty clear she made the retcon about the kiss for the sake of drama which is lazy and reeks of fanfiction.

Overall this series is just not good. Characters are off (e.g. Bart feeling closer to Barry then Wally which isn't true at all), retcons are made for the sake of the story which completely undermine characters, the writing is ham-fisted and poor,and it tries to make meta commentary but to do so it constructs a strawman of the past to do so which makes it come across as pointless.

To quote other people:

A lot of the issues with the 90's that are legit didn't really even apply to the OG Young Justice team to quote some things I've found:

"Any valid analysis of a work should be rooted in the actual text itself, if Fitzmartin trying to craft a meta narrative around a past that blatantly didn't happen then what exactly is she even critiquing at that point? That the male members of YJ are inherently toxic and privileged because that's just how boys are? That's kind of fucked and hell even just within the context of her own series doesn't make much sense as none of them have displayed such traits."

"No ones saying sexism and male privilege isn't a thing but Fitzmartin fabricating a dilemma that never existed, as other's have said Cissie left due her therapist being murdered by a jealous ex-boyfriend who in turn Cissie almost killed in revenge and retired because she was horrified that in that moment she had gotten so close to the edge not because the guys on her team were apparently toxic."

https://twitter.com/NotYoshihide/sta...47723584970754

https://twitter.com/greenarrxws_/sta...33453358891011

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    The thing is given how Fitzmartin says she wants to address Tim potentially having feelings for Kon here, it's pretty clear she made the retcon about the kiss for the sake of drama which is lazy and reeks of fanfiction.

Overall this series is just not good. Characters are off (e.g. Bart feeling closer to Barry then Wally which isn't true at all), retcons are made for the sake of the story which completely undermine characters, the writing is ham-fisted and poor,and it tries to make meta commentary but to do so it constructs a strawman of the past to do so which makes it come across as pointless.

To quote other people:

A lot of the issues with the 90's that are legit didn't really even apply to the OG Young Justice team to quote some things I've found:

"Any valid analysis of a work should be rooted in the actual text itself, if Fitzmartin trying to craft a meta narrative around a past that blatantly didn't happen then what exactly is she even critiquing at that point? That the male members of YJ are inherently toxic and privileged because that's just how boys are? That's kind of fucked and hell even just within the context of her own series doesn't make much sense as none of them have displayed such traits."

"No ones saying sexism and male privilege isn't a thing but Fitzmartin fabricating a dilemma that never existed, as other's have said Cissie left due her therapist being murdered by a jealous ex-boyfriend who in turn Cissie almost killed in revenge and retired because she was horrified that in that moment she had gotten so close to the edge not because the guys on her team were apparently toxic."

https://twitter.com/NotYoshihide/sta...47723584970754

https://twitter.com/greenarrxws_/sta...33453358891011
    I get that, it just doesn't personally bother me. I've seen worse and I can live with this.

Like I said it's not horrible, but there are many things that could be better
    Words to live by.