Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    But the shots that were taken are from Mickey Mxyzptlk perspective and his fake universe and trickery...

Isn't it?
    It would be the case if most of the shots being thrown at the original run weren't coming from Cissie's mouth in the regular universe.

Also, this line of thinking doesn't really make sense when the villain is a fanboy that thinks that the original YJ run is the perfect universe.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

DARK CRISIS: YOUNG JUSTICE #6
    Written by MEGHAN FITZMARTIN
    Art by LAURA BRAGA
    Cover by MAX DUNBAR
    Variant cover by TODD NAUCK
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | 6 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 11/15/22
    Superboy, Robin, Impulse, Wonder Girl, Arrowette, and Red Tornado are all reunited, but is it too late for them to face down the unmitigated and unhinged power of Mickey Mxyzptlk? Young Justice will have to let their old wounds heal quickly if they're going to escape from Mickey's fake universe and rejoin the real DCU to help join the final battle of Dark Crisis!

By the way, the JSA announcements yesterday explain why Secret's not involved, as well as why Stargirl seems to be missing from Dark Crisis - they're both involved in a Stargirl mini that was supposed to be published last year.
    Wow! Talk about a blast from the past! As a Young Justice fan this tickles me! Robin, Superboy, Impulse, Wonder Girl, Red Tornado, and Cissie front and center, (She's not Arrowette unless in the costume) and that big fanservice cover with Empress, Slobo, and Secret! I personally love that they put Cissie in her school uniform as that became her default look after "retiring" and they even have her overbearing mother in the corner too. What more could I ask for Young Justice?

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It would be the case if most of the shots being thrown at the original run weren't coming from Cissie's mouth in the regular universe.

Also, this line of thinking doesn't really make sense when the villain is a fanboy that thinks that the original YJ run is the perfect universe.
    If (and it's a big honkin' if, I'll grant) it turns out that Micky Mxy is not only responsible for the transparently awful weirdoverise that Kon, Bart, and Tim are in, but is also responsible for the "way OOC" behavior on Cissie's part, it would kinda sorta makes sense.

1) Mickey Mxy is a whipping boy for "toxic incel fanboys," who adore the past uncritically, like all the wrong things about it ("Mighty Endowed, hyuk hyuk"), and have real problems with women.
    2) As such, he's created this weirdoverse for the male members of YJ, where Tim's not really bi, they get to stare at big-boobed women, and they have the opportunity to cathartically blow away the super-villains that forced them to grow up. It's icky and weird.
    3) In this scenario, Mickey also has some dumb attitudes about what "woke" women are like. In order to distract Cassie, he puts cliched talking points into Cissie's mouth (all that froufrah about YJ only fighting the oppressed and downtrodden, the totally forced pronoun introduction of a character that will likely never be seen again, the absolutely rubbish explanation of why she left YJ in the first place, etc.), figuring that that's exactly the kind of thing that a dumb ol' girl like Cassie will buy into. It's also icky and weird.
    4) If the story goes this way, Cassie (detective that she apparently now is) will start picking up on the weirdness in the next issue.

But, like I said, it's a big honkin' "if." There's at least an 83% chance that Cissie's weirdness isn't the result of 5th dimensional shenanigans, but is instead the result of plain old bad writing.

Which would be a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Wow! Talk about a blast from the past! As a Young Justice fan this tickles me! Robin, Superboy, Impulse, Wonder Girl, Red Tornado, and Cissie front and center, (She's not Arrowette unless in the costume) and that big fanservice cover with Empress, Slobo, and Secret! I personally love that they put Cissie in her school uniform as that became her default look after "retiring" and they even have her overbearing mother in the corner too. What more could I ask for Young Justice?
    A good story line?

Nostalgia and Fanservice are great but surly the thing that matters is the story and the characterisation.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    If (and it's a big honkin' if, I'll grant) it turns out that Micky Mxy is not only responsible for the transparently awful weirdoverise that Kon, Bart, and Tim are in, but is also responsible for the "way OOC" behavior on Cissie's part, it would kinda sorta makes sense.

1) Mickey Mxy is a whipping boy for "toxic incel fanboys," who adore the past uncritically, like all the wrong things about it ("Mighty Endowed, hyuk hyuk"), and have real problems with women.
    2) As such, he's created this weirdoverse for the male members of YJ, where Tim's not really bi, they get to stare at big-boobed women, and they have the opportunity to cathartically blow away the super-villains that forced them to grow up. It's icky and weird.
    3) In this scenario, Mickey also has some dumb attitudes about what "woke" women are like. In order to distract Cassie, he puts cliched talking points into Cissie's mouth (all that froufrah about YJ only fighting the oppressed and downtrodden, the totally forced pronoun introduction of a character that will likely never be seen again, the absolutely rubbish explanation of why she left YJ in the first place, etc.), figuring that that's exactly the kind of thing that a dumb ol' girl like Cassie will buy into. It's also icky and weird.
    4) If the story goes this way, Cassie (detective that she apparently now is) will start picking up on the weirdness in the next issue.

But, like I said, it's a big honkin' "if." There's at least an 83% chance that Cissie's weirdness isn't the result of 5th dimensional shenanigans, but is instead the result of plain old bad writing.

Which would be a shame.

On twitter Fitzmartin is praising Cissie's dialouge so that is your answer.

Mighty Member

Also what is the point of taking potshots at a strawman or fake version of what the original run?

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    On twitter Fitzmartin is praising Cissie's dialouge so that is your answer.

Also what is the point of taking potshots at a strawman or fake version of what the original run?
    (wanders briefly to the hellhole that is Twitter)
    Eh, I'd say she's been mostly noncommittal. But like I say, it's a big "if." It's most likely just bad writing, which is sad.

And yeah, the potshots at a strawman version of the original run could be funny as a joke for about one issue. But dragged out as they are, even if they did turn out to be a head fake, it wouldn't exactly be a sign of deft plotting.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    (wanders briefly to the hellhole that is Twitter)
    Eh, I'd say she's been mostly noncommittal. But like I say, it's a big "if." It's most likely just bad writing, which is sad.

And yeah, the potshots at a strawman version of the original run could be funny as a joke for about one issue. But dragged out as they are, even if they did turn out to be a head fake, it wouldn't exactly be a sign of deft plotting.

She likes tweets of people praising Cissie's dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    She likes tweets of people praising Cissie's dialogue.
    That one's fair. Still, it could also just be "retweeting someone who likes my work."

But yeah, I'm straw-grasping at this point

Astonishing Member

I had the first issue of Young Justice. I missed Mighty Endowed.

Mighty Member

This entire series is trying to do a meta commentary but in doing so it is ignoring a lot of character development and history to make the point which makes it come across as regression, mean spirited and outright bad fanfic. The series retcons things and makes up new issues while barely explaining them yet acts like these characters have been struggling with said issues for years which makes it hard to seriously feel or buy.

I mean the whole Tim and Conner drama is eyerolling as they already dealt with the issues of Conner's death and kissing Cassie so bringing it back up and making a big deal around it is annoying. I mean this issue makes it clear Fitzmartin is doing it to push for a potential Timkon. Tim's rant to Conner felt like a tumblr post about why all the reason Tim was in love with Conner or something. It's also tumblr esque how in the same series that is exploring Tim/Kon while Tim is in a relationship, Timsteph was being bashed and not to mention Tim is showing more thought and reflection/looking back on potential feelings for Conner than he did with Steph in this series and in the Pride special where all we got as a vague overview of his relationship with Steph.

The thing with Bart feeling ignored and not respected by the Flash family and Tim and Conner is also jarring as well as the Flash's especially Wally did come around to treating Bart as an equal with respect. Also Bart's death did devestate Tim and Cassie. Tim was the one who got the call of his death in the Flash issue where he died and was shown dropping the phone and crumpling on the floor. There was a Flash issue where the Titans were at his funeral and Tim and Cassie made a speech with Cassie vowing to hunt the Rogues. There was a Teen Titans issue dedicated to Bart where Tim spent all night looking at his statue and cried due to not being able to tell Bart how much he respected and admired him and it was shown evil future Tim would clone Bart. Not to mention when Bart came back, Tim was also happy and listed Bart as a close second to Conner as a best friend and Tim also spent time helping Bart in training and when he was dealing with trauma from Inertia.

The stuff with Cisse and Cassie again only works if you ignore how Cissie kept in touch with Cassie and was friends with her throughout YJ and in Teen Titans as well where Cisse helped Cassie get into a new school and it showed they kept in touch. She was always down to talk with Cassie and be there for her. Also Cassie or any of the Titans expressed the fear they would end up dead in the statue room and she never tried to talk to Cissie about this or even hinted that she wanted to, so just dropping this feels incredibly manufactured and fake. Cassie was never shown feeling isolated and alone even in Teen Titans. Cassie talked with Tim, Donna and Kara about how Conner's death and they all tried to make sure she was okay and check with her especially Donna. It feels like forced teen drama that pits two girls against each other when the original YJ subverted that cliche......

Also why the hell was Empress listed as one of their villains?????? Some people think it is Myx altering things but given Bart's lack of reaction to it when he's the one who has been noticing all the changes, I think it was meant to be a legit recap of their rogues....
    Last edited by NOCTPHOENIX; 09-20-2022 at 10:08 AM.

Astonishing Member

Oh well it's the latest continuity for them

This keep being horrible.
    Tim Drake is screwed.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

This keep being horrible.
    Tim Drake is screwed.
    Everyone is being screwed, Fitzmartin is trying to justify the dumb writing choices of previous writers by claiming it was necessary to 'mature YJ and make them grow. It actually derailed them.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Everyone is being screwed, Fitzmartin is trying to justify the dumb writing choices of previous writers by claiming it was necessary to 'mature YJ and make them grow. It actually derailed them.
    Yeah, but he is the one that get to have this writer on his next ongoing series.
    That's what i'm talking about.