Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    I initially figured that meant he was gonna do something with the list he created. Nowadays, I believe it was more because he wanted to make the threat seem impossible to overcome through sheer force, which Omega’s will circumvent by being just powerful mutants. It’s why Magik in X of Swords is choosing to slash at the enemies instead of calling a horde of demons to go to war and summoning different spells like she was taught by Doctor Strange. Or why Storm was calling down lightning instead of a hurricane.

Remembering the Incursions prior-Secret Wars 2015, I saw how he wrote the Illuminati. The tone was repeatedly very grim and hopeless, as not even the greatest minds could somehow figure out how to stop this event from happening. Not even the Infinity Gauntlet was able to stop it. The situation was so bad that they were making deals with an untrustworthy female source who just earlier was about to destroy their planet and was urging them to do the same for the alt Earth.

Reading his X of Swords showed me his style very clearly at that point. He world-builds and loves to put these heroes in hopeless situations. That is why Orchis is somehow so unfathomably powerful, despite multiple mutants having the power to stop them. That’s why we yet again are caught in a situation where an untrustworthy female character to guide the male characters to a possible scenario where they win by screwing over others living their lives. Omega Level Mutants as a concept would fall against that kind storytelling very easy, which explains why he almost never uses them outside of Magneto (who wouldn’t ya know, is about as morally Grey as Emma Frost).
    It's funny that he retconned Magneto into an Omega level mutants but still couldn't get rid of Orchis' sun base lol.

It's also pretty weird how he goes about how threatening Orchis is, in Inferno, 16 attempts are made to try to destroy their base, and for whatever reason like 7 of them had the same weak team to try to take on Nimrod, the same story later has Xavier deciding Orchis isn't threatening enough and decided to stop attacking 'em for some reason, and then when Magneto gets to fight Nimrod, he does a pretty good job keeping up with him and only loses 'cause of a random depower.

It's so weird how the story makes it look like Orchis is only that threatening because Krakoans are stupid enough to not really try, which's baffling given their hate boner for AIs.

Not that I'm saying they should go a super pragmatic route, but what they were doing was almost the exact opposite, neither extreme is good, since what Inferno did can make it look like Orchis is only around because Krakoans have a PhD in incompetence.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

I’m going to run with someone just being annoyed at the idea that Reed and Tony are better (in a tech sense, not morally obviously) at something than a mutant

Quote Originally Posted by emfrst View Post
    they also described him as technopath, which is very wrong. He is more of an engineer, whatever machine he thinks of, he can make them, this technopath thing kind of cheapen his identity.

Hopefully yes.

That was not what Hickman put down. He made no mention of resources being an issue for Forge. He merely made it clear that Forge has been surpassed as far as his measurable powers went. What that entails is never really expounded upon. Probably for the best, since thinking about the requirements of an Omega to begin with has not really been explored beyond the definition, which is a really broad definition in its own right, which is funny since the definition was made to cut down the list of Omega’s.

There is a very beautiful useful writing tool employed by many many comic writers, the retcon. And it seems that has been going on a bit lately with jean being retconned back to being an omega tk and tp and Xavier being stated to be the most powerful telepath in the universe. Same tool that allows forge to also become omega. And soon hopefully rachel.

BANNED

Hopefully Cable will be an omega again. Him being not an omega doesn't make sense. He was already stated multiple times to be an omega and has an infinite potential so he already fit the Hickman classification. People like to use Savior as proof that his powers are limited when the reason why he was dying in the first place was because his power was growing indefinitely that his body cant handle it anymore. Plus his TP and TK feats there are nuts, especially if you read the newspaper/interview segments where it was revealed that his tk and tp was active 24/7 on a planetary scale and how Xavier confirmed that Cable was capable of throwing all weapons on earth into the sun. If thats the reason why he cant be an omega then Proteus shouldnt be either since hes burning through bodies weekly, or Magneto since he had aneurysm when he amped himself and tried to push the Orchis base into the sun.

Plus, all these years, since the Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix, one of the core Cable lore is that he is supposed to be super powerful but isnt due to his TO virus. Jean, Rachel/Mother Askani, Apocalypse, Sinister and even the Celestials thought that this Nathan Christopher kid is something special and now he's not even an omega? lol doesnt make sense.

Also, maybe its just me but I personally hate the "infinite potential" nonsense
    Last edited by MkDiz; 06-30-2022 at 01:57 AM.

I just pissed that everyone at Marvel seemed to forget he's supposed to be a powerful shaman, yet hasn't used any magic in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I just pissed that everyone at Marvel seemed to forget he's supposed to be a powerful shaman, yet hasn't used any magic in years.
    Forge has done a little spattering of shaman stuff in the past 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    He did use his power to enter the white hot room to help eco to trap the advesary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    It's funny that he retconned Magneto into an Omega level mutants but still couldn't get rid of Orchis' sun base lol.

It's also pretty weird how he goes about how threatening Orchis is, in Inferno, 16 attempts are made to try to destroy their base, and for whatever reason like 7 of them had the same weak team to try to take on Nimrod, the same story later has Xavier deciding Orchis isn't threatening enough and decided to stop attacking 'em for some reason, and then when Magneto gets to fight Nimrod, he does a pretty good job keeping up with him and only loses 'cause of a random depower.

It's so weird how the story makes it look like Orchis is only that threatening because Krakoans are stupid enough to not really try, which's baffling given their hate boner for AIs.

Not that I'm saying they should go a super pragmatic route, but what they were doing was almost the exact opposite, neither extreme is good, since what Inferno did can make it look like Orchis is only around because Krakoans have a PhD in incompetence.
    Magneto's power level is one that really confounds me, like dont get me wrong he is powerful but omega? Really? His deadliness yes partly came from his sheer might, but most of the time it's simply because he knew how to apply his very vast knowledge on electromagnetism to accomplish things only dreamt of and he was ruthless. He always had the risk of burning out his powers and to me once you can literally burn out out powers they arent as unlimited as you think.

But he is omegas now so says cannon and he still couldn't push the station into the sun basically because the dyson
    energies were too much for him, aka he cant overcome the power of a star. So why not send any other omega after the Dyson, like take legion or monarch or anyone. Magneto's high end feats are really inconsistent he always uses amos in one way or another. So why send him to do something he likely cant do.

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    There is a very beautiful useful writing tool employed by many many comic writers, the retcon. And it seems that has been going on a bit lately with jean being retconned back to being an omega tk and tp and Xavier being stated to be the most powerful telepath in the universe. Same tool that allows forge to also become omega. And soon hopefully rachel.
    I am very much aware of what a retcon is. Needless to say, we don’t know if this is a retcon or a writing error that slipped by editorials notice like Emma being referred to as an Omega. At the very least with retcons we actually get an explanation for what happened in a story. This was merely a mention of Forge suddenly being an Omega and never addressed in-story.

And don’t patronize me with the thought of Jean becoming an Omega telekinetic. I do not care for who becomes what. I would like consistency in my stories so that the narrative makes sense. Random changes that ignore canon are frustrating to most people and often are used by uninformed individuals as correct because they somehow made onto the page.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I dont believe him to be one. until that omega list is updated and says otherwise I say no.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MkDiz View Post
    Hopefully Cable will be an omega again. Him being not an omega doesn't make sense. He was already stated multiple times to be an omega and has an infinite potential so he already fit the Hickman classification. People like to use Savior as proof that his powers are limited when the reason why he was dying in the first place was because his power was growing indefinitely that his body cant handle it anymore. Plus his TP and TK feats there are nuts, especially if you read the newspaper/interview segments where it was revealed that his tk and tp was active 24/7 on a planetary scale and how Xavier confirmed that Cable was capable of throwing all weapons on earth into the sun. If thats the reason why he cant be an omega then Proteus shouldnt be either since hes burning through bodies weekly, or Magneto since he had aneurysm when he amped himself and tried to push the Orchis base into the sun.

Plus, all these years, since the Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix, one of the core Cable lore is that he is supposed to be super powerful but isnt due to his TO virus. Jean, Rachel/Mother Askani, Apocalypse, Sinister and even the Celestials thought that this Nathan Christopher kid is something special and now he's not even an omega? lol doesnt make sense.

Also, maybe its just me but I personally hate the "infinite potential" nonsense
    Proteus isn’t killing himself by eating through bodies. Magneto overexerting himself is not a sign that his powers are killing him. It is a sign that his body reached its limits from exertion.

I personally also think Cable should have qualified for the Omega status, too, but what is happening to Cable is not the same thing that happened to those Omega’s you mentioned. Cable’s powers are actively killing him without his say in the matter because his body can’t handle his own powers.

I don’t think there are many people who like the infinite potential thing either, especially since it doesn’t really factor into stories beyond giving characters a deus ex machina power-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    I dont think the intent of the xmen issue was to state Jean was an omega tk and tp. when rogue says two omegas she's just expressing she's absorbed the power of an omega mutant. I understand retcons do and will occur but the data page makes it clear the omega power is normally only for one power.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I dont believe him to be one. until that omega list is updated and says otherwise I say no.
    The most sensible answer here.

The most sensible answer here.
    thanks friend!! <3