Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Collected editions & classic comics book club

Inspired by Mister Mets quest to find better comic book conversations and upping comic book reading in general it was thought that there might be some interest in forming a book club here on the CE&CC board. So here it goes, the Book Club Starts here and now!

The way it will work is like this, each month there will be a cattle call of sorts where those interested in participating suggest titles that they'd like to see discussed. As for what those titles should be I'd say a loose definition for "classic" would be a book that was published at least ten years of ago and for the purposes of this book club it should be readily available in either print or digitally at an affordable price and be relatively self contained.

So, if you're interested sign up here with your suggestion on what we should read and in two days time I'll post a new thread with a poll and once the winning title is picked we can all start reading and discussing.

For me, my suggestion would be Warren Ellis' Orbiter. It's a fantastic sci-fi epic full of mystry and intrigue with fantastic art by Colleen Doran.

What would you want to see read?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I'd be up for it in theory. I'll nominate something I have been meaning to get to but could use a little kick to finally tackle-Batmanga Vol. 1 by Jiro Kuwata.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I dont really have anything to nominate. But I will jump on board with what the group decides
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I know many people have read this many times, but it's a story that never gets old for me (and it's basically an evergreen release, available in multiple formats). That said, my nomination for the inaugural CE&CC Book Club is:

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing: The Anatomy Lesson (ST #'s 20-27).

Thanks for taking the reins on this, thwhtGuardian!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I know many people have read this many times, but it's a story that never gets old for me (and it's basically an evergreen release, available in multiple formats). That said, my nomination for the inaugural CE&CC Book Club is:

I havnt read much Swamp thing so I could get behind that
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I'd be up for it in theory. I'll nominate something I have been meaning to get to but could use a little kick to finally tackle-Batmanga Vol. 1 by Jiro Kuwata.

-M
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

Great suggestions, I could definitely get behind Batmanga as I loved the snippet we got I think back in the delux version of 2014's Detective Comics #27 and who doesn't love Swamp Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont really have anything to nominate. But I will jump on board with what the group decides
    Glad you're on board man, and I can't wait to see what other people are in to.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Glad you're on board man, and I can't wait to see what other people are in to.
    Thanks for setting it up. It is a great idea. Mets for suggesting it and you for doing the work setting it up. Thanks to both

I'm down for any books mentioned. I have no problem rereading Orbiter or Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, or checking out Batmanga.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets