Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Sadly, Rogue isn't registered as an Omega Level Mutant. It is cool that she can copy Jean's presumably Omega Level Telekinesis, though.

Interesting. Has Monet died and undergone the resurrection protocols, too?

It's important to note that Ororo qualified her statement regarding Xavier's power by prefacing it with "perhaps," which indicates she wasn't making an absolute statement. Even still, Ororo doesn't have the requisite power to determine whether a mutant is "the most powerful" or not. Food for thought.

What "easy excuse" did Hickman provide?

Hmmm. These are all interesting and totally plausible theories.

Another instance I forgot about! And Xavier had undergone the resurrection protocols by then.

Another interesting and plausible theory that could even tie into Judgment Day.

Has Hellion been shown exhibiting this level of control since Krakoa was established? Also, has he undergone the resurrection process?

Haha. Well, I have the following theories as to why Cerebro didn't initially register Jean's already established Omega Level Telekinesis: 1) Xavier manipulated not just her backup but others' as well; 2) Xavier didn't include all the registered Omega Level Mutants on Cerebro's list, i.e., he modified the list to not include all of them for reasons only known to him; 3) Cerebro glitched; 4) Age of X-Man temporarily affected her abilities, or 5) Jean repressed or suppressed her telekinesis, which could be due to her experiences during her time-displaced teenager, Phoenix Resurrection, or even Age of X-Man.

Exactly.
    Let me add possibility 6) Jean might be a little slower at developing her powers simply because of her split focus - it takes more time to learn French and German than to learn just one of them.

One advantage Rogue has with absorbing powers is she gets memory as well - whereas someone like Synch of Hope needs to learn to use a power (even if they get it at full potential) Rogue gets the knowledge of how to use the power along with the gift, meaning that while other mutants who can duplicate powers might possibly have a higher ceiling, Rogue has a much higher floor than anyone else.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Found the thread that mentions it:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...esis-confirmed

So yeah, it's not resurrection related, unless they changed their minds after this and comics will say something else, who knows, but the way they said it there, he just has it and that's that, which's, not good lol.
    Technically, it could be resurrection related because, by the time the events in Inferno unfolded, Xavier had died at least once. In fact, Jean resurrected him. Without putting on a Cerebro helmet, I might add.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Let me add possibility 6) Jean might be a little slower at developing her powers simply because of her split focus - it takes more time to learn French and German than to learn just one of them.
    Hm. Please expound.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    One advantage Rogue has with absorbing powers is she gets memory as well - whereas someone like Synch of Hope needs to learn to use a power (even if they get it at full potential) Rogue gets the knowledge of how to use the power along with the gift, meaning that while other mutants who can duplicate powers might possibly have a higher ceiling, Rogue has a much higher floor than anyone else.
    Oh, there's no question that Rogue is able to do what you say. However, to be clear, Jean was already extracting hundreds of thousands to millions of spores when Rogue offered her help for expediency's sake. In other words, Rogue in no way augmented Jean's telekinesis, which is why she comments, "Damn, Jean. I didn't know your TK could grasp something as small as spores." Jean confirming that "nothing is too big or heavy" or "too small" for her to "lift" or "grab" is just the cherry on the cake.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

The Red Dragon

Hm. Please expound.

Oh, there's no question that Rogue is able to do what you say. However, to be clear, Jean was already extracting hundreds of thousands to millions of spores when Rogue offered her help for expediency's sake. In other words, Rogue in no way augmented Jean's telekinesis, which is why she comments, "Damn, Jean. I didn't know your TK could grasp something as small as spores." Jean confirming that "nothing is too big or heavy" or "too small" for her to "lift" or "grab" is just the cherry on the cake.
    A single mushroom can produce billion to trillions of spores. I think a trillion microscopic spores from something as large as Cordyceps is on the lower end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    A single mushroom can produce billion to trillions of spores. I think a trillion microscopic spores from something as large as Cordyceps is on the lower end.
    Ah, thanks for pointing that out! What Jean did, along with Rogue while using Jean's power, is almost inconceivable. A fantastic feat.

Technically, it could be resurrection related because, by the time the events in Inferno unfolded, Xavier had died at least once. In fact, Jean resurrected him. Without putting on a Cerebro helmet, I might add.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_1afuRV...jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_1agVOU...jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_1ahQNV...jpg&name=large
    I mean, the possibility of him having telekinesis as an enhancements from resurrection is quickly shut down:

"AIPT: Thanks for sharing all that. OK, time for some comic questions. X-Fan Wilson was curious about the telekinesis Xavier used when battling Nimrod. Has Charles made some tweaks and improvements to his genetics through the Resurrection Protocols?

Jordan: No. We talked about that, though — Me and Jon — because yeah, it was sort of a thing, like, does he have telekinesis? And the answer is, if you look over the years, it’s certainly not the thing he does the most, but there are times when he has been shown to use it."

Now, they could change their minds, this is just some interview after all, but if this is still the only official explanation given for it, then yeah, unfortunately not resurrection related.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I mean, the possibility of him having telekinesis as an enhancements from resurrection is quickly shut down:

"AIPT: Thanks for sharing all that. OK, time for some comic questions. X-Fan Wilson was curious about the telekinesis Xavier used when battling Nimrod. Has Charles made some tweaks and improvements to his genetics through the Resurrection Protocols?

Jordan: No. We talked about that, though — Me and Jon — because yeah, it was sort of a thing, like, does he have telekinesis? And the answer is, if you look over the years, it’s certainly not the thing he does the most, but there are times when he has been shown to use it."

Now, they could change their minds, this is just some interview after all, but if this is still the only official explanation given for it, then yeah, unfortunately not resurrection related.
    Ah, duly noted! He could still be re-categorized as having Omega Level telepathy as a result of being resurrected though.

Hm. Please expound.
    There really isn't much to expound - it just takes longer to do 2 things than 1 thing, even if they are related. A bachelor's degree typically takes 4 years, getting 2 of those degrees at colleges that have such programs takes 5 for a science/engineering combo. A pairing like that is faster because you don't have to take the stuff not related to your degrees twice, and the foundational stuff is part of both degrees. But it still requires an additional year (better than 4 though). I imagine what Jean has gone through mastering her powers is similar. Xavier taught some stuff that was more related to superheroes in general, and much of the mental focus stuff at the beginning is needed for any mental power, but as they develop, navigating a fractured mind won't take the same skills as taking apart a tank by each component nut and bolt.

The fact that Jean is near the top at using both of her abilities (with one, maybe two who can equal or slightly surpass her at either) is a testament to just how dedicated and talented she is. The only other person I can easily think of with a split focus is Quentin, and he is notably behind Jean in everything except a sense of showmanship, even back when it was Jeen he was being measured against - and she had her telepathy for s much shorter time.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 06-29-2022 at 10:28 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Fantastic Member

INHO the easiest explanation is what it is all caused by Hope. She can copy powers at their most developed, perfect form, regardless of host's own level of development. So, it makes perfect sense what during resurrection she would adjust mutant's power to the perfect state and if some of them, like Synch, had potential to develop into Omega, then after resurrection they now are Omegas, if they hadn't had such potential, then they power would just become a bit (or a lot) stronger due to reaching perfection.

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Hm. Please expound.
    There's a lot of chatter about Rogue's abilities here. Has it ever been specified what Apocalypse did to her in the early days of Excalibur? Or if there were any lingering after-affects from what he did? That whole scenario was something of a head-scratcher for me.

Astonishing Member

"Omega level is a classification of a single mutant power. While it is quite common that mutants manifest multiple powers, only one is normally of Omega level." This makes it clear that it is not impossible for a single mutant to register more than one Omega level ability.

I think your deduction is wrong, the statement says one power can be classified 'Omega' among mutants fulfilling this category, ergo even if they hold other powers, those other powers are not 'Omega' class by association with a power that is.

To my mind ,proved by Synch tapping out borrowing Jean's power both he and Rogue can copy an Omega mutant's power but not to the extremity of the holder of said power. It is not written so don't take my word for it ,but it makes sense with both not being on the list. For now it is teased that Synch may be an omega in the making and my thinking is he is an Omega of power mimicry which is different from Legion's power manifestation and Hope's power manipulation

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    "Omega level is a classification of a single mutant power. While it is quite common that mutants manifest multiple powers, only one is normally of Omega level." This makes it clear that it is not impossible for a single mutant to register more than one Omega level ability.

I think your deduction is wrong, the statement says one power can be classified 'Omega' among mutants fulfilling this category, ergo even if they hold other powers, those other powers are not 'Omega' class by association with a power that is.

To my mind ,proved by Synch tapping out borrowing Jean's power both he and Rogue can copy an Omega mutant's power but not to the extremity of the holder of said power. It is not written so don't take my word for it ,but it makes sense with both not being on the list. For now it is teased that Synch may be an omega in the making and my thinking is he is an Omega of power mimicry which is different from Legion's power manifestation and Hope's power manipulation
    Synch worries me from a story standpoint since they expanded his powers. I like the character and his characterization on a personal level, as well as how he a Swiss Army Knife for the team. But I think he worked better with clear limits on what he can do and how he does it. Unlike Rogue, who touches and is more careful not to hurt or take too much of the person (which she doesn't really need to do because she is also a Flying Brick), Synch is now seemingly able to just take anything anywhere at any time.

If he can just take anyone's power wherever they are, why have a team at all? Sure, he is limited to one at a time, but it just makes the battles too easy and not compelling IMHO.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

To answer the question...No.

Upgrades and tweaks, yes...to a degree that's not equal across the board for all who go through the RPs; with much more research needed to confirm if and how (and that's not including "special requests/enhancements" made by the deceased).

But OL upgrades...No. (Synch who clearly has OL potential is still not OL, at this point, despite having marked improvements to his powerset and the use there-of)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by imbatman1206 View Post
    Synch worries me from a story standpoint since they expanded his powers. I like the character and his characterization on a personal level, as well as how he a Swiss Army Knife for the team. But I think he worked better with clear limits on what he can do and how he does it. Unlike Rogue, who touches and is more careful not to hurt or take too much of the person (which she doesn't really need to do because she is also a Flying Brick), Synch is now seemingly able to just take anything anywhere at any time.

If he can just take anyone's power wherever they are, why have a team at all? Sure, he is limited to one at a time, but it just makes the battles too easy and not compelling IMHO.
    I get what you mean and you have a point ,but I've noticed for mutants like Rogue and Synch writers usually for big battles make them copy various powers and engage one powerful target or to protect a valuable asset a great distance away while the rest of the team fight multitudes in one battle.So both Synch and Rogue or even Hope can have big roles to play without downplaying significance of the rest.The writers just have to be smart about it. Although saying that ,I am not a fan of scenarios like that of Rogue and Jean,why use the same power in a single vicinity or close proximity? Like to me it feels redundant. If Rogue copied Jean's telekinesis to first drain the spores from Jean and then Jean proceeds to drain from everyone else would be much better for me ,but that would need tweaking the whole scenario if only slightly, but I'm no writer.

Quote Originally Posted by imbatman1206 View Post
    And I'm going to beat @Rift to saying the Hellion has already displayed Omega-level Telekinesis (he can manipulate atoms and molecules as per at least two in panel feats, and I think that is what makes Exodus an O-level TK), and he was resurrected recently. So, although they will never write him using O-level TK, he should be considered one well before Cyclops or any of the Wolverines IMHO.
    Based.

And yeah, Merc. He could do that before Krakoa, and he was recently resurrected. Note that his mind had limits in place to keep his power in check, and his molecular stuff happened after Emma lifted them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.