Default Catching up on Guardians. (For Flash!)

I've never been fussed about reading Guardians of the Galaxy. They seem like cool comics and all but for whatever reason I've never tried them out.

But I have read all of agent venom and most of the stuff Flash has been in so far (Spider island, carnage etc). I still want to keep up with Flash's story so now I'll be getting the guardians issues that he's in. But I don't want to just drop into the middle of a story, I'd like to atleast somewhat understand what's going on.

Whats the best way to catch up to the point where Flash joins the guardians? I was thinking of starting by picking up the trades for the current guardians series, will that be enough?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Just picking up #14 should be enough I think. That is unless you want to know the team history a bit. If yes, just get DnA's run (it's awesome)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Just picking up #14 should be enough I think. That is unless you want to know the team history a bit. If yes, just get DnA's run (it's awesome)
    I would like to get some background and some stuff on where the story is up to now. I afraid I dont know what the DnA run is, fill me in ? I was thinking of picking up the trades of the more recent series (though I know they generate a lot of mixed opinions).

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CartooN View Post
    I would like to get some background and some stuff on where the story is up to now. I afraid I dont know what the DnA run is, fill me in ? I was thinking of picking up the trades of the more recent series (though I know they generate a lot of mixed opinions).
    DnA's run (Dan Abnett's run) was the GotG title that spawned out of Annihilation which where the current team was formed. Abnett's run is very fun and just great cosmic adventure, it lasted for 28 issues. It's a recommendation for me but you could also just pick up Bendis' run but that won't give much origin of the team altough it's not a bad idea to start there
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I really didn't like the way issue 14 read. It was like I missed and issue or two between issues 13 and 14. Venom is suddenly on the team and out in space, Angela is gone, Captain Marvel is involved, and the team is all over the place. Maybe they covered it all in the recap page since I usually don't read them, but it was confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I really didn't like the way issue 14 read. It was like I missed and issue or two between issues 13 and 14. Venom is suddenly on the team and out in space, Angela is gone, Captain Marvel is involved, and the team is all over the place. Maybe they covered it all in the recap page since I usually don't read them, but it was confusing.
    You actually did miss an issue, believe it or not. The Free Comic Book Day issue goes just prior to issue #14. It details how he joined the team.

Captain Marvel #1 details Carol's recruitment.

As for Angela's whereabouts...who Knows. Bendis is clearly not interested in her presence. I almost think that he forgot she was supposed to be there. :/
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

So I'm not keen on Bendis' GotG. And Flash isn't a character I'm particularly interested in.

However, there needs to be a, "Flash! Aa-ah! Saviour of the Universe!" joke thrown in somewhere. If Flash leaves, and that joke never gets made during his time in the book, Bendis will be dead to me. It's the most obvious joke possible, but it's obvious because it would be so damned good.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    You actually did miss an issue, believe it or not. The Free Comic Book Day issue goes just prior to issue #14. It details how he joined the team.

Captain Marvel #1 details Carol's recruitment.

As for Angela's whereabouts...who Knows. Bendis is clearly not interested in her presence. I almost think that he forgot she was supposed to be there. :/
    Ok that makes a lot more sense then. I hate when they do things like that though. This whole series has been a major disapointment. I know they gave it to Bendis because he is there biggest name writer and they wanted to really crosspromote the movie, but he has just been a bad fit on this series from the get go. Cosmic marvel is just not his wheelhouse no matter how many times he says it is.