Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default 1960s Batman TV series does it fit the silverage

I've been watching the 60s Batman TV series with Adam West for the first time. I've heard a lot of fans over the years say it is a accurate representation of the character from the silverage. I've read little of Batman stories from the 50s and 60s. But I'm still not feeling that it's a accurate adaption. I think the Adam West series is a lot of fun. But in the first episode a go go dancer falls to her death and Batman simply says "what a way to go go". Even in the 60s comics which were campy, I don't feel like Batman would just shrug off loss of civilian life. What do you think, is the Adam West a accurate representation of the comics from the 1960s or is it more of a parody of them?

I'm more in line of seeing it as a parody, but I do enjoy the show.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    I've been watching the 60s Batman TV series with Adam West for the first time. I've heard a lot of fans over the years say it is a accurate representation of the character from the silverage. I've read little of Batman stories from the 50s and 60s. But I'm still not feeling that it's a accurate adaption. I think the Adam West series is a lot of fun. But in the first episode a go go dancer falls to her death and Batman simply says "what a way to go go". Even in the 60s comics which were campy, I don't feel like Batman would just shrug off loss of civilian life. What do you think, is the Adam West a accurate representation of the comics from the 1960s or is it more of a parody of them?

I'm more in line of seeing it as a parody, but I do enjoy the show.
    It is in no way an accurate representation of either the 50's or 60's...it was just a fun, campy tv show.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Fun and Campy yes. I think The Batman show was a lot more Camp then the batman Comics. As goofy and light hearted as the Batman comics were in that era they did not come close to matching the level of Adam West

Both are really enjoyable. I think the Superman books were a heck of a lot more campy and goofy. The stories with Super Boy were so goofy and off the wall at times! I wish we could have gotten that show!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Obviously, it couldn't be a 100% page-to-screen translation...NO adaptation can be. But I think it was a pretty accurate representation of the Batman comics of the time.

Its worth noting that Batman '66 was never meant to be a parody of Batman. It was played perfectly straight for kids...and the humor came from how seriously the characters took their situation and their comic-book logic, which was absurd to adults. When Commissioner Gordon calls Batman about 2 minutes after learning about a villain at large, that's exactly how things were in the comics. The wild deductions Batman and Robin used to make were again exactly how things were in the comics. Of course seeing stuff from the funny pages brought to life in live-action without attempting to inject 'realism' into it as most modern adaptations do led to it feeling like a parody to the grown-ups!