Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Iron Man would definitely be interesting. He's a character I think Hickman could really dissect and stay focused on, while also playing with the tech and high concept side of things.
    That was my thought. Though the writing didn't overly work for me I loved a lot of the Concepts Warren brought in his Iron Man minis, concepts that I assume (though I haven't read it) were expanded upon in Avengers A.I. I think Hickman could really run with those. Not to mention the cosmic work and secret history Gillen added that can be mined, the chance to update Iron Man's rogues (the upgrades they got under Fraction still didn't seem to leave them as truly credible against Tony. If I dare to dream we might even get a return of Absynthe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Plenty of stuff I could see him doing: Black Panther, X-Men, Iron Man, maybe even Spider-Man. But I'm perfectly fine seeing him finish his Marvel saga stick with creator owned.

That being said, him and someone like Oliver Coipel, Dustin Weaver or Jim Cheung on Superman is basically my dream title. Love to see him on Green Lantern, Justice League or Legion of Super-Heroes too (I think he once said Legion is his dream job).
    I would love to see him on Superman--he'd bring the wacky science!
    I'd also totally buy Black Panther or Dr. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Waid on Superman is one of my biggest wishes.
    Oh man I'd give anything!
    Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I've never understood everybody's obsession with getting Waid on Superman. Why Superman specifically? I enjoyed Kingdom Come, but haven't read Birthright. Is it Birthright?

Mighty Member

I really like the idea of him working on Black Panther or Heroes for Hire (potentially with Black Panther...)

BANNED

Well it goes without saying that I'd love to see Jonathan Hickman writing a Black Panther solo book due to the development he's put into the character and his fictional homeland.

Hickman penchant for writing strong women who are capable of making decisions and acting on them, has been strongly evident in New Avengers where he's written Shuri, Queen of Wakanda as a well rounded character dedicated to the protection of her nation and it's people and let's not forget the Black Swan, Proxima Midnight and Super Giant, three brand new female antagonists who are anything but whimsical.

As others have pointed out, Jonathan Hickman on Dr Strange, Namor or GOTG would be a dream come true for me as a reader.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    It's May, 2015. Not this month.
    Yeah, forgot to put that in but I figured it was understood.

The thing about Hickman is he reminds me of when Stan Lee and Gene Colan constructed this complex world of Atlantis all separate from the Marvel Universe, and Hickman reminds me of that ability to dislocate the world he operates in. He could do a Mole Man series, because that world hasn't been expanded upon yet, either. But certainly, the Inhumans series is something that he could thrive in. A lot has been produced regarding the Inhumans, but not in a continual fashion over a long period.

I didn't think his Fantastic Four series was all that illuminating, possibly because Stan Lee and Jack Kirby had already sculpted everybody in that world, and Hickman just going over old ground couldn't reinvent the wheel. Hickman can reinvent the wheel in a lot of other areas, though.

I think JMS reinventing the wheel on Spiderman was about all you could do on that franchise, but I don't think Dan Slotts Spiderman is challenging enough, as it appears to be Marvel Adventures level reading. I doubt if Hickman could do a Spiderman justice, though. Spiderman requires a mixture of JMS seriousness and Slott lightness, and maybe that was the magic of Ditko and Lee?
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-06-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    The thing about Hickman is he reminds me of when Stan Lee and Gene Colan constructed this complex world of Atlantis all separate from the Marvel Universe, and Hickman reminds me of that ability to dislocate the world he operates in. He could do a Mole Man series, because that world hasn't been expanded upon yet, either. But certainly, the Inhumans series is something that he could thrive in. A lot has been produced regarding the Inhumans, but not in a continual fashion over a long period.

I didn't think his Fantastic Four series was all that illuminating, possibly because Stan Lee and Jack Kirby had already sculpted everybody in that world, and Hickman just going over old ground couldn't reinvent the wheel. Hickman can reinvent the wheel in a lot of other areas, though.

I think JMS reinventing the wheel on Spiderman was a about all you could do on that franchise, but I don't think Dan Slotts Spiderman is challenging enough, as it appears to be Marvel Adventures level reading. I doubt if Hickman could do a Spiderman justice, though. Spiderman requires a mixture of JMS seriousness and Slott lightness.
    That's part of the reason I think he'd be so great in an alternate universe setting. He killed it on Ultimates, with a huge, largely unexplored world to play with. Squadron Supreme - whether it's Earth-712 or the JMS reboot - would be great, too. Or New Universe (possibly even picking up where Ellis left off with newuniversal).

I would like to see Hickman writing a G.I.Joe series.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LASERlips View Post
    Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I've never understood everybody's obsession with getting Waid on Superman. Why Superman specifically? I enjoyed Kingdom Come, but haven't read Birthright. Is it Birthright?
    It's those things mixed with the fact that there will never be a person who loves Superman more than Waid.
    He's read EVERY issue he's been in. And I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE. From Action, Superman, Best Pal, Girlfriend, etc...

The man knows his Superman.

Or New Universe (possibly even picking up where Ellis left off with newuniversal).
    Yes please!

I would like to see him to do a Shiar Imperial Guard series. He's really good with the cosmic stuff and writes Gladiator well. Perhaps other Annihilators like Ronan the Accuser would show up too. I liked when they worked with Annihilus and Super Skrull in Infinity.

BANNED

That's part of the reason I think he'd be so great in an alternate universe setting. He killed it on Ultimates, with a huge, largely unexplored world to play with. Squadron Supreme - whether it's Earth-712 or the JMS reboot - would be great, too. Or New Universe (possibly even picking up where Ellis left off with newuniversal).
    One of the biggest problems faced by the 616 MU is the fact that a lot of the writers currently telling tales within it rarely respect established continuity or accurate characterization. This in turn leads to a lot of inconsistencies in storytelling and what one would expect from a supposedly shared universe.

Writers like Jonathan Hickman and (now) Al Ewing are needed to redress this imbalance due to the fact that they both rspect said continuity and accurate characterization.

I don't see any reason why Hickman couldn't do work in the 616 MU as well as the UU as is the case with Brian Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    I don't see any reason why Hickman couldn't do work in the 616 MU as well as the UU as is the case with Brian Bendis.
    Aside from schedule (3 books a month plus planning the major event), I think it'd be weird to have the same guy on Avengers AND Ultimates. It'd be like Bendis writing Ultimate Spider-man AND Amazing Spider-man.

Extraordinary Member

I think that X-Men and Spider-Man are the most realistic 'options', Slotts run must be ending sometime soon and X-Men is a book that matches the ability of Hickman. Not to say he couldn't do a 'smaller' book.

Slott will have to be dragged kicking and screaming away from Spider-Man. That or they'll pump him full of tranquilizers.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist