Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

That's a fun question. I didn't even think to step back and look at things. But now that I am, I got a lot to say about all the books and their lack of Hellion.

Honestly, it feels like very little has actually happened in Destiny of X so far. Stories barely started or continued, and they're already jumping into a months-long event that slows things down or distracts from the stuff I'm interested in. X-Men Red is probably the biggest exception, since it seems that they're using J-Day as a springboard to develop their story, instead of being held back by it.

• For X-Men, they JUST finished the second half of Year 1, and not much really happened.
    • New Mutants has been delayed a ton of times, we only just finished a small arc, and everything about it has felt like there's trouble behind the scenes.
    • X-Force has been so much of a slow burn, that we haven't gotten enough payoff to the stories to justify ending Percy's vision.
    • Immortal X-Men barely started and it jumped immediately into J-Day, which is cockblocking me out of the more interesting subplots they established.
    • Legion of X is moving along nicely, I guess.
    • Marauders... It was a bad idea to start a book with a very long arc about an untested idea, because it ended up being a weak idea and now we're stuck with it for a long time. I'm fine if this book receives a curtain call and gets reshuffled.
    • Everything else is a mini.

I feel like so little has happened so far. And while some books would benefit from a change eventually, I feel like we need more time to let some things develop. It doesn't help that J-Day feels like it's stifling some stories' potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    That's a fun question. I didn't even think to step back and look at things. But now that I am, I got a lot to say about all the books and their lack of Hellion.

Honestly, it feels like very little has actually happened in Destiny of X so far. Stories barely started or continued, and they're already jumping into a months-long event that slows things down or distracts from the stuff I'm interested in. X-Men Red is probably the biggest exception, since it seems that they're using J-Day as a springboard to develop their story, instead of being held back by it.

• For X-Men, they JUST finished the second half of Year 1, and not much really happened.
    • New Mutants has been delayed a ton of times, we only just finished a small arc, and everything about it has felt like there's trouble behind the scenes.
    • X-Force has been so much of a slow burn, that we haven't gotten enough payoff to the stories to justify ending Percy's vision.
    • Immortal X-Men barely started and it jumped immediately into J-Day, which is cockblocking me out of the more interesting subplots they established.
    • Legion of X is moving along nicely, I guess.
    • Marauders... It was a bad idea to start a book with a very long arc about an untested idea, because it ended up being a weak idea and now we're stuck with it for a long time. I'm fine if this book receives a curtain call and gets reshuffled.
    • Everything else is a mini.

I feel like so little has happened so far. And while some books would benefit from a change eventually, I feel like we need more time to let some things develop. It doesn't help that J-Day feels like it's stifling some stories' potential.
    I agree that not a lot has happened to move the stories, X-Men Red being the strongest exception and X-Men was able to at least reveal the protocols.

The Colossus/Mikhail thread in X-Force was the most interesting to me so I'm bummed that it still hasn't concluded. And to be honest I'm only hanging on to Immortal for the Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus, ShadowKate, Xavier issues. If not for them on the horizon I think I would have dropped it after Emma's issue (which I liked).

Funny enough, I really like the mutant rescue aspect of the Sabby and the Exiles premise. I just selfishly wish some of the great characters not being used (Monet, Polaris, Hellion) were doing such missions.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Fug. For a brief moment, I forgot Monet and Polaris are in limbo. Now I feel worse and my day is ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Bringing CGAR's thread back due to the announcement of SOS (I keep hearing Rihanna).

Does the line need a reshuffle after Judgment Day? For me, yes. A refresh though, not necessarily an entire reboot. I'm only reading three titles which is pretty low for me.

Some posters were underwhelmed with the November solicitations. Others felt Destiny of X wasn't a complete reboot as many of the titles just changed names (X-Men Red, Legion, Knights). Immortal, Sabretooth and a new team for Marauders were the major changes.

If you have any insight on how the current line is doing, please feel free to share. X-Men Red is the clear favorite around here, Immortal has mostly favorable reviews, X-Men as well.
    Are Marauders and Legion landing with people? New Mutants having guest writer Anders for a few issues does lend itself to be rebooted at the end of the year. There have been calls for a refresh of X-Force for a while now. It seems whatever Howard is working on will align with the new SOS age. Wolverine and Deadpool can live in their own worlds regardless of any reboot or not. And we'll see how Sabretooth and the Exiles is received.

Thoughts? Do you feel the line needs a refresh/reshuffle/reboot or it just needs time to breathe from the editorial-mandated circus?
    OH MY DARLING. Thats an emphatic YES.

X-Men - is decent
    X-Men Red - the best title in the X-line
    Immortal X-Men - is good
    X-Force - just ugh needs a new writer
    Wolverine - im sure its decent
    Knights of X - already cancelled
    Legion of X - Spurrier needs to be less pretentious on this title
    Marauders - needs to come back to basics. Saving mutants and adventuring. No more in space or back in time nonsense
    New Mutants - is a good title as well but I don't whats going to happen with the new writer filling in for a few issues.
    Sabretooth and the Exiles - definitely excited about this

Like others have stated in other threads. The X-books need a moment to breath but they kept getting sucked into events or big changes.

If there is a relaunch:

X-Men is the X-Men of Earth team book.
    X-Men Red should just be Uncanny X-Men honestly.
    There should be a Brotherhood of Mutants book as well. Since Arrako will have Abigails X-Men, Storm/Magnetos X-Meen and now Cable will have his own team per solits.
    Vita Ayala should be given the new book that will focus on a magic team
    New Mutants should either turn into New X-Men or Young X-Men
    LoX can end.
    X-Force can end.
    Marauders can end.
    Can we have a book about the Rescue Squad though.
    Last edited by CGAR; 08-19-2022 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

X-Men - is decent
    Immortal X-Men - is good
    Marauders - needs to come back to basics. Saving mutants and adventuring. No more in space or back in time nonsense
    New Mutants - is a good title as well but I don't whats going to happen with the new writer filling in for a few issues.

Like others have stated in other threads. The X-books need a moment to breath but they kept getting sucked into events or big changes.

If there is a relaunch:

There should be a Brotherhood of Mutants book as well. Since Arrako will have Abigails X-Men, Storm/Magnetos X-Meen and now Cable will have his own team per solits.
    LoX can end.
    X-Force can end.
    Marauders can end.
    Cable’s X-men Red team is Abigail’s X-men… or at least it was. My hope is that he’s co-opted it and when he betrays her it now consists of Manifold, Thunderbird and Frenzy plus maybe one or two more (hell, pick up Boomer and Dazzler after their X-Terminators mini or something). Then take that team and make it the new X-Force while Storm’s Brotherhood group is featured in the Uncanny X-men book (formerly X-men Red).
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Bringing CGAR's thread back due to the announcement of SOS (I keep hearing Rihanna).

Does the line need a reshuffle after Judgment Day? For me, yes. A refresh though, not necessarily an entire reboot. I'm only reading three titles which is pretty low for me.

Some posters were underwhelmed with the November solicitations. Others felt Destiny of X wasn't a complete reboot as many of the titles just changed names (X-Men Red, Legion, Knights). Immortal, Sabretooth and a new team for Marauders were the major changes.

If you have any insight on how the current line is doing, please feel free to share. X-Men Red is the clear favorite around here, Immortal has mostly favorable reviews, X-Men as well.
    Are Marauders and Legion landing with people? New Mutants having guest writer Anders for a few issues does lend itself to be rebooted at the end of the year. There have been calls for a refresh of X-Force for a while now. It seems whatever Howard is working on will align with the new SOS age. Wolverine and Deadpool can live in their own worlds regardless of any reboot or not. And we'll see how Sabretooth and the Exiles is received.

Thoughts? Do you feel the line needs a refresh/reshuffle/reboot or it just needs time to breathe from the editorial-mandated circus?
    Honestly, I think the line just needs to breathe. Immortal, X-Men Red and X-Men are all solid in the vein of being clear in concept and execution - their reception varies, of course, and valid criticisms exist, but I just mean people know exactly what to look for from each book and what they're getting with each one. Messing with those books is the last thing they need, and wholly counter-intuitive IMO.

New Mutants is up in the air as nobody knows quite what to make of the guest writers and what's coming after them - is Ayala returning to New Mutants or is it getting canceled? Considering the last two years have shown a lot of people definitely do enjoy Ayala's writing and handling of the characters, its only real issue is there's a sense of ambiguity about that book as a whole.....a lot of people don't know quite what to make of it or what its niche is. It kinda just seems to be 'this is a book that happens to be about the New Mutants and younger characters' which is fine, but it definitely stands apart and doesn't gel as well given every other book's comparatively stronger hooks. My guess - and hope - is that New Mutants is getting canceled after the guest arcs, but that the guest writers are buying lead time for Ayala to start on a book about the mutant magic school, which is what it'll relaunch as, with largely the same cast but a stronger identity for the book as a whole. Honestly, I'd be fine either way, I've enjoyed Ayala's run a lot, but there's definitely an argument to be made that New Mutants as is makes for a hard sell to new readers. Its not easy to pitch to anyone who doesn't already have a familiarity and attachment with these characters, since it pretty much relies on being the book you go to if you're fans of these characters and they're who you're looking to read. Mutant magic school though? Easy logline, instantly conveys a strong impression, carries associations with both the X-Men's history as a school as well as pop culture awareness of things like Hogwarts.

Legion of X I don't think they have PLANS for it to go anywhere, and its longterm future just depends on sales stability, though I have no idea what that looks like. I think its fine as is, its got a (theoretically) strong hook itself, being a procedural, but I feel like Spurrier's niche in the franchise is Marvel's just content to have him off in his little corner on Mars spitting out ideas about Arakkii and Krakoan culture-building in the absence of anyone else doing significant strides there, aside from Ewing who is primarily focusing on Arakko with his world-building. I would LIKE this book to be better and with stronger execution of its ideas, many of which I like on a conceptual level but side-eye how they're put into practice.

Thematically, this SHOULD be the third part of a triumvirate with Immortal and X-Men Red.....with Duggan's X-Men its own separate thing entirely as its really only prominence that ties it in with the other two, not specific aspects of its storytelling. The adjectiveless X-Men title is by its premise SUPPOSED to be a wholly separate entity from both the Krakoan and Arakkoan governments and infrastructures....even if those things play roles in its own plots, its concept is 'we're the mutants defining ourselves and our actions by superheroics rather than political compromises'....and this is undermined somewhat by treating it as part of a trinity with the two most political books in the mix. Let it be its own thing.....conceptually, I think the ideal triumvirate of books about mutant culture is X-Men Red in the center between Legion of X and Immortal X-Men. Its the blend of Immortal X-Men's politics and Legion of X's attempts at culture-building, just centered around Arakkii culture and politics while to the right Immortal handles Krakoan politics and to its left Legion of X handles Krakoan culture.

Again, the big problem here is I just don't think Spurrier's as strong a writer as Ewing or Gillen, and thus his book isn't an obvious one to associate with the other two, leaving a hole where otherwise - based just on premise - those three books could make for a very strong central column for the era as a whole. Representing the shift from focusing on mutants as just an embattled minority to mutants as a communal entity, building their own sense of identity and culture beyond just 'embattled minority.'

Marauders is a problem, and I say that with love, because I actually like it, a lot. Its wacky, out there, appeals to the off-the-wall, over the top side of comics where they're just loud and colorful and wtf. The problem is its just not what it says it is, it says nothing to attract the kind of readers that WOULD like it, and its alienating to readers who came for mutant rescues and got temporal heists in deep space instead. Honestly, I'd keep Orlando and ditch the premise, wholesale. I get that they wanted continuity of concept with the first run of Marauders, but honestly, even that was only a two year run, and I don't know that it did enough to cement Marauders as a distinct brand, to the extent where like, we still NEEDED that book-as-is after Duggan was done with it, or where its successor had to nominally adhere to its initial premise or confuse readers.

Nah. The book was still too young in and of itself. I think it served its purpose in the initial launch of Krakoa - though tbh that was more via its work with the Hellfire politics than it ever was about mutant rescues in the first place....but I don't know that its a premise the franchise NEEDS, other than because its assumed to be necessary.

People have pointed out that Sabretooth and the Exiles is more geared to do its supposed job than it is, and X-Force has been shown aimed at mutant rescue plots just as often as Marauders is, between Warren and the trafficked mutants in this last issue, the kidnapped mutant babies in an earlier arc, etc. I'm not saying they've been shown as GOOD at it, lol, but that's a problem with how that book is executed in general, IMO. In theory, every function Marauders fills as an actual mutant rescue team...you could just as easily retool X-Force to be about that, while juxtaposed with LaValle's book about rescuing mutants from Orchis prisons.

So....with a brand-new title with its own spin, I'd relaunch Marauders, largely keep the same cast and Orlando....and turn it into Bishop's War College book which I think there's definitely an audience for, and could also be a strong thematic counterpoint to the theoretical Ayala mutant magic school book. Moving the cast into being the staff of Bishop's War College makes perfect sense of having two War Captains, a member of the Snikt family, Aurora's history with Department H and Weapon X, Tempo's background.....and Somnus' powers and the way he can stretch time in his dreamscape so seven minutes real time could be hours in there...that's really useful in training mutants quickly, especially if say, they need a certain mutant to use their powers in ways they've never tried before, and only a small window of time before they actually need them to DO the thing. Hell, you could even justify keeping Cassandra Nova around by some spin like her saying 'make me the boogeyman of your school, its Kobayashi Maru. If your students can survive an encounter with ME, they can survive anything!' Bishop: Literally everything about what you said sounds terrible. Was that supposed to persuade me?

Obviously, the odd one out here is Kate, because this concept SHOULD be centered around Bishop, but like, she's on the Quiet Council, she fits in lots of other roles or books, I don't really think they NEED to keep her at the centerpoint of this book. Maybe move her to being the Council's official liaison with the school, or its representative to it? Idk.

But bottom line, this could be the second half of the franchise's books about the younger generation of mutants - while Ayala's could be the more fantastic and whimsical, based out of a school-like structure or environment that marries Krakoa's exoticness with the wtf-ery of other magical dimensions, this would be the more militant, action, sci-fi adventures of young mutants learning by doing, in all kinds of fantastical training scenarios, or hell, even BY partaking in rescue missions with the older Marauders.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 08-19-2022 at 05:43 PM.

Astonishing Member

You could also give both books their own niches of mutant culture to focus on, not as prioritized as it is in XMR, Immortal or LoX, but showcasing the dual sides of how mutants are exploring their powers in this new era. Bishop's book shows more of a focus on learning and inventing mutant technology, students figuring out how to create all kinds of circuits on the go, emphasizing the spirit of cooperation between mutants as being a stronger tool to rely on than just individual powersets. Meanwhile, Ayala's book would have more of a focus on mutant magic and how that ties into and builds bonds and a spirit of community between mutants.

Both spotlighting younger generations of mutants having all kinds of sci-fi and fantasy adventures both as lessons and extracurricularly, but with strong premises and central concepts revolving around mutant cooperation/innovation and mutant community/identity. And honestly, I think both Orlando and Ayala have a flair for oddball plots and concepts, and these books could be great opportunities for them to just go wild with that. Orlando wants to do a time travel plot that guest stars some 2099 X-Men? No problem, have a couple of the students horsing around and trying some unsanctioned circuit ideas without supervision....by their powers combined, they accidentally made a portal that sucked them a hundred years into the future, and now their teachers have to try and track them through time to find them and bring them home. Etc, etc.

Also, finally bring back Shard and Bishop's other XSE colleagues, to fill out the rest of his staff.

LaValle and his stuff are fine, just leave him alone, Marvel, the man knows what he's doing. Honestly, I don't even mind Percy's Wolverine....its exactly what it is and claims to be and is supposed to be. There's obviously a market for it, let him keep doing what he's doing there too.

And Howard's of course doing another follow-up to Excalibur, who knows what precisely that is other than Betsy and/or Otherworld aligned, and like, its whatever at this point. Her stuff has been largely disconnected from the rest of the X-books ever since X of Swords, and I don't think that's going to change with this next one and hard to say anything about it or its niche or possible replacements without any further info yet.

Which leaves us with X-Force. Hoo boy. Sorry to beat a dead horse over and over and over and only then get stuck in a time loop that keeps it all going forever and ever and ever.....but please take this away from Percy and give it to someone else, and a massive overhaul to boot. It just does not work. Even a little bit. Its cast makes very little sense, they're terrible at their jobs, and here's the single biggest issue with the book, and why until it changes it'll never be anything more than mediocre at best, IMO.....

Their jobs don't even make sense.

The biggest flaw X-Force has, beyond even the obvious 'hundreds of thousands of mutants on the island, and this is all you can come up with to safeguard your whole country'.....is all its stories feel like filler, and they're always GOING to feel like filler....because everyone who reads it KNOWS its stories are filler.

Its a book whose bottom line premise is 'national security/protecting mutants/Krakoa's first line of defense'.....but the problem is, none of the plots it comes up with ever feel like anything other than busy work for them to feel like they're fulfilling their mandate.....

Because we KNOW what all the biggest threats to mutant existence are in this era, they're front and center in the plots of every OTHER book BUT X-Force, and X-Force not only never has anything to do with combating these threats beyond a data page telling us they died seventeen times in pursuit of one goal they never even managed once.....X-Force isn't even READ IN on the greatest existential threats TO the country that THEY'RE supposed to be the intel and defensive arm FOR!

Like talk about capping your ability to tell the story you said you set out to tell, all before you even make it out the gate!

So here's my take, retool X-Force from the ground up, concept to cast, top to bottom......and if you want it to FEEL like its the book about the people tasked with protecting Krakoan interests and safeguarding it from its greatest threats.....you need to make its stories RELEVANT to the things you keep hyping everywhere else as ACTUALLY being the greatest threats to mutant longevity and livelihoods.

That means your official X-Force organization needs to be AWARE of what's really out there gunning for them and why. They need the deets on Moira, they need access to Destiny or other precogs and actual COOPERATION with them. They need to actually BE on the same side, and maybe you do that by shaking up X-Force's infrastructure and the Quiet Council at the same time. Destiny might be more inclined to be forthcoming with her visions (and knowledge of internal threats, like Sinister's macabre museum of Moiras), if rather than having Raven on the Quiet Council, you had her head up or play an oversight role in X-Force. She's at least as trustworthy as Hank at this point, and honestly MORE likely to be invested in seeing Krakoa actually safe and preserved. Tell Hank thank you for your service then suggest he go spend some time in his lab, hey bud, when was the last time you played mad scientist huh, do you even remember? Or I mean, just throwing this out there, writers could always just come up with some reason for he and Brand to honeymoon in the Hole. Whatever.

But like....IRENE is a politician at heart, I believe, lol. Raven though? She's a spy. Spying is what she does best. So let her spy. For Krakoa, on Krakoa, she's good at multitasking. Look X-Force is already the book where shady people are shady, but if you're going to write that story like, make something MEATY out of it and use the best available characters for the task. Have X-Force be the book where Mystique and Sage and other X-Force operatives (because why the hell is the security infrastructure of your entire country - that you know is on EVERYONE'S hitlist, a group of like, six people who can all fit into a single break room for official national security briefings? At least put someone like Jamie Madrox or the other replicating mutant assassin Clay on the team so you can actually FIELD a whole team when you need one).

But like, have this be the book where nobody trusts anybody and Sage and Raven and other higher-ups are constantly keeping secrets and spying on each other and concocting contingency backstabbing plans that would make Abigail Brand SWOON with envy. Because they're actually GOOD at it and so USED to working with even people they've tried to kill and vice versa, and keeping secrets and betraying allies and enemies alike....this is old hat for them. They can compartmentalize. Sometimes characters can be conniving, duplicitous AND competent all at the same time! Its neat.

Tbh, rather than the same handful of characters, I'd rather X-Force be a book with an established power structure, the official authorities and oversight for the whole organization......and like, make this their book, but aside from them keep the rest of the cast constantly rotating. Give X-Force the feel of an actual sprawling organization we only see glimpses of at a time, much like how SWORD is rendered. There's a whole freaking cornucopia of infamous mutant mercenaries and spies from decades of stories where they were each hyped as being worthy of going toe to toe with Logan, Domino and Cable every time they debuted....and if you've got access to ALL of them, why not use them? Each story arc, X-Force Command just picks the operatives with the best skillsets and powers for the job, send them in, and when the mission is over tell them good work, now take a couple weeks off, there's literally no need to work our people to the point of breakdowns if we don't have to.

So you've got them sending shapeshifters like Courier and Copycat in to infiltrate Orchis installations, and with telepaths guarding the people they replaced and continuously piping them intel to help keep the ruse up, while keeping a constant line of contact. The Man with the Peacock Tattoo was sighted at a casino in Monaco, so send in Roulette to be your high roller, making a scene and keeping all eyes on her while Randall Shire uses his voice compulsion to make him lower his psy-blocker shields enough for Black Swan to nab the intel they need out of his head. Then Postman brushes past him on the way to the bathroom and makes him forget he ever saw any of them, and Black Box, who was using his technopathy to watch from the security systems, erases any digital trace they were ever there. Fatale's on extraction, teleports them home so they can't be tracked by gate travel.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 08-19-2022 at 05:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

Coven Akkaba's up to some ****-**** and know to prepare for telepathic intrusion and with magical protections against physical ones...even without aid from magic practitioners (though X-Force should have some on staff too), they have contingencies. Cipher tries using her invisibility and phasing to sneak through their shields without raising an alarm, Voght tries misting past their defenses, Pathway tunnels through subspace, and after each attempt trips the magic alarms, Timeslip and Sway walk the clock back just a few seconds, letting their attempted infiltrator abort without setting anything off as they pivot to try another approach. The key ends up being Grave Robber, a Haitian mutant who can craft psychic replicas of a person based on others' memories of them, and who has some magic training as well....they had Quiet Bill clairvoyantly watching the sorceress they were tracking, and Julius pulls from his memories to create a facsimile that when paired with his magic, strolls right through the sorceress' wards and deactivates them from the other side. Their target's prepared for telepathic intrusion - even in her sleep - but dreams are a different doorway. Fontanelle gets to work planting a subconscious trigger, that paired with the voodoo doll Johnny Dee's going to make from a strand of her hair, will let X-Force piggyback when she partakes in her coven's planned ritual the next day, allowing them to tweak their anti-mutant spell to their own ends.

Their enemy on a certain mission has good intel of their own on X-Force operatives, their individual powers and weaknesses? No problem. That's why they have Leon Nunez on staff to give them new tattoos before each mission, with supplementary powers they can use in case of an emergency.

And the big thing is, a Krakoan intelligence force doesn't have to be just the mutant CIA. The biggest threats to Krakoa all keep circling back to different timelines and possible futures, visions Destiny's seen, information gathered from Moira's past lives, etc. And if the ACTUAL biggest threats to mutants and Krakoan security are Orchis/the Phalanx/Moira X/Nimrod/Omega Sentinel....and literally ALL the actionable intel Krakoa has ever had about these specific threats all ALSO comes from time travel, Destiny's visions, Moira's past lives, etc....

Why WOULDN'T you consider gathering intel from alternate timelines and on possible futures to be a priority for your intelligence network? Its not like Irene and Moira are the only two possible sources of that. Have stories where X-Force uses a circuit of precogs and extradimensional teleporters, to literally send operatives into different futures and timelines identified as possible threats or related to them. X-Force can be a book where any group made from a combination of mutant heroes, villains, mercenaries and criminals, can like, spend a story arc navigating any dystopian or apocalyptic future imaginable, having a limited window of time to figure out what was the point of no return for this timeline, the event past which this outcome couldn't be averted....and get back to their extraction point before the stable link to their own timeline closes.

Put together a task force of technopaths and send them into futures where mutants are already at war with the Phalanx, to test out various tactics and find the most effective ways of combating them. Etc, etc.

BUT I DIGRESS.

Anyway, yeah, that's my take on how the biggest missed opportunity of the line continues to be X-Force, not just because its like...not great and most people find it boring, but because in the right hands, it COULD be hitting all the beats that IM, XMR and HOX/POX used to great effect....its just not even AIMED in the right direction! I'm like, wrap up the Colossus and Mikhail plot, let Piotr step down from the Council to deal and while having to already replace him, Mystique steps down in exchange for a lead role in X-Force. Irene's visions have them convinced she could be more effective as a hand on the steering wheel there instead of just one vote out of twelve in a Council where nobody trusts her enough that she can ever really put forth motions of her own. Replace Piotr and Raven with some more diversity like any of the New Mutants....Dani, Xi'an and Berto all make at least as much sense as Kate....and then shuffle Mystique over to X-Force, expand its organization and operations, add other mutants with known espionage experience or history being shadowy schemers like The Alchemist, Sabra, John Wraith, etc, and then use a combination of precogs, clairvoyants, and technopaths as their actual analysts and early warning systems, while rotating guest stars every mission, based on a combination of suitability and narrative potential.

And I think that would make the line as a whole a lot more cohesive, while everything still exists independently and has its own clear identity. In terms of other 'gaps' where there are still books or premises that would fit in well, I think you could make a hell of a book out of a team of psychic surgeons, addressing the trauma of various mutants in a psychological thriller where they go into the minds of their patient to fight off things like mind control, enemy psychics, possession....or play detective trying to get to the bottom of whatever acted as the catalyst for a mutant's powers acting up or going out of control, etc. I still think a book about a mercenary band of Arakkii exploring the cosmos would be bomb as hell, or a book about SWORD launching a ship crewed by both Krakoans and Arakki on a joint venture aimed at building bonds/cooperation between their nations and which ends up in the middle of like, cosmic shenanigans stuck at the far side of the universe or whatever.

And I'd kill for a Krakoan version of Alias, where some minor or new mutant character takes on a belligerent Jessica Jones type role as they start asking questions about some of the shadier things on Krakoa and butt heads with the Quiet Council, X-Force, the Hellfire Courts and various powerful or influential mutants with skeletons they don't want unearthed and threatening their current agendas, but with the protagonist representing the average mutant's right to be informed about key details 'the big names' like to keep out of the official record books.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 08-19-2022 at 06:03 PM.

About to read your posts, BobbysWorld. I just wanted to transfer this post from SOS as I think it helps tell the tale of where things are.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    You may not be wrong, given this harsh assessment...
    of June's sales:

https://www.comicbookrevolution.com/...ales-rankings/

X-Men Franchise

14 X-Men #12

26 Wolverine #22

28 Immortal X-Men #3

32 X-Men Red #3

63 Knights of X #2

65 X-Men Red #4

66 Marauders #3

68 Legion of X #2

75 Knights of X #3

76 New Mutants #26

78 X-Men ’92 House of XCII #2 (Of 5)

108 Sabretooth #4 (Of 5)

110 X-Force #29

124 Legion of X #1 (Resolicitation)

126 Wolverine Patch #3 (Of 5)

153 Immortal X-Men #2 (Resolicitation)

163 Wolverine #21 (Resolicitation)

178 X-Men #11 (Resolicitation)

192 X-Men Red #2 (Resolicitation)

There were no X-Men titles in the Top 10. There is only one X-Men title in the Top 25. There were only four X-Men titles in the Top 50. Things are not looking good for the X-Men franchise at the moment. I have always been concerned about the X-Men’s sustainability once Jonathan Hickman decided to leave the franchise. Marvel Comics has a burgeoning problem on its hands with the X-Men franchise at the moment.

Wolverine appears to have found its natural home bobbing up and down the 20-29 spots in the cart. Immortal X-Men continues to plummet down the rankings. Issue #2 took the number 14 spot. However, Immortal X-Men #3 fell out of the Top 25 and down to the number 28 spot. I have a feeling that Immortal X-Men may be destined to fall out of the Top 50 by its sixth issue. The next few months are going to be critical.

X-Men Red continues to plummet in the rankings at an alarming rate. Issue #2 took the number 28 spot. X-Men Red #3 came in at the number 32 spot. X-Men Red #4 dropped out of the Top 50 and down to the number 65 spot. There is a good chance that X-Men Red drops out of the Top 75 with the next issue.

Marauders continues to drop like a dead duck in the rankings. Issue #2 came in at the number 38 spot. Marauders #3 plummeted out of the Top 50 and down to the number 66 spot. This is no surprise as Marauders is an awful title. I would fully expect Marauders to continue its slide all the way out of the Top 75 by the next issue and possibly out of the Top 100 by the sixth issue.

Knights of X is an atrocious title so I am not shocked that this title has cratered in the ratings. In fact, Marvel Comics has announced that Knights of X is no longer being solicited as an ongoing title and will be canceled with the fifth issue. Zero surprises. I said this title was Dead on Arrival in April 2022 when Knights of X #1 debuted outside of the Top 50 at the number 51 spot. Issue #2 fell to the number 63 spot and issue #3 fell further to the number 75 spot.

This should not have surprised Marvel Comics at all. Tini Howard’s Excalibur was a sales failure. Knights of X was just a reboot of that Excalibur title. And Tini Howard was a sales failure. Again. How Howard continues to get work from Marvel Comics is utterly beyond me. She must be a really nice person or something in order to keep getting work from Marvel Comics despite never producing any sales successes.

Legion of X #2 nearly dropped out of the Top 75 by coming in at the number 68 spot. This title is also in deep trouble with just its second issue. I would expect Legion of X to slide out of the Top 100 by its fifth issue.

New Mutants continues its freefall. Issue #25 came in at the number 40 spot. New Mutants #26 fell all the way out of the Top 75 and down to the number 76 spot. New Mutants is another X-Men title that seems destined to drop out of the Top 100 in a few months. ...
    making it sound as though 'Destiny of X' is the Fallen Angels/X-Corp of the Krakoa era's 3 [4?] ages, so far.
    This is rough and it seems like your last sentence may be right.
    I don't normally do this but I implore anyone who is reading the books for free to consider purchasing at least X-Men Red. That book CANNOT go anywhere!

I do think X-Men Red, X-Men, and Immortal should stay as is. Although after the 12th council member issue, who knows what direction Gillen will take Immortal. Wolverine too. The others I feel need to be reworked but I'm looking forward to trying Exiles.
    Ayala is one of the strongest writers imo so I hope they keep them on New Mutants.
    Last edited by JB; 08-19-2022 at 06:18 PM.

BobbysWorld, I really love what you wrote about a book focused on Bishop's War College and how it can pair nicely with a Magic School book by Ayala, both highlighting the younger mutants. I also very much agree with Legion having the potential to the be the third pillar along Red and Immortal, having X-Men being its own thing as it should be.

And X-Force being a sprawling mutant intelligence book sounds divine. The X-Office should just hire you and call it a day.

Floppy sales are worth more than digital, right? As in, Marvel focuses on those more? I can stop buying digital and start buying physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Floppy sales are worth more than digital, right? As in, Marvel focuses on those more? I can stop buying digital and start buying physical.
    I think either way is fine, the above breakdown focuses on floppies from comic stores. But I would guess Marvel views a digital sale the same?

PolarIceFire just posted the July numbers in the SOS thread, and thankfully they improved!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Should be noticed X-men books tend to do better in digital than most Marvel books, or comics in general.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

X-Men - is decent
    Immortal X-Men - is good

If there is a relaunch:

LoX can end.
    X-Force can end.
    Marauders can end.
    If New Mutants should either turn into New X-Men or Young X-Men it should shortly be put out of it's misery a hour later....

Astonishing Member

Question: If we get a reshuffle can we get a better more dangerous more vile villain than Orchis as the central pillar of this era? They’ve improved on villains since the beginning of it where we had to endure the Kids Hellfire Choice Awards, British Racist Tea Grandpas, Mr eventually will be relevant Peacock, the lazy member of the Russian mutant family, Racist Chinese businesswoman, Beast, and Nature Girl, but good lord does the supposed greatest threat to Krakoa still suck even after they’ve done their best to try throwing more interesting villains like Brand, MODOK, and Sinister at them to try and spice them up. We are at the point they e resorted to adding Judas Traveller to the group to try and make them more interesting. A character best described as someone even the creators didn’t know the story of originally

You could even make it Apocalypse who comes back as the big bad