Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Does "Balancing The Force" Mean To You?

Anakin Skywalker was hailed as the Chosen One, prophesied to bring balance to the force. As far as I'm aware there are two interpretations of the concept of balancing the force actually means.

The first perspective is George Lucas's view that the dark side of the force was like a cancer and to bring balance to the force means the total supremacy of the light side. Anakin brought balance by killing Emperor Palpatine.

The second viewpoint held by certain EU writers and fans is that the dark and light sides of the force are two sides of the same coin and to balance the force is for both sides to be in equilibrium of one another. Anakin brought balance by destroying the Jedi Order and killing Emporer Palpatine.

Which camp do you fall into?

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Anakin Skywalker was hailed as the Chosen One, prophesied to bring balance to the force. As far as I'm aware there are two interpretations of the concept of balancing the force actually means.

The first perspective is George Lucas's view that the dark side of the force was like a cancer and to bring balance to the force means the total supremacy of the light side. Anakin brought balance by killing Emperor Palpatine.

The second viewpoint held by certain EU writers and fans is that the dark and light sides of the force are two sides of the same coin and to balance the force is for both sides to be in equilibrium of one another. Anakin brought balance by destroying the Jedi Order and killing Emporer Palpatine.

Which camp do you fall into?
    Definitely the latter. I see it as you don't necessarily need the Jedi and the Sith to represent the two sides, but you need the two sides. Otherwise you cannot even define the one left existing. What is light without darkness? What is good without bad?

I think a better exploration of this concept was the Shadow War in Babylon 5. The Vorlons vs. the Shadows and how they were manipulating lesser species to pick a side, and the answer was always that order and chaos are both necessary and we need to pick for ourselves how much of each rather than dogmatically hate one or the other.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I definitely fall in the latter camp, you can't have balance if one side out weighs the other. It reminds me of the concept of Yin and Yang.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 06-29-2022 at 09:54 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I agree with the latter.

The Jedi and the Light had grown too complacent and dogmatic which let the Sith grow in power to the point that they decimated the Light but the Chosen One (Anakin) eventually helped balance the scales by defeating the Sith (with the help of his son).

The latter for me as well. As others have said, you can't have yin without yang, light without shadow, etc.

I think everyone in-universe believed the Chosen One prophesy was about destroying one side and "removing the cancer." Certainly nobody seemed to realize that balancing the Force also required the destruction of the two organizations that had put it *out* of balance in the first place.

Well, I think Qui-Gon knew. Or at least suspected that the prophesy wouldn't be as nice and clean as "Anakin will destroy the Sith and the Jedi will live happily ever after." No real reason for me to think that, just a gut feeling.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

The former, because it's the one the movies use, and thus the only correct one.

People like to think about balance as "equilibrium," and thus start conflating this idea that you need both light and dark. Which is true enough.

But "bringing balance to the Force" doesn't actually have anything at all to do with light OR dark. Bringing balance entails destroying Palpatine. And thus, the Sith. So it's actually the Sith that are the problem, not the dark side, per se.

Why? Because the Sith reject the natural order of life and death. They seek absolute immortality of the flesh, and thus defy the very natural world which births and sustains the Force. The Sith, effectively, represent UNDEATH. This being those powers that Palpatine explicitly calls out as "unnatural" in ROTS (and echoes in RoS, but the less said about that film the better). They stand in opposition to what Qui-gon would call "the living Force," deeply connected to life, nature and people (as opposed to the Cosmic Force the rest of the Jedi worship, which is partly why they have become so disconnected).

Anakin himself is representative of this imbalanced state during his life. His rejection of loss, and thus his quest to conquer death, mark his fall to the Dark Side. He literally ends up wearing a life sustaining suit to keep himself alive in defiance of the natural order as Vader. But then in the throne room aboard the DS2, he accepts his own death in order to save Luke, his progeny. This is the natural form of immortality open to all living beings. Legacy, family. Vader's acceptance of the end of his own life, and in self-sacrifice for another no less, is why Anakin is redeemed. He has returned to the path of nature and no longer stands outside the Force.

You even see this picked up on in newer material. Most notably in Rebels, and echoed in TLJ, where our heroes receive aid from otherwise wild animals. The Lothwolves of Lothal and the crystal critters of Crait, respectively. This reflects their alliance with the light and their service to the natural order.

Whatever the actual creator of Star Wars and the concept of the Force intended it to mean is the correct interpretation, obviously. It's not a literal scale (2 Jedi and 2 Sith).
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

I'd put more stock in the original intent....if Lucas had worked out all these details prior to the films being made, rather than make half of it up as he went along. Maybe I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware, Lucas did a lot of stuff on the fly. Like, supposedly Vader *did* kill Anakin in the original plan, it wasn't until after New Hope that Lucas decided Vader *was* Anakin, and had to backtrack established continuity with all the "certain point of view" silliness.

There's nothing wrong with freeform storytelling, don't get me wrong. But when you do that, "original intent" doesn't carry as much weight.

Plus, all the revisions to the original films (Greedo shot first, dammit!) and the prequels altered and changed plenty, so clearly even Lucas didn't consider his original intent to be carved in stone.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It is different circumstances for the prequels and the original trilogy though. Lucas wrote A New Hope with a solid beginning, middle and end because he was not expecting that he would get the chance to make any other films. He was limited by the studio constraints as well as the budget and technology available at the time. (Hence all the annoying "special edition" tinkering) wheras by the prequels he had much more control over the series, for better or worse. So when he introduced the idea of a "chosen one" prophecy and than states that it is fulfilled when Anakin returns to the light and eliminates the Sith by killing Palpatine it isn't so much "on the fly." He has thought this part out.

Balance meaning equal parts dark and light is rather too simplistic, imo. When doctors say "eat a balanced diet" they are not suggesting that for every healthy vegetable you eat, you should follow that up immediately with a sugary unhealthy donut!
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

The way I see it, for the need to achieve balance to exist there has to first be an unbalance. To me the source of that unbalance was Palpatine and his ambitions to rule the galaxy. Normally the balance that is supposed to occur is Jedi and Sith co-existing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The way I see it, for the need to achieve balance to exist there has to first be an unbalance. To me the source of that unbalance was Palpatine and his ambitions to rule the galaxy. Normally the balance that is supposed to occur is Jedi and Sith co-existing.
    I think that came later. I feel like the original imbalance was the Prequel Jedi and their dogmatic and more militant adherence to the Force, while Sidious was able to slip by them and grow the Dark Side underneath their notice.

Extraordinary Member

I personally prefer the idea it’s a reference to the Dark Side (as the imbalance itself) being overriding and triumphant on a level hitherto unseen beforehand…

…and I kind of *hate* the interpretation that it means soemthing like equal numbers of light siders and dark siders.

Star Wars doesn’t do moral relativity that way; there’s no “balanced” amount of cruelty, sadism, mass murder and slavery, and the idea implies that there’s “too many Jedi” in the PT, which I also hate,

But I love the idea that the Dark Side is so insidiously twisted, decaying, and despoiled by its users that Sidious ruling over everyone is a spiritual plague upon the Force in need of cleansing.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

That always kind of bugged me during the prequels, because not a single Jedi seemed to suspect that balance may have involved a pendulum swing in the other direction.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Slightly off topic but remember in the late 90s the rumored title for Episode I was "Balance of the Force"? Strangely, despite the term being mentioned in the films, it never seemed to be in any revealed making of stuff about episode I (Whose working title was pretty much "The Beginning") to be true. Wonder if that 'leak' came from perhaps somebody who had heard or read the dialogue (TPM did have a ton of leaks) and thought it sounded like it could be a good title.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

I quit worrying about how the force is supposed to work when first I heard the term "midi-chlorians."