Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conner Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    I've gone over this in other threads, but there have been more instances than you can count of a "raging heterosexual" actually being secretly gay to overcompensate. It's not out of the bounds of plausibility. Just look at Bobby Drake/Iceman.
    1. that like a massively small majority of homosexual who actual like most of the time it due to society taboo and pressure that results in them being closeted. What exactly make conner be closeted? nothing that make sense

2. Conner has been shown to be heterosexual even after the 90s hound dog era and actually got into a stable relationship with Cassie so you can't say oh it overcompensation when it him genuine shown heterosexual feeling for a female. There nothing that indicate that he gay and him "coming out the closet" would be out the blue

3. The Ice-man/Bobby is a bad example as that development came from the homophobic foundation of "He must be gay since he could never be in stable heterosexual relationship" & Jean Grey reading his mind and immediate outs him because of some "gay thoughts". So if they going to do gay conner that the absolute last thing he need is to be compare to that train wreak

Quote Originally Posted by Venomized-spider-man View Post
    1. that like a massively small majority of homosexual who actual like most of the time it due to society taboo and pressure that results in them being closeted. What exactly make conner be closeted? nothing that make sense

2. Conner has been shown to be heterosexual even after the 90s hound dog era and actually got into a stable relationship with Cassie so you can't say oh it overcompensation when it him genuine shown heterosexual feeling for a female. There nothing that indicate that he gay and him "coming out the closet" would be out the blue

3. The Ice-man/Bobby is a bad example as that development came from the homophobic foundation of "He must be gay since he could never be in stable heterosexual relationship" & Jean Grey reading his mind and immediate outs him because of some "gay thoughts". So if they going to do gay conner that the absolute last thing he need is to be compare to that train wreak
    What would make Conner be closeted? Social pressure, the same as everyone else.
    Conner was always very concerned over his image, and being seen as a big shot hero. He didn't want to be Superboy, he wanted to be Superman. It seems believable to me that Conner would repress his interest in men if he thought it would hurt his popularity.
    That's not to say his interest in women couldn't still be valid if he was bi/pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sometimes dudes are just horny and aren’t secretly gay, no matter how much you wish they were. Like Tony Stark for example, someone else who a lot of people wish was gay and in a relationship with Cap. You have plenty of fanfic to read at least.
    It might surprise you to know that Marvel has hinted at Tony Stark being bi. He's been seen with a man and a woman sleeping in his bed after a night of partying. Made a public announcement he deleted his dating apps saying "Sorry ladies and gentlemen"

Having a public heterosexual history doesn't preclude someone being bi or gay. Actress Meredith Baxter had three ex husbands before she came out as a lesbian in her sixties.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Don't bother. The whiny, phobic replies always swarm in whenever someone brings this up.

Getting Conner a new series would be a great chance to explore him being bi or pansexual though.
    I don't think taking him back to Hawaii would be the best move though. He left there for a reason.
    I'd set him up in California. Maybe LA specifically for a home base but not staying there all the time. Plenty of space to explore his own identity both as 'Superboy' and as 'Conner' and make a mark for himself in the eyes of the general public in universe. Definitely have him get into some new skills and hobbies outside superheroics. And take care of some problems besides just supervillains and disasters.
    A new codename sounds nice and all but in the end I don't think it would work. Most fan-names I've run across either sound too bland or unwieldy. And we don't want to give DC any more excuses or openings to erase Kon's connection to the Super-family and leave him out of stuff. He should either stick with Superboy or jump up to Superman.
    I do think he needs a costume redesign. Nothing radical like the terrible Nu52 tron suit or lazy like a t-shirt and jeans or just copying Clark's suit but taking some of his older costumes and giving them a modern twist could work.
    He could use a supporting cast...as doomed as they'd likely be to fade into comic limbo (that's just how things go)...but maybe like a non-super friend or two, a fellow crime fighter (thinking someone new or a C or D lister teen hero making a return) as his standard cast. Perhaps bring back Dubbilex as well. Not as a guardian or mentor but just a friend/support. That's not to say cut him off from the YJ crew, they should definitely still be connected to Kon. A couple guest appearances in his book here and there. Have them get together as a proper team in a different book though. They shouldn't be a constant appearance but Kon texting his friends or say calling Tim when a Gotham baddie comes up or sending a message Cassie's way when some mythological mishap happens should happen. And I'd have the other Supers keep their distance...at least physically so they don't overshadow Kon's solo act. Sure have them hop over for crossovers and family stuff but them guest appearing (at least for anything Superheroic) should be even less frequent than Kon's other friends.
    I don't think he's ever lost his TTK. Writers just stopped using it for some reason. It got brought up pre-nu52, even getting confirmed as not needing a Yellow Sunlight charge to work. Its definitely something I'd explore, Kon using his TTK more combined with the standard Kryptonian powerset. Finding ways to weave them together as well as figuring out more to do with his TTK itself.

One thing I think could be something for Kon to get involved with...dealing with the Match situation. Guy started degrading after getting Jokerized, turned into a crappy Bizarro clone, used and abused, killed off panel by Prime, dissected and cloned by Zookeeper (if I remember right), and then ended up in that dumpster fire of a Suicide Squad book as mass produced, horribly abused clones for Waller. Kon maybe tracking down all his wayward clone 'brothers' and dealing with that whole mess could be something interesting to get into.
    Just because we like the path a character is on (be it sexuality, religion or what he likes on his pizza), does not mean we are phobic because we like his path. I like Kon straight. Makes sense to me. Don’t make he phobic, makes me like what’s been done the past almost 30 years since Adventures of Superman 500.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Don't bother. The whiny, phobic replies always swarm in whenever someone brings this up.
    “Indulge my headcanon that has no basis in fact and is outright contradicted by actual comic panels or you hate LGBT people” is the kind of behavior that belongs on Twitter. Conner isn’t gay or bi. He’s never had any romantic interest in Tim. Any claims to the contrary are TimKon fanfic that exists only in shippers heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    What would make Conner be closeted? Social pressure, the same as everyone else.
    Conner was always very concerned over his image, and being seen as a big shot hero. He didn't want to be Superboy, he wanted to be Superman. It seems believable to me that Conner would repress his interest in men if he thought it would hurt his popularity.
    That's not to say his interest in women couldn't still be valid if he was bi/pan.
    He never repressed himself at the start of his career, and how would he even know about “social” pressure? His knowledge came from being telepathically implanted with memories! Did they make sure to let him know being gay was wrong or something? They certainly didn’t seem to have implanted many social cues given how he acted at the start of his career.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    It might surprise you to know that Marvel has hinted at Tony Stark being bi. He's been seen with a man and a woman sleeping in his bed after a night of partying. Made a public announcement he deleted his dating apps saying "Sorry ladies and gentlemen"

Having a public heterosexual history doesn't preclude someone being bi or gay. Actress Meredith Baxter had three ex husbands before she came out as a lesbian in her sixties.
    A one off gag does not a sexuality change make. Tony is still straight. And you don’t even have that much for Conner. He’s only ever been with women and he’s only ever wanted to be with women. None of his creators ever wrote him with the intent of him repressing his sexuality. You guys have this fanon version of Conner that only exists in your heads and you get really angry when people point that out. Wattpad slash fics aren’t canon or even accurate to Conner.

If having heterosexual sex and only wanting heterosexual sex doesn’t preclude someone from being gay, then there’s no reason Bruce isn’t gay. Or Clark. Or Arthur. Or literally anyone going by your logic. Oh this character only ever expressed interest in women? In fact even telepaths searching through their mental psyches or magicians examining the souls never saw any hint that they were repressing their sexuality before? Well they were actually repressing it SO HARD that not even telepathy and magic could pick up on it!

That’s an asspull meant to justify retconning characters like Iceman and Tim Drake to have had different sexualities than originally intended. Iceman was not secretly gay this whole time and they just managed to reveal this. Tim wasn’t secretly bi this whole time either, Dixon is explicitly against the change, but the Batfamily hasn’t had a male gay member and Tim has drifted without direction for so long that DC decided he could be retconned to be bi in order to serve as rep and gain a new audience. Those are still retcons however, not stories that the original creators of the characters envisioned while creating them.

You guys got Jon as the mlm Superfamily member. I doubt you’ll get Conner. If you do then fine, that will be canon and you can talk about it. But this annoying insistence on shoving your headcanon into discussions about the canon incarnation of the character isn’t something others have to indulge. Keep this thread, OP keeps cranking out variations on this exact thread with barely any variation despite their being a Conner appreciation thread already, so you guys can discuss your fanfic here I guess, but leave the actual Appreciation thread alone for discussing the character as he exists currently (straight).
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-05-2022 at 11:30 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Lol yeah it’s the same basic thread, why keep making new ones instead of just bumping this one?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol yeah it’s the same basic thread, why keep making new ones instead of just bumping this one?

or use the damn appreciation thread
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    or use the damn appreciation thread
    Why ruin the appreciation thread with this discussion? It should be about celebrating the character.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Why ruin the appreciation thread with this discussion? It should be about celebrating the character.

appreciation threads are for all talk on a character. if you start making a thread for every idea you have,they turn into this type of thread.

1 stop spots are more convenient imo
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    appreciation threads are for all talk on a character. if you start making a thread for every idea you have,they turn into this type of thread.

1 stop spots are more convenient imo
    Not really what I call appreciation though. You'll just turn folks away.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Not really what I call appreciation though. You'll just turn folks away.

They still come, mostly when something pops up, but it's fans spit balling ideas, can get more appreciated than that